• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mutoh banding

wesley

hey guys, was wondering if someone could enlighten me on a problem i am having with banding on my vj 1204. i am printing on oracal 3651. when i use a 1440 profile i get no banding at all, but of course this takes much longer and cost more in ink than the 720 profiles. I have tried every 720 profile that i can get my hands on and they all produce very noticeable horizontal wave banding.
However while messing with the EFFECT settings on the printer, i set it on wave superfine and got a great print with a 720 profile.
It took quite a bit longer to print on this setting, but i am ok with that, but my question is... is this superfine mode using alot of ink like a 1440 profile does. (could that be why it looks as good as a print made at 1440dpi)
thanks so much for any advice on this:rock-n-roll:

randya

A properly made profile will use no more ink at 1440 that it would at 540.

It takes the same amount of ink to get the same density at all resolution.

A profile designed at 1440 uses all small drops and runs at 16 passes.

At 720 and 540, profiles will use small, medium and large (a small and medium drop together) at 8 passes or 6 passes (think time to dry)

What this means is that you cant change resolution in a profile without corrupting the profile and losing control of how much ink is put down.

Super fine only prints with 1/2 the channels.
The VJ has an 8 channel head, 2 each CMYK

So in superfine you are printing at half speed, same amount of ink only being printed from 4 channels.

Sparky is asking the right question, outdoor printing is all about the evaporation of solvent.

That consists of 3 functions

1. How much ink you are putting down.
2. How much and how fast the media is taking ink.
3. Temperature of the heaters and the environment of the printer to quickly evaporate solvent. Solvent evaporates slower in higher humitiy environments.

Also, check and make sure your Page Feed is calibrated properly.

Try the preripped files:

http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/68/

Sparky

42.40.50 thanks

Randy knows his stuff - so read that a couple of times to let it sink in.
I was having some banding issues as well, and discovered that small heat changes can make a big difference. What helped me out was to have a high pre-heat, lower platten and high post - just like you, but more heat. I am running around 46,44,50 for most materials, but your material will vary depending on humidity and temperature.

(Randy - Thanks for the moving advice-easier than I thought!)

randya

Randy knows his stuff - so read that a couple of times to let it sink in.
I was having some banding issues as well, and discovered that small heat changes can make a big difference. What helped me out was to have a high pre-heat, lower platten and high post - just like you, but more heat. I am running around 46,44,50 for most materials, but your material will vary depending on humidity and temperature.

(Randy - Thanks for the moving advice-easier than I thought!)

Please post what you did for everybody else. Your welcome!