• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh VJ1604 blue ink nozzle issue

archsigns

Hi everyone,
Wondering if I can get a second opinion on what could be the underlying problem with my Mutoh VJ1604 before I consider replacing the printhead or the printer altogether. Tech has quoted $6,500AUD to replace the printhead.

Something wrong with the Blue in nozzle it prints with a smudge of blue.
Seems to only happen with dark blue colours. Pictures attached.
Nozzle check appears to be missing the 3rd vertical line, right next to the black line.
I have done short, long and little charge clean with no luck.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Image_20200415132606.jpg
    Image_20200415132606.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Image_20200415132555.jpg
    Image_20200415132555.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

FatCat

First question; How old is that print head?

If older than 3-4 years, most likely time for a new printhead...also when was the last time you changed your dampers?

IMHO - If it costs $6500 to replace just the printhead, i would instead get a new printer, with all new parts, bearings, etc.

archsigns

First question; How old is that print head?

If older than 3-4 years, most likely time for a new printhead...also when was the last time you changed your dampers?

IMHO - If it costs $6500 to replace just the printhead, i would instead get a new printer, with all new parts, bearings, etc.

The printhead and dampers have never been changed since I got the printer. Previous owner worked from home and I also don't run it much, only couple times a week.
I've got a mutoh tech coming out to check it out in a couple of days. But it sounds like he wants to test the printing on various settings to improve the print quality rather than repairing any parts.