• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon Jr.Problem

oreen

I have a Mutoh Falcon Jr. - I recently switched to ultra inks, the printer was working fine but it is now giving problems. When I send a print to the printer it starts printing then it lays down a heavy puddles of dark ink. When I do a nozzle check the black printhead is printing a dark green.Does anyone know why this would happen? What do I need to change.

Derf

Look at your capping station! if it is dark with ink then you pump hose is clogged and your pump will need replacing.

Is this printer under warranty?
Can you post a pic of your nozzle check?

oreen

I check the capping station- all the hoses were clogged. I have cleared most of the lines with cleaning solution. I will order the pump but i will try it again when I have fully cleaned the capping station and lines.

MobileImpact

if all the lines were clogged, check the big line under the spitton pad also. this has a habit of getting clogged and coming un done. the rubber hose just slips over a nipple on the holder. if it becomes clogged, like the smaller lines, and slips off the nipple, ink will drain into your electronics box.

Kevin

Jackpine

Did you do a flush with the cleaning cartridge first before changing your ink from ecoPlus to ecoUltra? I was told they are not compatable and will cause problems. Dale of "SignsByDale"
uses a shot syringe ( from a farm store ) with the tip blunted to put cleaning fluid in the tubing and then to extract. Try a couple of Power Cleanings.

Jackpine

if all the lines were clogged, check the big line under the spitton pad also. this has a habit of getting clogged and coming un done. the rubber hose just slips over a nipple on the holder. if it becomes clogged, like the smaller lines, and slips off the nipple, ink will drain into your electronics box.

Kevin
I was told by a CalGraph tech that there are two pads in the spitton station.He said the bottem one can be cleaned and reused by washing them out and letting it dry. I change the top one when it is saturated. The pads are not that much to replace. I now replace both. FYI SSK ( 800 255-0165 ) sell these and a really nice small foam cleaning pad with a long handle for getting around the capping station and the edges of the print head. Good luck

oreen

I am in the Caribbean region, so I have do my own service. I clean all the line did several washes and power cleaned. I sent a photo to Mutoh customer care, the black printhead is not firing. I now have the CMY printhead firing, so I am printing without the black for now. Does anyone have a pdf file of the service manual to replace the black printhead. No ink is pumping in the black lines, even if I try to wash it no ink is coming through the lines. Luckily I still completed a major job printing from CMY.

Derf

oreen:

Print a large flood of black! the head my not be firing now but the piezo will start to push the ink out. if that does not work their my be an electrical problem. You should have at least a few jets firing.

Tip: if you need to change the head write down the number on the head before you install it because that is the voltage number and you will need to enter that when you set your voltage.

rtallent69

a tip

roland max ink cart are the same as he mutoh i take the chip off of the roland cart and put the mutoh sticker on the cart and i print with roland max ink whats also nice is i can buy the roland 440ml carts and the colors are so much better and less problems

Color Dude

rtallent--
You are correct they are the same inks with different labels, but be very careful using those 440ml carts on that printer. The weight those large carts put on the injection needle is severe and can cause the needle to break off inside the ink carriage. Trust me, you dont want to have to replace one of those. Mutoh is supposed to be coming out with a larger ink box for the larger ink carts, but until then I would proceed with caution.

As for the problem that oreen is having, it is a good possibility that you have blown a fuse on the mainboard if you have no black firing at all. If you perform the nozzle check and there is not black whatso ever firing, then I will almost guarantee the fuse for the black head is blown. If you do not have one of these fuses or know of anybody that has one and also knows how to install it, your going to be out the cost of a mainboard. The fuse replacement is very easy if you have the fuse and a soldering gun. You would need to know a technician of some sort that would have these fuses. If your machine is out of warranty, maybe Mutoh will send you one. I have the fuses, but they are the 50's fuses, & the fuses on the mainboard are 20's or 30's. I have switch out the original fuses with the 50's and have not had any issues. I will get to the shop in the morning and send you a picture of the mainboard or post it here with arrows that show the fuses to check. You will need an alligator clip to check the fuse to insure that is the problem. You will simply ground the fuse and try a nozzle check. If it prints black after you put the clip on, then you know the fuse is blown and needs replacing.

Color Dude

Oreen:

Here is a picture of the fuses on the mainboard you need to take a look at if there is no black printing at all. This means at all during the nozzle check, if you print a nozzle check and there is just a white space where there should be black, try the steps in my earlier post to see if the fuse is blown.

Take the alligator clip and clip it over the black fuse making sure that the clip is on the metal on both sides of the black fuse. Try the nozzle check again.

Let me know if you need any further assistance or have questions.

Attachments

• PJMainboard Fuses.jpg
    PJMainboard Fuses.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 192

oreen

I checked the dampers- the colors all full but the black has no ink in it. I also checked the fuses and they have continuity, so they seem to be ok.

signexpress

print head not firing-change printhead

If you need to change the printhead, what number are you talking about writing down and where do you enter this number?

Derf

When you put in a new head you need to set the voltage in the maintenance menu as a set up procedure. I have not hade to do it my self but I watched the tech do it a few times. Also I know a Tech who worked on these machines and he reminded me to make sure when I go to replace the head to write down the voltage so you don't need to take the head back off the get the number.