• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh valuejet 1204 print problem-need help please!

BSL Graphix

I have a mutoh 1204 from signwarehouse, I bought about 9 month ago. I print and clean regularly. I printed a few jobs yesterday with no problems, today I started to print a job and noticed the black was getting "light." I did a nozzle check and noticed I was missing a whole block of black. I did a clean, and it didn't help. I checked my ink status and it shows 33% of black. I looked and can see air in my black lines. Is it possible that I'm running out of ink and the status is wrong? The machine was printing flawlessly yesterday and back on Tuesday I did a normal clean and nozzle check and it was perfect. I've never had a problem with this machine, and don't really know what to do beyond normal cleaning maintenance. Can someone give me some advice, and or help! thanks!!

Attachments

• PICT0335.jpg
    PICT0335.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 939

psbc2009

Print problem

Power the machine down And pull the black ink cartridge to check it manually. Turning the cartridge side to side you should be able to feel the ink. I had the same issue on one of my Mutoh 1614's couple months ago. Hopefully it will be a simple fix by replacing the black cartridge. Good luck!

It is unlikely that the ink cartridge is empty. The in lines only separate at the carriage. Both lines would probably be empty. It sounds like an air leak. The damper might be bad. Try running a couple long cleanings and see if it fills the line. If it does and then goes back over time, you have an air leak on that line.

FatCat

You can pull your black cartridge and check if you have ink...

Could be a crack or air leak in the black line, but since you're machine is so new it is doubtful.

You likely are getting a poor seal around the head and capping station due to clogged drain lines or gunk around the head and cap. Do a thorough cleaning around the head and capping station you may find lint/dirt/hair/fibers that are hanging there. Next do a quick headwash and notice if you see ink going down both drain lines. *TIP: I use a squirt bottle and often put a little solvent straight down the cap to help rinse out any old ink or clogs hanging in the pump or tubing. If you are not printing every day this symptom is fairly typical.

BSL Graphix

thanks for replys everyone! FATCAT, I cleaned around print head, wiper, and capping station with cleaning fluid and swab like mutoh recommends and noticed no lint/buildup on anything. Are you talking about the rubber seal around top of capping station? If so, it is clean. Does your tip mean to squirt some cleaning solution down in the top of the capping station? (I'm a rookie here when it comes to problems, I really know nothing about working on the machine.) thanks

FatCat

If around your head and capping station (the rubber gasket) are clean then you're good there. Next, remove your side cover so you can see everything in there. (I pretty much keep mine off all the time because it's a PITA to work in there.) Once you have your cover off, run a cleaning cycle and watch your drain lines. If you see ink moving easily through both lines, then you should be good. I would squirt about 1/2 oz of cleaning solution down your cap (rubber gasket with spongy material that your head parks on) to make sure your lines are clear. This is a good thing to do every week and will prevent buildup in your lines. One problem with the 1204 is that the drain lines are so small/tight that they can get clogged up very easily if you're not printing every day and keeping them flushed.

*BTW - it's hard to tell from your pic, but are the cyan lines getting air too? If so, I would bet money the left side drain line that handles the black/blue is clogged -OR- you're not getting a good seal on that side. The black/cyan side tends to clog more often I think because the black/cyan ink is denser than the yellow/magenta.

Check on that and report back on your findings.

BSL Graphix

I took my black in cartridge out and shook it a little, and seems like ink is in it. I just did 3 "strong" cleanings, and each time it seamed to have gotten better, I don't see any air in the lines and my nozzle check is back to about normal. I'm going to try to do a print again and see how it comes out! I'm crossing my fingers!

BSL Graphix

FATCAT, I will use your tip and try the cleaning solution in the cap station. Also, I took drain tray out and looking into the machine i did notice a 1 or 2 mostly try, gummy ink hanging in the "downspout" that goes into the drain tray.

heyskull

I have seen similair issues and it could also be the pump or pump lines blocked.
Can you see the ink flowing in both the drain pipes?
I have seen the pump lines so blocked it needed dismantled and cleaned.
The ink blocks in the lines and comes out like pencil lead.
I put a little cleaning fluid in the capping station once a week to keep it clear.

SC

BSL Graphix

thanks again for the replies! As of now, I just did 3 "strong" cleanings and is seemed to take care of it. But for further maintenance, I will put a little cleaning solution in the capping station. I have never done that before, so I'm sure it will help! thanks again!