• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mystery PMS Color

juan45215

I'm trying to replace a sign for a customer. His records show that the original color was PMS 1802. It's not in my color chart. I called my supplier and they don't have. They called the paint manufactuer and they don't have it.

How can this be?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds to me like it's PMS 180-2 which, according to Adobe Illustrator, has the following CMYK values:

C = 74.51
M = 79.22
Y = 0
K = 0

Attachments

• pms180-2.jpg
    pms180-2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 90

Gene@mpls

Fred- I ran 180-2c in the pantone search from bayshorecreations and I get
cannot find number entered with this:

# PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM ®: Numbered colors consist of three or four digits followed by a substrate extension of either a C, an M or a U. The substrate letter must be entered.

Examples: 185 C; 2583 M; 4725 U

I also had a hyphenated pms color a while ago and could not find it. Does
AI have their own PMS system or something? Gene

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred- I ran 180-2c in the pantone search from bayshorecreations and I get
cannot find number entered with this:

# PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM ®: Numbered colors consist of three or four digits followed by a substrate extension of either a C, an M or a U. The substrate letter must be entered.

Examples: 185 C; 2583 M; 4725 U

I also had a hyphenated pms color a while ago and could not find it. Does
AI have their own PMS system or something? Gene

Adobe Illustrator has 10 different Pantone swatch tables. 180-2 ... more accurately Pantone DS 180-2 C, appears on the Pantone Process Coated table as well as the Pantone process Uncoated table as Pantone 180-2 U. You're likely looking at the Pantone Solid Coated or Uncoated tables on which the 180 series is an orange color and there is no 180-2 at all. There is 180 C and then it goes to 1805 C.

I have no explanation as to why the Solid table is completely non-synchronized with the Process table but I do find it cheaper and more efficient to use AI to lookup PMS colors than with several different Pantone books.