• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh 1324 shuts off before initilizing

Mrs. Fielden

I have been trying to fix problems on my Mutoh 1324 that all started with some clogged nozzles. I am a teacher, and I have a school-based business where students manage and perform all operations. Since this is a real-world learning experience for them, we do not make enough money to afford to bring out a service technician. So I am doing the work myself while knowing nothing about this machine. However, I am learning a lot! I do a lot of research before taking anything apart. I have made mistakes and have had to replace some things to make up for it.

The last time I turned my printer off was when I was taking the dampers out to decide if I needed 4 new ones or not (because I ruined 1 or more of them when I was trying something else). Anyways, I finally received and replaced the dampers today.

Then I decided to make sure that the capping station was saturated before putting the head back. The solvent would not soak into the capping station. So I assumed there was a clog somewhere in the lines below. I tested piece by piece until I got to the point where I could not push solvent through easily (just before the motor). I used a little more pressure, tried squeezing the lines coming out of the motor, and eventually I was able to get the solvent to run through the motor. During the process, however, some of the solvent would come out from the seal between the syringe and the lines and drip. I do not see any elecontrics that it could have dripped on, but again, I know nothing.

I get the printhead carriage back together, and I cannot get the printer to stay on. When I turn it on, the display turns on and shows the model name/number and software version. Then it clicks off just before it starts to initialize. Did I cause a short somewhere?

Related or unrelated - my wiper won't pop back into place when I manually push it back.

Any help you can provide would be wonderful! I cannot get a tech out here. There are none that I can find nearby, so we would end up paying a lot of money just to get someone to travel here.

Ssignature

The power supply is "crowbar"ing. Meaning it's shutting off due to excessive current load or a short. Likely that you got ink or cleaning solution in some electronics. It may recover if you unplug it for an hour or two.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I agree with Ssignature but it's really rare for something to short in the maintenance area. I would unlock the head and push it all the way to the left of the machine and then turn the machine on and see what happens. Also, unplugging and waiting for a while could help as well.

Mrs. Fielden

Thank you both for your replies.

Ok I have moved the head to the left, let the machine sit, unplugged, for a couple of hours, and I still have the same result. Other ideas?

Ssignature

What’s happening is that the power supply or the main board is failing initialization. It could be an ink spill - but I’ve seen many running with ink covered main boards. It could be some other sort of short, or a main board failure. About all you can do at this stage is wait some more with it unplugged. If it were a problem in the maintenance station causing the carriage to not release , you’d get a CR Overload error, not a shut down.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You could try unplugging the maintenance station and powering on. If it is the station causing the issue the machine should turn on and give you an error. If ti still shuts down, you could have main board damage.

Mrs. Fielden

How do I access the main board? Is there anything I can do to check and see if there is a short? Or can I do something to help dry it out faster (if that's the case)?

TMAhoia

How do I access the main board? Is there anything I can do to check and see if there is a short? Or can I do something to help dry it out faster (if that's the case)?
Hello I know this is an old forum but please did you ever get the problem fixed? I have the same problem with my mutoh 1324x doesn’t even initialize but just turns on and then off

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hello I know this is an old forum but please did you ever get the problem fixed? I have the same problem with my mutoh 1324x doesn’t even initialize but just turns on and then off

Usually that's going to be a power supply of main board going bad. I'd test the power supply with a voltmeter to make sure it's outputting the proper power. If it is, it's probably a bad main board. Before you swap out the board, I would unplug everything, air dust all the terminals and then plug everything back in. Sometimes it's just a bad connection. I had a brand new out of the box 1324 do this recently and it ended up being the power board.

TMAhoia

Usually that's going to be a power supply of main board going bad. I'd test the power supply with a voltmeter to make sure it's outputting the proper power. If it is, it's probably a bad main board. Before you swap out the board, I would unplug everything, air dust all the terminals and then plug everything back in. Sometimes it's just a bad connection. I had a brand new out of the box 1324 do this recently and it ended up being the power board.
Thank you so much for answering my question, Okay so here is the thing now- so when I plug my 1324x in is turns on and then starts to initalize- I turn on the power button and immediately it gives me a code of E152err Base fuse.....I live in the islands so it would be very hard to get a tech out here on my side. Wondering if I should open up the printer and check the base fuse...any help on how to go about this will be very much appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you so much for answering my question, Okay so here is the thing now- so when I plug my 1324x in is turns on and then starts to initalize- I turn on the power button and immediately it gives me a code of E152err Base fuse.....I live in the islands so it would be very hard to get a tech out here on my side. Wondering if I should open up the printer and check the base fuse...any help on how to go about this will be very much appreciated.

Yes. This particular error is referring to the fuse on the CR board. That's the board that the other end of the head cables plug into. The fuses are small ceramic types so don't expect a big glass tube. Luckily they are user replaceable so hopefully that's the issue!

Modman

Check the T fence (clear band) that is directly behind the head carriage. I had that happen and somehow that band(the t fence ) had gotten flipped up and outta position and wouldn't let the head assembly move without giving a code

premiercolour

Merchant Member

We have them in stock to ship from s. California.

TMAhoia

Yes. This particular error is referring to the fuse on the CR board. That's the board that the other end of the head cables plug into. The fuses are small ceramic types so don't expect a big glass tube. Luckily they are user replaceable so hopefully that's the issue!
When we checked the fuse on CR Board, it worked fine. Anyhow we changed out whole CR Board with a new one and same error message for base fuse. We checked the fuses on the main board and only the F5 fuse was not working. It was replaced but again the fuse had blown. Is there any reason why it would do that? Could it be something with the print head? Your help will be so much appreciated.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
probably, but double check your ribbon cables first
perhaps it is as simple as one of the conductors is "folded over" , inside the socket, creating a short or spilled ink (the ink is conductive) a little cleanup of ribbons and surfaces might help

TMAhoia

Thanks for your guys help. Will get right to this today and hopefully the outcome is good. I did get a new extra printhead just in case but am hoping its something with the ribbon cables to easily fix.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i know I have jumped the gun and changed heads, overlooking a simpler fix
i will keep my fingers crossed