• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Ink Rumour

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Word on the street is Mutoh is about to introduce a new solvent ink in June. Supposedly dries faster. I can't 100% confirm but sounds like the old ink will be discontinued and there may be a conversion requirement similar to Roland's switch from TR1 to TR2 inks. Just a heads up!

sign diva

Will they charge for the changes. I just bought a new mutoh 54” printer from Sign Warehouse. I haven’t picked it up yet. Thinking I may need to cancel order.

rjssigns

I have a Mutoh 1624x and it came from the dealer with their house brand ink.(no clue what it is) I've turned jobs in three hours(not my normal workflow) with no callbacks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Will they charge for the changes. I just bought a new mutoh 54” printer from Sign Warehouse. I haven’t picked it up yet. Thinking I may need to cancel order.

I'm not sure of the details yet but Sign Warehouse sells it's own ink with those machines so they might not be affected.

Saturn

Aging Member
For those of us that didn't go through this with Rolands, what was the conversion like? My biggest worry (aside from downtime and gremlins in the swap over) would be color profile shifts. I never quite trust the sales folks when they say "Don't worry, it's exactly the same..."

rjssigns

I have a 1624x and ink will be for that series of printer. No clue on the switchover. Didn't get an answer yet.

sign diva

I'm not sure of the details yet but Sign Warehouse sells it's own ink with those machines so they might not be affected.
When I bought my first Mutoh Falcon JR they did and ink change a few months later and it caused my Maintance station to go out. The wouldn’t cover it under warrantee. I remember I was also required to buy a kit to change something else. This was years ago. Don’t want a repeat.

sign diva

Word on the street is Mutoh is about to introduce a new solvent ink in June. Supposedly dries faster. I can't 100% confirm but sounds like the old ink will be discontinued and there may be a conversion requirement similar to Roland's switch from TR1 to TR2 inks. Just a heads up!
I am in the process of buying a new Mutoh printer, so I had the sales rep look into this issue for me. I was worried because years ago I they did this right after I bought a the Mutoh Falcon JR and the ink change required a modification kit that they wouldn’t cover under warantee and Maintance station went out due to not handling new ink. Great news from the sales rep after speaking with Mutoh is that it will be a seamless transition. No modifications. New inks will be introduced in July. The colors can be changed out as old ink cartridges run out and will interact well with old ink. There will be no flushing required. Hope this takes the worry off of you as it did me.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just got some clarification from Mutoh. As stated above, there won't be a firmware upgrade or flush required. There will be a new item added to the maintenance kits as the new ink is more likely to clog in the waste tubes. It's basically an extra waste tube in case yours clogs.

An important note: The new ink is not compatible with the shipping fluid that is normally inside brand new print heads as it will clog. It will require a flush before inking up. Print heads with the new shipping fluid will begin shipping once the old heads are out of stock. So if you have a head on the shelf, or purchase a head in the near future, it will need to be flushed before using the new inks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Looks like it took them another month to sell off the old inks. No more old inks in stock at Mutoh. New inks are already on the way to us.

You may also notice that DX5 based Mutoh printers (1204, 1304, 1604, 1614 etc.) are not mentioned. Those models are considered legacy now. I have not heard any confirmation from Mutoh that the new inks will work properly in legacy (DX5) machines. They are not mentioned in any of the memos Mutoh has released. For anyone not wanting to switch to the new inks or looking to save, we now carry the Fuze MT Eco Ultra Ink from Bordeaux. No flush or firmware update required.

Also, an update on the firmware situation. Although there won't be a required firmware upgrade to change to the new inks, there is a required firmware upgrade to use the new heads. If you order a print head and it comes with part number DH-40274 or DH-40275 see the chart below for the minimum required firmware version to use the new heads for each model.

Model
Firmware Version
VJ-628​
v1.09​
VJ-628X​
v1.02​
VJ-1628X​
v1.03​
VJ-1324​
v3.07​
VJ-1324X​
v3.07​
VJ-1624​
v3.09​
VJ-1624X​
v3.07​
VJ-1638​
v3.18​
VJ-1638X​
v3.17​
VJ-2638​
v3.18​
VJ-2638X​
v3.17​

hotboxdp

Looks like it took them another month to sell off the old inks. No more old inks in stock at Mutoh. New inks are already on the way to us.

You may also notice that DX5 based Mutoh printers (1204, 1304, 1604, 1614 etc.) are not mentioned. Those models are considered legacy now. I have not heard any confirmation from Mutoh that the new inks will work properly in legacy (DX5) machines. They are not mentioned in any of the memos Mutoh has released. For anyone not wanting to switch to the new inks or looking to save, we now carry the Fuze MT Eco Ultra Ink from Bordeaux. No flush or firmware update required.

Also, an update on the firmware situation. Although there won't be a required firmware upgrade to change to the new inks, there is a required firmware upgrade to use the new heads. If you order a print head and it comes with part number DH-40274 or DH-40275 see the chart below for the minimum required firmware version to use the new heads for each model.

Model
Firmware Version
VJ-628​
v1.09​
VJ-628X​
v1.02​
VJ-1628X​
v1.03​
VJ-1324​
v3.07​
VJ-1324X​
v3.07​
VJ-1624​
v3.09​
VJ-1624X​
v3.07​
VJ-1638​
v3.18​
VJ-1638X​
v3.17​
VJ-2638​
v3.18​
VJ-2638X​
v3.17​
I have a 1204 and just recently replaced my DX5 print head with a new DX5. Your Bordeaux inks work fine with my printer?

Johnny Best

I too have a Valuejet 1204. Are the Bordeaux inks just as good as the Mutoh eco solve inks. Mutoh says 3 years exterior without lam on their inks, and Bordeaux says 2 year exterior without lam.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I too have a Valuejet 1204. Are the Bordeaux inks just as good as the Mutoh eco solve inks. Mutoh says 3 years exterior without lam on their inks, and Bordeaux says 2 year exterior without lam.

That's a good question. We just started selling this for Mutohs but we have been selling them for Roland and Mimaki for years. No complaints on outdoor durability. My guess would be Bordeaux is just being overly cautious with their claims.