• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MyFonts, Whats up??

Dave Drane

I purchased a font from MyFonts yesterday and it has been quite a while since I have. The site is now a pain to navigate through, but thr "real" TTY fonts seem to not be available any more?? I ended up with an open face (Open Face TTY??0 which is impossible to use on any vector program. I emailed and was told that what I purchased was the only format available.
It looks like I am down $29 and now have a font that is hopeless, and will have to spend days cleaning up a scan!! :frustrated:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The term is OpenType and it will install and be recognized by most later versions of Windows and SignLab. Have you tried installing it?

The benefits of OpenType are cross platform compability and internal space for many more special characters. Other than that it still has all the functionality of the standard TrueType predecessors.

GK

I purchased a font from MyFonts yesterday and it has been quite a while since I have. The site is now a pain to navigate through, but thr "real" TTY fonts seem to not be available any more?? I ended up with an open face (Open Face TTY??0 which is impossible to use on any vector program. I emailed and was told that what I purchased was the only format available.
It looks like I am down $29 and now have a font that is hopeless, and will have to spend days cleaning up a scan!! :frustrated:

Dave, what is a TTY? What font did you download that you are having this problem? Did you mean OpenType?

Dave Drane

The term is OpenType and it will install and be recognized by most later versions of Windows and SignLab. Have you tried installing it?

The benefits of OpenType are cross platform compability and internal space for many more special characters. Other than that it still has all the functionality of the standard TrueType predecessors.

Fred, I have XP and it automatically installs into the Control Panel fonts folder, but SignLab 5 won't recognize it. Corel does but when i type and enlarge it, it looks like a raster file, on a white background, because it goes over the sign border

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Don't know why it's doing that. The vectors should be as clean or cleaner than a TrueType of the same font.

Have you tried entering the text in Corel, converting to curves and then bringing it into SignLab as an EPS?

Dave Drane

Thanks Fred, but the text sits there with the nodes, but the convert to curves is just not active. Also the text won't show in the normal font file unless I open it and leave it sit in the tray. Who knows, when I turn on tommorow it may just work. we all know how contrary computers can be. It is just weird, I even tried opening it in Illustrator, and it did the same thing when I saved it (turned into a raster???)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'd like to look at it if you want to send me the zipped version of the font. If it's just a short amount of text, I don't mind typesetting it for you either. What version of CorelDRAW are you using?

Dave Drane

Fred, when you order a font from "MyFonts" it downloads the font directly into windows from the site. If you like I could get the OTF font out and send that to you to have a look at.