• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My special offer for September 30 through October 6, 2020.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
As a merchant member, the owner of this forum allows me to promote my special offer once a week.

Back in July of this year, when I decided to begin posting threads, I found that there is a category in this forum called “Business Management.”

I know that I do care about helping people get better at what they do. That includes every member here on Signs101. I was warned by several long-time members that I was in for some rough going. Yes, I am an eager student in the university of hard knocks. I have lots to learn. Trial and error. Lots of big boulders on the road. So, let’s get down to bedrock.

Here is the core of what I am all about: Each of us has to manage our own time, our own to do lists, our own relationships, and our own business success. My job is to encourage you to get better.

Here in this offer, I will emphasize my favorite encouragement topic.

A couple of days ago, I was reminded of a simple illustration. “We come built with two ears and one mouth.” Maybe that design is trying to tell us something. Everyday, multiple times in a day, you engage in listening. My favorite activity is to encourage you to improve your listening skills. The payoff has always been satisfying. Everyone who has ever worked with me to improve their listening skills has also improved their success.

It doesn't matter where you are on the listening skills spectrum, you can keep moving forward to get better. Even if it is only a quarter of an inch, you will enjoy the immediate result. I am here to team up with you to take those awesomely simple steps towards dynamic listening.

The root problem is that we often take our listening for granted. We do it on autopilot. We instinctively use selective listening. One of the early benefits of teaming up with me is that I am a gentle reminder to use your listening skills proactively. You will begin to watch yourself to see how you really do listen. Indeed, old habits can be very difficult to change. Nonetheless, once you begin to see your success improve, it makes it easier for you to continue learning better listening skills.

Here is how it works: We will have a short one-to-one conversation each week. After reflecting on your recent listening episodes/events, between the two of us, we will come up with a new assignment for the next week. Rinse and repeat.
Interested? Let’s talk. Let’s become a team, determined to improve your success. Click on my banner ad and book a time with me.
Robert Armerding

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm......... Let's see.

In listening, isn't it necessary to take in what is being said and interpret into some sorta process, thus making it somewhat required to listen closely ?? Otherwise, you'll be misunderstood or misunderstand what's being said, by others. Therefore, if you can make sense of what someone else is saying, you may be more productive in many areas. However, there's a myriad of ways of listening, if ya ask me. Does one use the same listening skills if someone is pouring out their family misfortunes, vs. someone listening to something being said about their achievements ?? How about if someone is talking about a very pivotal part of their life ?? What about if you're listening to someone telling you about every aspect of their business ?? Do you use the same skills for all of them ?? Listening on-line here, seems kinda senseless, cause so much time and space will come in between the dialog, in that..... how can one tell someone is actually listening and just not paying lip service, in reverse ??

Two ears and a mouth.......... Ya gotta know when to open them and shut them in order to be a good listener. If you're just listening, waiting for a gap so you can speak, that's not listening.

I think a more productive approach might be... how to listen and retain/comprehend what's being said, without giving a test afterwards.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A large part of being an effective speaker is being concise. You lose people with too many words. If you have something real complex to explain, draw a picture.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Hmmmm......... Let's see.

In listening, isn't it necessary to take in what is being said and interpret into some sorta process, thus making it somewhat required to listen closely ?? Otherwise, you'll be misunderstood or misunderstand what's being said, by others. Therefore, if you can make sense of what someone else is saying, you may be more productive in many areas. However, there's a myriad of ways of listening, if ya ask me. Does one use the same listening skills if someone is pouring out their family misfortunes, vs. someone listening to something being said about their achievements ?? How about if someone is talking about a very pivotal part of their life ?? What about if you're listening to someone telling you about every aspect of their business ?? Do you use the same skills for all of them ?? Listening on-line here, seems kinda senseless, cause so much time and space will come in between the dialog, in that..... how can one tell someone is actually listening and just not paying lip service, in reverse ??

Two ears and a mouth.......... Ya gotta know when to open them and shut them in order to be a good listener. If you're just listening, waiting for a gap so you can speak, that's not listening.

I think a more productive approach might be... how to listen and retain/comprehend what's being said, without giving a test afterwards.
Gino Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your variety of ideas.
We are in the a business that uses tools. If we apply that to listening, then my goal is to have a full tool box and being highly skilled in using each of them at will.
In my experience, in having conversations about recent listening events, I will often start by asking what went well, in other words = strengths. Then I will ask what did not go so well.
Thanks again for your input.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
A large part of being an effective speaker is being concise. You lose people with too many words. If you have something real complex to explain, draw a picture.
Notarealsignguy You make an astute observation. I am learning and practicing how to capture readers attention so that they want to read the whole thing. I know I have a lot to learn, but I am working on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahh.... isn't it a little late to be learning that kinda stuff, when you're already writing essays about it ??

Gino Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your variety of ideas.
We are in the a business that uses tools. If we apply that to listening, then my goal is to have a full tool box and being highly skilled in using each of them at will.
In my experience, in having conversations about recent listening events, I will often start by asking what went well, in other words = strengths. Then I will ask what did not go so well.
Thanks again for your input.

Okay, so evidently you read what I said, but you didn't grasp what I said. Is that a listening problem or a comprehension problem ?? By reading your answer here..... you seem to be listening to yourself and your own ideas and how they should fix the problem(s). If you wanna listen, listen with an open heart. Don't be thinking of your next question, how to fix it. Digest what you've just read and think about it. Give the other person the respect of their thoughts and don't answer with something silly. For the moment.... truly listen.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Ahh.... isn't it a little late to be learning that kinda stuff, when you're already writing essays about it ??

Okay, so evidently you read what I said, but you didn't grasp what I said. Is that a listening problem or a comprehension problem ?? By reading your answer here..... you seem to be listening to yourself and your own ideas and how they should fix the problem(s). If you wanna listen, listen with an open heart. Don't be thinking of your next question, how to fix it. Digest what you've just read and think about it. Give the other person the respect of their thoughts and don't answer with something silly. For the moment.... truly listen.
Gino Again, thank you for your feedback. It seems that you feel I have not heard you. Right?

Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy You make an astute observation. I am learning and practicing how to capture readers attention so that they want to read the whole thing. I know I have a lot to learn, but I am working on it.
In sales you learn there are 4 distinct personalities and each one of them respond differently. If you misread them or pitch to them in a way that does not meet their style, then you do nothing but waste your time and theirs. The likelihood of ever getting a second meeting is also slim when you fail to connect on their level. You can do things 2 ways, read them and adapt or just deal with people that are similar to you. Anyways, that is how you capture attention. People gravitate to people they feel are similar to them.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
In sales you learn there are 4 distinct personalities and each one of them respond differently. If you misread them or pitch to them in a way that does not meet their style, then you do nothing but waste your time and theirs. The likelihood of ever getting a second meeting is also slim when you fail to connect on their level. You can do things 2 ways, read them and adapt or just deal with people that are similar to you. Anyways, that is how you capture attention. People gravitate to people they feel are similar to them.
Notarealsignguy Let me pick up on your phrase, "that is how you capture attention." Please work with me for a moment. You correctly bring up the 4 personalities and you also bring up 2 ways. Now let me bring in my main point: All six require listening skills, right?

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino Again, thank you for your feedback. It seems that you feel I have not heard you. Right?

Well, in your words, maybe feel, but in my words....... No, it went right over your head. I kinda thought I explained that to you, but again with your answer..... you missed the mark..... again. You just went on with your narrative and missed my point. Now, it's not important that you get my point or even understand it, but you singled me out and made your statement as such, so I hafta take ya at your typing ability and say..... wha..... ??

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Well, in your words, maybe feel, but in my words....... No, it went right over your head. I kinda thought I explained that to you, but again with your answer..... you missed the mark..... again. You just went on with your narrative and missed my point. Now, it's not important that you get my point or even understand it, but you singled me out and made your statement as such, so I hafta take ya at your typing ability and say..... wha..... ??
Gino Yes, I have missed your point. Out of all that you have said to me here in this thread, please pick just one of them and then if you would, kindly help me to get where you do indeed sense that I fully understand that one important item. If you would rather not, no problem.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Robert, it seems that you are peddling counseling on business management, but you sound more like your looking for help. Which is it? Are you looking for a mentor or a protégé?

Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Let me pick up on your phrase, "that is how you capture attention." Please work with me for a moment. You correctly bring up the 4 personalities and you also bring up 2 ways. Now let me bring in my main point: All six require listening skills, right?
It requires much more than just listening. If that is all it took, you wouldn't have so many ineffective annoying sales reps running all over the place

Johnny Best

allears3.jpg

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, it seems that you are peddling counseling on business management, but you sound more like your looking for help. Which is it? Are you looking for a mentor or a protégé?
Boudica Thank you for your reply. So few reply so I want you to know how much I appreciate it.
Yes, I am a merchant member. And, yes, I am peddling my service.
And, you could say I am looking for help.
You ask, "Which is it?"
I prefer the approach of being an encourager. And that is exactly what my current clients think of me. I am looking for more clients who will allow me to encourage them to improve their success. Since I only have a few clients, yes, I am looking for help to get more. Signs101 just happens to have over 60,000 potential clients. I am learning how to reach out to them.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
It requires much more than just listening. If that is all it took, you wouldn't have so many ineffective annoying sales reps running all over the place
Notarealsignguy I want to express my appreciation for your replies.
Since my main focus is on listening skills, I also want to pick up on another of your phrases.
"It requires much more than just listening."
Let me build on that. As I see it, listening is the foundation skill. Without it, the conversation collapses. With highly developed listening skills, great things can be built. Just as the foundation takes certain skills, so does the rest of the structure. It is all part of a building called "Productive Conversations."
I am open to hearing more from you.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

In all of your posts. I have not seen any qualifications for you trying to promote yourself . Did you have a Diploma that you can post a picture of here ? Are you a qualified Psycho ist ? Have you treated any famous people ? Have you considered posting your Diploma and License to practice ? As always I am just trying to help.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
In all of your posts. I have not seen any qualifications for you trying to promote yourself . Did you have a Diploma that you can post a picture of here ? Are you a qualified Psycho ist ? Have you treated any famous people ? Have you considered posting your Diploma and License to practice ? As always I am just trying to help.
Jeremiah Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am grateful.
I am not sure if I fully understand your question. Let me try to be specific. Apparently you have seen something in my thread that requires certified skills. I am not trying to avoid your concern. I am attempting to make sure I understand your concern. As you see it, what am I offering that requires high level qualifications?