• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Name that font :)

Jen Goodwin

Can anyone tell me what this body copy font is and where to get it? Thanks. Customer says it's Dutchess!?! I can't find it.

Attachments

• type.png
    type.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 206

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Tell your customer he should stop specifying clones he snags on the internet. The name of the font is Bellevue and it used to be distributed by Adobe and gained considerable popularity. Then H. Berthold, the owner of Bellevue, went bankrupt (repeat after me: clone=pirated, pirated=clone, clone=stolen, stolen=financial loss, financial loss=bankrupt) and the new owners who bought it up cancelled all their contracts with Adobe and others.

Today, H. Berthold operates their own website where they market their fonts. You can find Bellevue at H. Berthold.

Attachments

• bellevue.jpg
    bellevue.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 122

Jen Goodwin

Thanks Fred! That's exactly why I couldn't find it! (clone=pirated=lots of wasted time looking for fonts=higher bill) :Big Laugh
Pretty font though, I'm going to buy that one.

Dave Drane

$99 for a single font, Jen?. It looks good in the website, but when it makes words I find it fairly ordinary, but then again my likeness for fonts tends to lean towards more meatier stuff. Isn't it a good thing we all see things different? :Coffee:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Jen Berthold doesn't sell single fonts. For the $99 you are getting three fonts .... all frilly-dilly foo-foo though.

Last edited:

Driving Force

I have it on my system, and I'm sure I didnt download it from somewhere. I was thinking it came on the system as a windows font. its in true type. Its name is duchess and is identical. I would send it to you if its not against the rules.

Darren

Jen Goodwin

Now if I downloaded that font...would I not be adding to the (repeat after me: clone=pirated, pirated=clone, clone=stolen, stolen=financial loss, financial loss=bankrupt)? What made you post a link, Fred?
I think all the frilly-dilly foo foo fonts in that package for $99 are nice, but then again I am just a girrrl!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I posted the link because I found it. I guess I can be just as bi-polar as the next guy. I hate that it is there but I also recognize the reality that it is. And I make a distinction between pointing you to it and supplying it to you ... which is what was about to happen to this thread.

Jen Goodwin

Well, Thanks, but I didn't need it afterall. She supplied a nice file that I can print easily, after some coaching. :wink:

jimdes

Actually Fred, I was going to do the same thing: Point to a location where it is located on the internet. Fact of the matter is, if you know the file name of a font, you can find it just about every time, that's the problem with conventional font naming.

If I were a font foundry, I think I would give the font a name and give the file a numeric name. It wouldn't stop the madness, but it sure would make things very frustrating for Pirateers.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I guess I don't see what that would do.

Bitstream has always used that approach.

Bitstream was the first major foundry to be cloned. It was a product named Typecase and was 120 renamed Bitstream fonts, sold 7 million copies in 1993 at $59 a pop and was named PC Magazine Product of the Year.

Bitstream was persuaded by Adobe and Agfa not to sue (for fear of losing) and reached a settlement with Swfte (the cloner) wherein Swfte, while admitting no wrongdoing and paying no compensation, agreed to move at least one node on each vector if they ever repeated what they had done.

Swfte went on to become known as Expert Software and released Typecase II and Typecase III before moving on. Bitstream went in and out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the next couple of years.

jimdes

The point would be that it is much easier to find a font you are looking for if it has the same filename as it's font name. A numeric name would force the person seeking the font to find the filename before they can search for it. Without the accompanying documentation, it would be difficult to find the correct file name.