• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Advice: IJ35C + Lam Decals Peeling from Painted Drywall

SignsOfPlano

We installed decals on a painted drywall a couple of weeks ago. I used IJ35C vinyl with calendar laminate. In hindsight, I should have used another vinyl. Anyway, now the decals are peeling off, even though we heat applied. Example attached. Given the square footage, I would really prefer not to reprint the decals from scratch. Any advice on sticking them back on so they will stay? Should I go back and use wallpaper adhesive? Thanks much for your input.

IMG_0240.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It seems very obvious you used the wrong material for the job. Trying to polish a turd isn't going to help you or your client. You'll need to take that off and do it with the correct vinyl and lam designed for a textured wall, inside and what kind of paint was used ?? Not knowing this ahead of time is what cost you this job.

neutrinocv

We installed decals on a painted drywall a couple of weeks ago. I used IJ35C vinyl with calendar laminate. In hindsight, I should have used another vinyl. Anyway, now the decals are peeling off, even though we heat applied. Example attached. Given the square footage, I would really prefer not to reprint the decals from scratch. Any advice on sticking them back on so they will stay? Should I go back and use wallpaper adhesive? Thanks much for your input.

View attachment 157038
We use IJ35 a lot (with 8509 lam). There could be a couple of issues here and as mentionned by Gino and JB, curing and prepping are part of them. First, you need to know when the walls were painted and with what. We let latex paint cure for at least 10 full days (in moderate humidity levels). For oil based paint, it's at least a month. Second, we like to prep the surface; alcool is okay but we like to wipe thoroughly the surface with some lightly diluted (with water) RapidTac. Also; the surface must be quite flat and dull with minimal "orange peel", otherwise it gets troublesome. That's the on-site part of things...

For the in-shop part; you seemed to make sure to leave some white bleed around your print-n-cut, this is good. But keep in mind that ink can and will pull on the vinyl long after it's been deemed cured enough for laminating (normally 24 hours +). We like to wait 2 or 3 days before laminating (in such a job case) and another day or two before cutting and if possible another couple of days before installing. The more time you let the ink and the lam glue do their setting, the better.

Of course, some customer don't want to wait that long (paint and/or ink curing)... We'd rather not take the job in this case. Measure twice (and even thrice) then cut once; or else...

Johnny Best

Push pins, paint has additives that repel dirt and decals. Always do a test before getting to far. 3M has test kits.

Melks

IJ35C with the 8508/8509/8510 is a great combo for flat surfaces. It's a calendared film that does not require heat for application. It is not the right film for this wall.
Judging by the photos, I would approach the wall with 3M SV480 (or LX480 if using a latex printer) with 8548 or 8549 overlaminate. This film would have to be applied with textured surface applicators and heat.