• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice on a crappy situation

mahuebel

So... My sign shop got an order in for 20 real estate signs 18x24 with steel frames. We told her that a job like that typically takes about 3 to 4 business days. She wanted the frames to be able to use rider signs, and she wanted us to pre-drill the holes in the frames to accommodate those riders. In order to do that, I had one of the people I had in her area that day for other reasons go to her home (over 25 miles away from our shop) and get a spare rider sign

As I started the layout process, I was told that there were 3 realtors, the main realtor was getting 10 signs, the others were getting 5 each. At the time I was under the impression that there was going to be one layout with just swapping the names out... no biggie right?

I get just about done with the 18x24 layout, and it turns out that the realtors were mistaken, and that the signs were actually 30" tall x 18" wide. That sucks, but the design was modified easily enough (less than 3 minutes) that I didn't want to ding them with a fee for something so simple.
On the last 18x24 proof I sent this customer, she had everything approved except I had the email wrong. I switched everything over to the 30x18 and fixed the email.

As I'm finishing the first layout, I start getting emails from the other two realtors with what they want on their signs. I email all three realtors immediately back letting them know that there would be additional fees for each layout. They agreed and all was fine.... or so I thought...

The main realtor really needed a couple 18x24 sign faces fast for frames she already had. I get the original design printed out and applied to the sign. She was showing a house that day in the city directly north of mine, so I had a guy run it out to her, because she HAD to have at least one that day. What sucks is that I never fixed the email, so we made a temporary one out of coroplast and a plastic frame and drove it out to her home as a sort of apology for getting those signs wrong. I told her we'd fix the 18x24s, but she didnt have them there at home, so I thought when she picked up the 30x18's, she'd bring me the faces to be redone.

This is where it all goes to hell. The sign frames come in from our fabricator and we pre-drill holes for the riders. We notice that two of the holes she wanted to use would have covered up some of the lettering on the rider we got from her, so we used different holes on the riders along the side of the frame. She was going to show the house in our area again, so I had a guy run the completed signs to her, expecting her to have a check ready.

She told the guy I sent that she didn't have her checkbook on her and that she'd arrange the payment the next day, so he gave her the signs. We get a call the next day, but instead of trying to pay us, she's telling me how disappointed she is with these signs. She didn't like that it took 7 business days to get them, also some of the riders didn't fit and they aren't drilled exactly like she wanted. She was also angry that we haven't given her a new set of 18x24 faces. I emailed her the next day explaining that 30x18 was a custom size for all of our sign frame manufacturers (we actually checked) and that we were at the mercy of the fabricators. The day after we got the frames in, she got the signs, which was 7 business days total. I let her know I was more than willing to drill holes in all of her current rider signs free of charge so that they would line up with the holes we drilled. I also told her that I was more than happy to reface the signs we gave her, as I had already told her. The only thing I asked in return was that she bring them to me, as I was getting busier in production and wouldn't be able to spare a guy to drive 25 miles(again) one way to go get them. I told her that I didn't charge her for delivery, and the times we have picked things up from her or brought things to her were done as a favor for her, not as a service to her. I told her I couldn't send a guy in the near future, because he's not a delivery driver, he's a production worker and he has a lot of work to do.

She has flat out refused to bring them to me, saying that we never told her we charged for delivery, so why should she have to pay? She proceeded to become very condescending, telling me (in her own words): "Have someone come here with a drill and I can personally show them how real estate signs need to be done. I am sorry, I thought you did these and knew what you were doing is why I picked you over the other two companies I was talking to."
She also said: "As far as the signs you messed up, I had to put them at properties because you were taking so long to get me my signs and need them replaced as soon as possible being the wrong e-mail. Again, you are going to make me go out of my way to make it right? I have never had a sign company not deliver to me and especially since you did not say there was going to be a charge it is not an issue. "

Just a few minutes ago I emailed her back, telling her that if the customer doesn't request something to be quoted, such as a rush fees, delivery fees, or field installation fees, I don't quote it. She requested a price for 20 signs (that turns out to actually be 3 different orders with 3 different invoices) but never asked about delivery. I don't know what to do at this point. Am I wrong? What should I do?

At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to send her a bill for the remainder that's due on receipt. If I don't have a check in the mail within 3 days, I will look up her listings and pull my signs.

Any helpful ideas?

Techman

Get all your stuff back. Immediately. I mean right now.

Then tell her you will follow your policy about getting all work approved with a deposit before starting.

There will always be an "after teh fact" part of the deal that makes her costs cheaper and your costs go up.

You can never ever cobble stuff together for them to fix any mistake. They will always find a way to complain. And they will often never pay you no matter what you do. And to add to the pain they will use your stuff anyway. Then walk away at the first sign of her saying anything contrary to YOUR policy.

Real estate agents are the worst. I do all the work for one particular agency in town. They are great. At some point over the last 15 years I've dealt with most of the others and I'd rather :banghead: than deal with most of them again.

Si Allen

You are going to learn that Real Estaters, Hair Salons, Lawyers and Preachers are 100% down!

Any changes to the original order and delivery are at extra cost!

Locals Find!

DON'T DO WORK FOR REALTORS.

You need to be very familar with the industry to succeed. I have a manual from the NAR for their marketing standards. You must always approve and detail everything up front. Also, pre-paid orders only. Otherwise you end up with the mess you are in.

Your going to get screwed on this deal just walk away.

royster13

I am sure glad Canadian Realtors are a better bunch....Typically they represent 35% of my sales and I rarely have a problem with them...

Tint Guru

I'm just a window tinter, but

We are in the same 'service' business. My advice "before" problems start is simply to completely undersand what the customer wants and simply place it in writing. To me it's easier to spend and extra 10-40 minutes talking about what they want, then to have a salesperson place it in a contract with both "terms' and "liabilities"

I will lament your current situation, and respond accordingly, but frankly I think you should always cover your *** with agreed upon terms and letters signed by each party responsible.

OldPaint

#1 get all your signs back, even if you have to drive there and pick them up yourself. use the pretense(she has lied to you, so honesty is no longer in this deal)you need them so you can fix them. once you have all in your POSSESSION......now you got the deposit, and the signs....YOU NOW HAVE THE UPPER HAND HERE. 2ndly, get her to sit down with you with at least 2-3 witnesses, and have put in writing what she requested. this makes it all her fault for any wrong directions. if possible correct what you have to HER SPECIFICATIONS(i dont give schit if size is wrong, as long as YOU DID WHAT WAS ASKED FOR), NOW GET ALL THE MONEY...........before she gets 1 sign!!!!! have her sign off on the invoice and the order she wrote out. this way you are clear......OF ANY MORE OF HER COMPLAINTS. i see your dallas, fort worth area. now let me ask you question and YOU NEED TO ANSWER HONESTLY.............how many sign shops are there between where she is from and YOU? iam guessing in the DFW there is a schit load. now this asks the question: why did she pick you? PRICE? was you the lowballer? how long you been at this? and how many other shops in the area HAS SHE BURNT OFF THIS WAY????? REAL ESTATE PEOPLE are the lowest of lowlifes. a used car dealer is better at paying then REALTORS. these people make a living from using OTHER PEOPLES MONEY. and they do the same for their SIGNS!!!! DO NOT DO work for realtors......UNLESS PAID UP FRONT, cause they wont pay you till that realestate sells and they get their commission............they figure if they gota wait SO CAN YOU!!!!

visual800

as far as her comments to you on other sign companies....first off she used you because you were cheapest. Real Estate people are not loyal.

2nd comment about we have never been treated this way by other sign companies is cause other sign companies wont deal with her ***.

I would go pick up the signs and act as though you will fix them. take them back to shop and do not receive any more calls coming from her. be done with this bi***! if she wants any money back she will come to you on on knees

Farmboy

There is no uniformity for real estate signs. Each company has there own way. Never assume anything with these people. One of my best customers is a commercial realtor, their signs have remained consistent for years. It's been stated here hundreds of times...The customer doesn't run your business, you do. If they really want you to do the work they will follow your lead.

ChicagoGraphics

18x30 signs must be a Remax agent, complain to corperate, see how fast you will get your the remainder of your money.

BTW 18x30 is a stock size

Urq

Find out where the houses are that she is selling and go there and remove the signs.

FishnSigns

Keep your prices at fair market value for real estate signs. As mentioned above, they are always looking for the cheapest price, have high demands and are not loyal (for the most part). We refuse to play the price game with Realtors. We ask a fair price (not dirt cheap like some companies try). When they call in make sure you establish price, terms and production time up front. If they are okay with the above, move forward to proofs, etc... Always get a deposit! If they are okay with your price, terms, etc... they are probably good to work with. If they complain out of the gate about price, let them go down the road, it's not worth the brain damage. We have some great clients who happen to be in real estate, they are the rare ones!

Fatboy

as far as her comments to you on other sign companies....first off she used you because you were cheapest. Real Estate people are not loyal.

2nd comment about we have never been treated this way by other sign companies is cause other sign companies wont deal with her ***.

I would go pick up the signs and act as though you will fix them. take them back to shop and do not receive any more calls coming from her. be done with this bi***! if she wants any money back she will come to you on on knees

I agree 100%

Techman

Wanna know why they try to cheap you on some items? Because they have their own store that is priced below what you can make it for.

picture.php

picture.php