• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 VJ Print Issues

os101king

3 year old Mutoh VJ 1204, no major service ever done, just had an issue with an empty cartridge that was pulling ink into itself and not printing correctly. I fixed that but the vinyl I was using tunneled on the platen and I believe I got headstrikes. No amount of cleaning has made any difference in this pattern. Any ideas as per the photo? It's coming in a sec...

p1013101.jpg

Attachments

• p1013101.jpg
    p1013101.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 106

os101king

Is head replacement (if that winds up being the case) a possible for a DIY repair??? Is it something that requires specialized tools and knowledge or just extreme patience and care?

MachServTech

If you have worked on other digital printers, sure, but its not something I would walk folks with no exp. through over the phone. If you insist, get the service manual and practice doing all of the alignments first. That way if you don't install the head properly you will have a good understanding of what the alignments are supposed to look like.

os101king

i'm in communication with tech where I bought it currently. trying to narrow down the actual issue BEFORE i start any parts ordering. I will definitely digest the manual fully and work through some alignment prints and practice before I try a replacement, thank you. It's not a matter of insisting, it's simply a matter of funds. They are not available, so I am forced to do my own service. In fact they're not available for the parts either, but I can't afford to be down long. Here are more images. Printed a test file one way then rotated with different results....

Attachments

• 0921091043.jpg
    0921091043.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 0921091044.jpg
    0921091044.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 0921091044a.jpg
    0921091044a.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 0921091045.jpg
    0921091045.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 0921091045a.jpg
    0921091045a.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 0921091045b.jpg
    0921091045b.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 80

dclet

I will definitely digest the manual fully and work through some alignment prints and practice before I try a replacement, thank you.

I do not think that is what he meant...

I have been looking for a "service manual" also.

As for the pictures...doesn't look like a head issue...you sure it's clean under the carriage

I have several nozzles on my vj out, not currently an issue but in my search of idea's and remedies I found this ~
http://www.printhead911.com

os101king

relatively sure... guess a dental mirror (if i had such a thing) would help greatly. no other way to see under there.....

John Butto

test prints

I would use different media and a different profile before getting into anything first, how does your test print with the lines look, are they all clean. I to have a 3 year old 1204 and it still runs great, keeping my fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.

os101king

Yes, they're all clean. Used five different profiles so far, no difference in ANYTHING. Nozzle check is as follows.

from left to right first magenta block partially there, missing most on the bottom three lines, second block gone completely. y and c are perfect, then K is about the same as M for the first block and again the second is completely gone.

os101king

Wait, different media? Did you look at the photos? It's ONLY in magenta and black. Would you seriously think that that could be the media?

randya

Can we assume that by cleaning you mean head soaks as well?

Missing nozzles can explain most of what you've posted.

It does not seem to explain the first pic with the brown with the green at the edge.
I am assuming that that should be black and that the green is on the right side of the print.

Just to rule out the RIP:

http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/68/

trebor28

Seems very simular to what happend to my valuejet, mine had a head strike that pushed the printhead up at one side and so wasnt able to make good contact with the capping station.

The engineer didnt need to replace head, but just realiign it.