• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My wrap design.. I'm looking for help from the best

Round 2---

attachment.php

hog...PLEASE...hire someone to design this one for you. you say 'they aren't interested' you either haven't looked hard enough because there is a TON of designers looking for any project they can find or you aren't offering enough money.

i don't know what else to say. seriously. in my opinion this one should be scrapped as well and quickly.

why don't we start here.

obviously you are going for a counter culture non conformist/non corporate look. what else are we trying to achieve with this? the only thing 'this' says to me is that it is a HOG vehicle and you shouldnt be designing anything and i don't feel good about being that blunt but if i saw this at a business i was going to entrust the image of my business with i would run the other direction as fast as possible.

obviously you are trying to put your sense of style and fashion into this. does that complement that of your clients and the type of clients that you wish to attract? if you have any desire to go after a more corporate clientele this is not going to help you.

this 'should' be an advertising showpiece for you of your talents and abilities and you are either screwing with us like last time haha ha i guess...or you really do not have an eye for this yet and if that is the case please excercise some caution as this is how people are going to view your business, your capabiliities and your design skills.

why dont you do this for a starting point why dont you start hunting for wrap designs or other items (merchandise, print,etc) that graphically are how you would like others to view your business...i think that would be a great excercise for you and then think about how that portraits your business to your community and more importantly to the type of clients you would ultimately like to attract.

hog...PLEASE...hire someone to design this one for you. you say 'they aren't interested' you either haven't looked hard enough because there is a TON of designers looking for any project they can find or you aren't offering enough money.

i don't know what else to say. seriously. in my opinion this one should be scrapped as well and quickly.

Can't please everyone and thanks for your help!

GB2

Old Member
Now you know what...I think you all are being a little harsh...I agree that this is one of those toooo busy designs that "we all who know better" don't like, however, considering the vehicle that it is on, the connection with an auto repair shop and the simple message he is trying to convey, which is his logo, secondary copy and phone number...I do not think it is as bad as the reviews it has gotten so far. He has busied it up with that background but at least he isn't trying to put everything in the world on there. I don't see the connection with camo because I don't see any camo in there and I think the big problem is the lack of legibility. Also that Signs, Decals, Banners & More line needs to be lower and could use some work. This design would probably get the attention he is looking for whether we approve or not.

ProWraps

make your font more legible and its not THAT bad. it fits the car style and hey if you like it, and you know your customer base, and it works. run with it.

why don't we start here.

obviously you are going for a counter culture non conformist/non corporate look. what else are we trying to achieve with this? the only thing 'this' says to me is that it is a HOG vehicle and you shouldnt be designing anything and i don't feel good about being that blunt but if i saw this at a business i was going to entrust the image of my business with i would run the other direction as fast as possible.

obviously you are trying to put your sense of style and fashion into this. does that complement that of your clients and the type of clients that you wish to attract? if you have any desire to go after a more corporate clientele this is not going to help you.

this 'should' be an advertising showpiece for you of your talents and abilities and you are either screwing with us like last time haha ha i guess...or you really do not have an eye for this yet and if that is the case please excercise some caution as this is how people are going to view your business, your capabiliities and your design skills.

why dont you do this for a starting point why dont you start hunting for wrap designs or other items (merchandise, print,etc) that graphically are how you would like others to view your business...i think that would be a great excercise for you and then think about how that portraits your business to your community and more importantly to the type of clients you would ultimately like to attract.

Thank you for adding the rest. I understand where you are coming from.
But also understand this there is 1-2 other wrapped cars in this town. Not a huge market for it in this area because it is very poor.

I would like something that stands out.. Gets the eye! 1000 of cars past by this shop a day and I want this thing to pop out.
I do know the text is not very readable and I can fix that..

But Dan it sounds like you are a hard to please kinda guy.. I was just looking back on prowraps thread about his shop truck.. Which i liked
and you had this to say

well it's ...
well it's ...
well it's ...wrapped. for better or worse...

good job on the installation

What does make you happy?

attachment.php

I thought it was badass

Now you know what...I think you all are being a little harsh...I agree that this is one of those toooo busy designs that "we all who know better" don't like, however, considering the vehicle that it is on, the connection with an auto repair shop and the simple message he is trying to convey, which is his logo, secondary copy and phone number...I do not think it is as bad as the reviews it has gotten so far. He has busied it up with that background but at least he isn't trying to put everything in the world on there. I don't see the connection with camo because I don't see any camo in there and I think the big problem is the lack of legibility. Also that Signs, Decals, Banners & More line needs to be lower and could use some work. This design would probably get the attention he is looking for whether we approve or not.

The other camo on was my 1st try and you can see how it went over.
I think you are right. I'm not going for a design of a year award, I'm going for a attention getting car.

gnatt66

i'm a total newb, but i'll toss my thoughts out there. it's gotta balance out the bitchy vibe that i feel on here today..heh. i've been changing my 2yr old's liquified ass-ammo all day and i think i've smiled more today than some of the regs...geesh.

way better than the first, for sure. and i agree with prowraps. the background fits your goal well enough, try and make the type less grungy and more streetside legible and it will be a great first wrap, imo.

Dan Antonelli

Lets not forget the two most important words in vehicle wraps; forgotten by most, and beloved by so few:

Distance Legibility

I thought it was badass

seriously that explains a lot. myself that is not how i would represent my business nor would it attract any of the clientele i am after nor would it showcase my design skills nor my design style.

is there a market for it. sure, but in my opinion for the industry we are all in i think you are really limiting yourself to a very small demographic compared to the rest of the market.

if that is the market you are after work in that direction. that is why i asked the questions that i asked and am encouraging you to go through that process as well. this is not a judgement but an observation my guess is that you are relatively young, i see this repeatedly with very young entrepeneurial spirits where they inject their personal style and fashion into everything without thinking of the bigger picture...how the community will view that business, how their potential clients will view them, etc etc...some dont care and that is fine as long as you have gone through the thought process.

and as the big Dan has pointed out you are (as well as the other 'designs') they are lacking as far as legibility goes ... magnify that by it being a moving vehicle or moving vehicles viewing yours while parked and you've lost all advertising value. you have a very short window of time to capture your viewing audiences attention some studies site that period of time as less than 4 seconds, if ppl can not EASILY read that message they simply tune out.

and yes i am difficult to please. i believe in developing a concept and making sure it accomplishes it's goal. versus just willy nilly throwing things out without any rhyme or reason as to why we are doing something. if your goal is simply to look 'cool' or 'badass' in a particular fashion style then go after that and achieve it.

treat youself like a client and ask the questions that need to be asked for this project.

just a sidenote i am a firm believer that ALL of your marketing materials letterhead, business cards, uniforms, location signage, website, even car wraps should all be complimentary...part of an overall package that presents a unified image. make certain that you go through the thought process before you simply pick that image that you are going to portrait to the public and your potential clients simply based on your own fashion choices...that is extremely short sighted.

rjpjr

My 2 cents…

Why are you wrapping your vehicle? I could imagine that at least part of your answer could be something like this... "I would like for my ride to communicate a message to potential customers in a cool and flashy way". The problem is that your choice of fonts is completely illegible taking away any chance of good commication. With you marketing yourself as a Professional in the sign/graphics industry, I believe that it is imperative that the message you are trying to communicate be completely legible. Remember, you are advertising that you are a sign professional. I suspect that most people viewing this layout would have the same impression…”I don’t think I would want HOG to handle my outdoor advertising because I can't easily read their layouts”. Go crazy with your background if you wish according to your personal tastes, but make sure your message is clear and does not get lost in the noise of the background. Your reputation is at stake.

The second thought is that the HOG logo is too close to the highlighted or light colored region on the front fender and door. The immediate area surrounding your logo should be of a much higher contrast. If you want to keep your logo where it is than I would alter the background and remove or relocate the highlighted graphics.

My final though is that if you want it to be truly NOTICED go with bright colors. Think of a good hot summer day at a car show … many if not most of those old Hot Rods are Brightly colored…reds, yellows, oranges and hot pinks. Even the dark ones usually throw a splash of Bright somewhere on the car for contrast. They are painted like that so that they will be noticed.

Let’s see round 3.

ZsVinylInc

Here is my only question if you are not wanting to do VEHICLE WRAPS then why are you putting one on your car? You are only going to get people calling you asking you if you do them and then when you say no you are going to be not only turning away their wrap business but any other business that they might have wanted to give you as well because they will be mad that you use that type of product to advertise. Most people will relate vehicle wraps with your company even though you don't actually say on your car you do VEHICLE WRAPS just because you have one.

If you only do small jobs and most of your business is less then $500 then why spend a ton of money on wrap material? I would just do up some nice full color graphics and be done.

We don't offer vehicle wraps at our shop currently....we have the equipment to handle it but are not fully trained...That is why when we recently put new graphics on our trucks we only did some really nice full color graphics on the doors, hood, and tail gate. This way we don't have to explain to customers that we only did that one for ourselves and we can't help them do theirs. We still get a ton of business and people are always saying to us yeah I saw your truck with the nice graphics in town the other day...blah blah blah.

My 2 cents save your money and some business and just put some simple but nice graphics on it.....use the KISS method.

k.a.s.

I think lots of people offer opinions and very little advice. So heres mine, I think the backround is a little busy, try more solid colors with maybe a subtle texture of some sort. If you like Black and green (I do to) start with a nice green at the front and fade to black. I would also put your logo right if front of the back wheel and put onto the window on the drivers side, this way you can make the logo much bigger. Then maybe on the door do a list of services. Just my 2 cents.

Kevin

GB2

Old Member
Just as a point of reference, his design doesn't look a whole lot different than the Lowen ad on this website...and they propose to be the world leader in wraps. The only difference is that theirs is blue and black and their text is more legible.

signmeup

I think lots of people offer opinions and very little advice.

Kevin
Yeah....that sounds about right. I think if you did a thin contour of non grunged lettering and placed it over the grunged lettering forming an outline the ledgability would be fine. Looks like most any other wrap to me, you just got a little excited with the grunge effect.

steve b

I would just cover that mess up with a banner and some text! or just some simple vinyl decals

steveb

B Snyder

Here's how I imagine this would go down on American Idol...

Simon Cowell - Its rubbish. Utterly terrible.
Paula Abdul - Yeah well, but I, and you know, so it's, hmmm, ok? I'm sorry.
Randy Jackson - Yo dog. Sorry man, it's just not workin for me.