• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a non-ADA compliant braille sign

tulsagraphics

Weird subject line, I know.

I've got a customer (apartment complex) that needs a replacement unit sign similar to this one -- see attached --
(2-color orange/gray on black, 6" x 8" w/ pictos + "braille", qty 1)

I'm not sure how the original signs passed inspection because the supplier gave them (what appears to be) 3D UV pictograms, including flat UV braille (no radius, no spheres) -- but I'm not worried about it because I'm only giving them a single sign (not replacing any others).

And while I do have the engraving equipment to make a proper ADA sign in-house -- it's not worth buying 2 colors of applique and setting up the engraver for such a small job. So I'm looking for a supplier that can make this for me -- presumably with a 3D UV LED printer. (quick and cost-effective)

Suggestions?

Attachments

• chrome_m6ooHdiR5z.png
    chrome_m6ooHdiR5z.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 324
  • aTRJaYgO3K.jpg
    aTRJaYgO3K.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 116
  • chrome_hQdodpRqC1.png
    chrome_hQdodpRqC1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 119

CanuckSigns

If you have the equipment to make it in house, I've had good luck with krylon fusion and painting rowmark ADA applique when a special colour is needed in small quantities.

No one is going to make you a single sign for less than you can make it yourself.

netsol

If you have the equipment to make it in house, I've had good luck with krylon fusion and painting rowmark ADA applique when a special colour is needed in small quantities.

No one is going to make you a single sign for less than you can make it yourself.
You can go home homedepot and color match a 6 oz container of paint for $2.99 if krylon doesn't have your color

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Weird subject line, I know.

I've got a customer (apartment complex) that needs a replacement unit sign similar to this one -- see attached --
(2-color orange/gray on black, 6" x 8" w/ pictos + "braille", qty 1)

I'm not sure how the original signs passed inspection because the supplier gave them (what appears to be) 3D UV pictograms, including flat UV braille (no radius, no spheres) -- but I'm not worried about it because I'm only giving them a single sign (not replacing any others).

And while I do have the engraving equipment to make a proper ADA sign in-house -- it's not worth buying 2 colors of applique and setting up the engraver for such a small job. So I'm looking for a supplier that can make this for me -- presumably with a 3D UV LED printer. (quick and cost-effective)

Suggestions?
You have the equipment - make the sign and charge the appropriate minimum to cover your special order materials and time for setup, etc. You are wasting your time trying to save your customer a few bucks, and possibly tainting your reputation with some cheapo process. One-off custom signs like this are just not going to be cheap.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I can't remember the exact process but that is probably an etched zinc sign that's painted then the high spots are screened.

tulsagraphics

You have the equipment - make the sign and charge the appropriate minimum to cover your special order materials and time for setup, etc. You are wasting your time trying to save your customer a few bucks, and possibly tainting your reputation with some cheapo process. One-off custom signs like this are just not going to be cheap.
Yeah, I was just thinking of one of those printers you sometimes find at the trade shows... like this: https://www.artisjet.com/index.php/en/community/applications/79-custom-braille-signs-print

Think I'll give the painted applique a shot this time around! :)

tulsagraphics

Good idea -- I'll give a try! I can probably just engrave the applique with the masking film on (or add an extra layer of clear or paper transfer tape if needed, prior to engraving), then weed only the areas that need painted... and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion!