• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question MY NEXT PRINTER PROJECT...

netsol

Premium Subscriber
the thread with 1608hs got me thinking (always a dangerous thing)

i want to start another project machine

we have several dx5 aqueous ink heads & a chinese knockoff of a printhead doctor machine

if someone will help me decide what printer or printer/cutter i want to buy i just need to purchase solvent resistant dx5 manifolds from sign in china & get started

SO THE QUESTION IS:

what machine, ROLAND, OR MUTOH uses DX5 heads? in a perfect world, i would prefer a 64" using 2 dx5's that can print white

it is possible that machine doesn't exist, so we can settle for smaller than 64" & the ability to print white is not a deal breaker

first does anyone have an appropriate machine for sale? this would keep me from prowling ebay, craigslist, offerup/letgo & facebook marketplace

in the end, i suppose i would settle for a machine that uses 1 dx5 head (i would be thrilled if someone found a printhead CROSSREFERENCE either printed or a database)

dreko

Roland FJ series I think used the DX5 heads..
just curious what were your previous projects? Modifying aqueous printers into solvent printer? or something more exotic?

best

netsol

Premium Subscriber
since 2016 i have purchased about 50 "projects" not worth fixing machines are a favorite...
many aqueous to eco solvent, gerber edges, gerber plotters, Oce printers
converting an OLD polaroid copy stand to having a 12MP digital camera, tilting the mast 30 degrees so we can do larger substates. adding network connectivity, and a 22 inch monitor to automate the whole process of sending to our system

bought an odd brand 48 x 96 cnc & adding a laser & monitor so it can be "homed" very quickly when we send from flexisign to use this combo to contour cut after print and stick

adding entry and exit guides to our daige quickmounts (38" & 54") so they can actually be used to mount on substrate with one person (i don't know how anyone works without this)

took old fj52, convert to eco solvent add entry/exit conveyors so we can print direct to styrene (kind of like a poor man's flat bed )

networked every piece of equipment in the shop

many of these were minor modifications, but i find it hard to believe some of these things (THE DAIGES FOR EXAMPLE) were brought to market without these mods

MY CURRENT INTEREST is adding another eco solvent printer, making use of several dx5 printheads with a machine i should be able to purchase fairly cheaply

a pair of dx5's should give me the ability to print white... & a machine that needs between $3500 & $5000 in printheads should go cheaply

gnubler

busy hands can be the devil's workshop, as well, if you are willing to put enough effort into it
Like this?
7-4.jpg

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have an Epson 70675 for sale at a great price right now. Trying to make room in the shop. PM me if you're interested, we are located near Cincinnati, OH.

dreko

I'm still waiting for the 'printer project' where someone has made a opensource DIY printer... or built a printer allowing for modifications. I'm currently looking at inkvalve technology, so I can run a really viscous ink thru the printhead. Xaar printhead.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
we had the discussion 2 years ago, shouldn't we be able to "jailbreak" our printers?
i find the whole idea of locking me out of my printer offensive. anything i do is AT MY RISK & the manufacturer loses the right to limit my activities when they deposit the check