• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice...

cOrKinSA

A friend of mine is selling his Master Vinyl Cutter for 500 dollars since he decided not to continue to do what I do, and to be honest I can't find much info on this product. Have any of you people heard or used this equiptment before?
:thankyou:

gvgraphics

I have heard good and bad about them. You also can purchase one of these on Ebay for about $500 new. So the price may be a little high.

cOrKinSA

What have you heard? Anything would help. Ebay is where he got it from so that is why I think 500 is an alright price.

mladams7259

i own a roland pc60 and a master xy380p (32") I use the master to cut magnet material. I have had it for about 1 1/2 years and have had no problems. Its actually easier to use than the roland. I only paid 450 for mine on ebay. i didnt use the buy it now option i bid on them until i got one for the right price. Many people on this forum dont like them, but im speaking from experience.

cOrKinSA

I just figuered It would be nice to have it going while I print out jobs of multiple size on my Vinyl Express.

signmeup

I hear a lot about cheap plotters being crap on this site but I'm not convinced all the nay sayers have actually owned one. My master plotter (from Desay Canada) works great. I called the company and asked a few questions and they answered them all....live on the phone...no emailing back and forth. You can buy the cutter for 400 bucks new though.

Adrian

cOrKinSA

Now the bid is at seven something and rising. Even if it was a "Buy Now" I still would be saving money after shipping.

Ken

I have a "cheap cutter" -CT630- and a versacamm. I cannot output files to both at the same time. I would need a separate computer to drive each if using simultaneously. What I do, though, is to cut vinyl first, then start the printing , then weed etc with the vinyl while the print is happening.
Been wanting a second computer, probably a laptop, that I can use not only to send files for output but also to take to a prospective client and do layouts on-site to help avoid the multiple revisions sometimes necessary.
Sorry, no info on the Master cutter, but I thought this might help.
Ken

Techman

but I'm not convinced all the nay sayers have actually owned one.
No need to own one.. Just watch all the owners post asking why thier cutter skews, or is missing some feature, or has some strange software reaction, or some driver problem, or has a feature that is not compatible with something else.

cOrKinSA

Techman That is why I am asking everyone. So they can tell me what they think of this plotter. I am not asking what they think of less popular plotter brands in general. I would understand if these plotters were taking jobs from serious Sign businesses, but I am just looking to add to my arsenal of serious equiptment. It doesn't hurt to have more granted that the research can backup the findings. Thanks to all.

Techman

any cat or bird or master name cutter is bult in china,,, and is made cheap, and all have limitations that will haunt the owner later. No need to guess about this. Read the posts on a lot of other boards too. They all at first say how good the machine is,, then later cry about some new found limitation.

if you see so many negative posts about this machine,, then why would you even consider it?

signmeup

Techman said:
any cat or bird or master name cutter is bult in china,,, and is made cheap, and all have limitations that will haunt the owner later. No need to guess about this. Read the posts on a lot of other boards too. They all at first say how good the machine is,, then later cry about some new found limitation.

if you see so many negative posts about this machine,, then why would you even consider it?
I hear "Chinese plotters are bad" a lot but not specific cases from owners of specific brands. I haven't actually seen a post that said "My Master plotter is crap! It won't do (insert problem here)so I threw it away." But then again, I haven't looked either. Maybe you could point out a few of these posts for me?
Anyway, the guy asked for opinions from people who had personally used the Master brand. So I gave my opinion.
As I see it a plotter has a roller that turns back and forth, a carriage that goes left and right and a little knife that lifts up and down. Not really rocket science is it?

Adrian

Si Allen

Adrian...... you are correct, not rocket science....rathere it is durability and precision!

If I am buying equipment for my business, why would I want to get something that will wear out quickly, become inprecise, has limited abilities, and if I need tech help..I want to talk to someone that speaks English, not some foreign dialect that only 47 people in the whole world can understand!

Last edited:

WVB

signmeup said:
As I see it a plotter has a roller that turns back and forth, a carriage that goes left and right and a little knife that lifts up and down. Not really rocket science is it?

Adrian

Yes it actually is. There is more to it then just that. Roland, Graptec etc. all use HIGH quality parts. They use digital servo controlled motors not stepping motors. There is a lot that goes into these machines. Not to mention the type of warranty you get with Roland or Graphtec compared to a master. The tech support is bar none compared to a master.

corkinsa said:
but I am just looking to add to my arsenal of serious equiptment.

Then why are you looking at a master cutter? People buy these all day long for $450-$700 new! Your friend wants full price for a used cutter.

There is a reason why this "master" is $500 and why a Roland GX24 is 1995. You get what you pay for - Customer Service, Tech Support and a "serious" piece of equipment.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
signmeup said:
I hear "Chinese plotters are bad" a lot but not specific cases from owners of specific brands. I haven't actually seen a post that said "My Master plotter is crap! It won't do (insert problem here)so I threw it away." But then again, I haven't looked either. Maybe you could point out a few of these posts for me?
Anyway, the guy asked for opinions from people who had personally used the Master brand. So I gave my opinion.

Once upon a time I had a Panther, nee GCC, and I thought that, other than the manual seemed to have been translated from the native Venusian, it was just fine thank you. I thought this because I really had nothing with which to compare it. I didn't know any better

Then I got a Graphtec FC7000 and it became abundantly clear that the Panther wasn't a pimple on the ass of the Graphtec. There's no one big thing that jumps out and screams at you, rather there's lots of little elegances.

Things like multiple tool settings, soft landing [worth the price of admission all by itself], an ARMS that actually works, built-in light pointer, stainless platen with vacuum, civilized media loading for front or back feed, and a control panel and sequences that appear to be developed somewhat closer to Earth. To mention just a few things. There's lots more.

So buy a Chinese plotter and you'll probably be happy with it because you'll never know what you could have had.

signmeup

Si Allen said:
I want to talk to someone that speaks English, not some foreign dialect that only 47 people in the whole world can understand!
Um...I think it's more like 1.3 billion that understand the dialect.:Big Laugh

Adrian

signmeup

Bob,

You're probably right, but for now the Master cuts out my plastic letters just fine. It cost me $500.00 so when it dies maybe I'll go buy a good quality one. Is the Graphtec really $2300.00 better?

Adrian