• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1204 screeching noise when rolling media fast

os101king

Ok, this started years ago on and off. It was sporadic but now as of today it's constant. When the material runs on the higher speed, something inside SCREAMS, sounds like metal on metal screeching. At printing speeds there are no noises. What should I check for first? Any suggestions, ideas or folks that have experienced this? I purchased it in 2006.... so it's got a few miles and all but I'm way too broke to buy a new printer.

HELP!!

Opened it up and ran with the cover up, very little noise when backing the material in, constant squeal when running it out. The noise seems to be coming from both ends, I don't have a stethoscope to check the bearings... but that seems like the most likely point of noise.

FatCat

If it happens in both directions (forward/reverse) I would most likely suspect the bearings, but I have no experience in how to remedy that.
Unless some piece of something has gotten wedged along the roller somewhere and is riding/grinding along as it moves...?

os101king

If it happens in both directions (forward/reverse) I would most likely suspect the bearings, but I have no experience in how to remedy that.
Unless some piece of something has gotten wedged along the roller somewhere and is riding/grinding along as it moves...?

Very faint in one direction, but it's definitely there. I'm leaning towards downloading a service manual and trying this myself. Needs to be done, no money to do it and if I go down even LESS money as you all well know. Anyone have experience replacing bearings in a VJ1204?

How about suggestions for lubrication to extend the life a bit? I haven't seen anything anywhere in maintenance about lubricating those bearings. The race for the print head is clean and lubed, I do that monthly.

Last edited: