• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need feedback on Colex sharpcut sxc1717

bigben

After some research and online demonstration, my choice for my first flatbed cutter is a colex sharpcut sxc1717 with the conveyor. We will mainly use it to cut rolled material (murals and diecut stickers) but will also bring cnc work in-house (aluminum signs, pvc, acrylic, styrene, etc.). I was about to pull the trigger on the summa, but their cnc can't cut aluminum. I need to be able to cut up to 80mil aluminum. We do a fair share of interior signage and will buy the braille option. I also like the possibility to make 3D stuff with an optional software (will check this in the future).

My main concern is the overall quality/reliability of the machine/company. I've never own/operate a machine like this, so I'm not even sure what to look. Is there a downside to not having a 5x10 table?

Thanks.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
I have been running Colex for 10 years now. I ran a brand new one at my first job and it ran like a dream. Since getting a new job I am still on a Colex, however it is their first gen model and is still going super strong. The owner here just cut out some 60mil aluminum (I think 60mil), it took a bit of figuring out the best settings to use but we were happy with the results after. I would highly suggest getting the 3HP router if you are doing this.

Since everything is made there in NJ it is super easy to get parts shipped to you if something goes wrong, which it hardly does for me. They have a strong support team that can usually walk you through any problem you have.

Downside to not having a 5 x 10 table would be not able to cut out a 5 x 10 board if you ever get the call for it. Also most rolls of media and printers are 54", although you can get smaller, but most places will run 54" if they have the option to. That is really your call for what you do at your work. If you are only running 24" / 36" material and will never ever ever ever run anything bigger then it is fine. But there are usually a few times every year where I think to myself "thank god we got a 5x10 table", better to have it and not need it, than needing it and not having it.

bigben

I have been running Colex for 10 years now. I ran a brand new one at my first job and it ran like a dream. Since getting a new job I am still on a Colex, however it is their first gen model and is still going super strong. The owner here just cut out some 60mil aluminum (I think 60mil), it took a bit of figuring out the best settings to use but we were happy with the results after. I would highly suggest getting the 3HP router if you are doing this.

Since everything is made there in NJ it is super easy to get parts shipped to you if something goes wrong, which it hardly does for me. They have a strong support team that can usually walk you through any problem you have.

Downside to not having a 5 x 10 table would be not able to cut out a 5 x 10 board if you ever get the call for it. Also most rolls of media and printers are 54", although you can get smaller, but most places will run 54" if they have the option to. That is really your call for what you do at your work. If you are only running 24" / 36" material and will never ever ever ever run anything bigger then it is fine. But there are usually a few times every year where I think to myself "thank god we got a 5x10 table", better to have it and not need it, than needing it and not having it.
Thanks for the feedback. The SXC1717 is a 5.5ftX5.5ft table. So there is no problem for rolls up to 64in. It is also the conveyor option, so for roll media, it's not a problem. I will definitely take the 3hp router. There is a considerable price jump between the 5.5x5.5 and 5.5x10.5 table. I'm just wondering if I cut let say a 4x8 sheet using the router, would the conveyor work for this situation?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Thanks for the feedback. The SXC1717 is a 5.5ftX5.5ft table. So there is no problem for rolls up to 64in. It is also the conveyor option, so for roll media, it's not a problem. I will definitely take the 3hp router. There is a considerable price jump between the 5.5x5.5 and 5.5x10.5 table. I'm just wondering if I cut let say a 4x8 sheet using the router, would the conveyor work for this situation?
I see. I do run the sharp cut so a bit unfamiliar with the sxc. As for routing a 4x8 on that table. I would definitely ask them about it. Did you ask them to do a demonstration of routing a 4x8 on that table? If not I would ask for a video or demonstration, I would even ask them to cut something that you will do, material and dieline

Mike Perth

We used to outsource our roll cutting to an excellent crew that uses a Zund which cut everything in their busy sign shop. All our wallpaper would come back with bits from the previous cut job all over it despite their best efforts to clean the bed between runs. We only run roll stock and cardboard on our new f series and now have no issues with dirty prints. If most of your work is murals and stickers you may consider not cutting Ali. If you print clear and frosted film having any filings and dirt through the cut job is a clean up nightmare and your installers won’t be happy either.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Our Colex does a great job cutting full rolls of decals. We have the 3hp router and cut .080 aluminum a lot, and .125 aluminum occasionally without any issues. Cutting larger than table size is a question for Colex.

tulsagraphics

I spoke to Gordon at Colex. He said the SXC1717 will not cut a 4x8 "blank". Anything larger than the bed size needs to have registration marks. So if you need to cut out "oversized" blanks, you have to print first. You could probably use a cheap low tack interior vinyl for easy application/removal. To clarify, I do not own one of these machines yet -- I've only researched it. The other noticeable difference (at least for me) is that Colex doesn't have an automatic tool changer like the Zund. I don't have the luxury of nesting many jobs together because I offer so many different types of signs (and specialize in rush jobs), so the automatic tool changer is high on the priority list for me.

Last edited:

bigben

I spoke to Gordon at Colex. He said the SXC1717 will not cut a 4x8 "blank". Anything larger than the bed size needs to have registration marks. So if you need to cut out "oversized" blanks, you have to print first. You could probably use a cheap low tack interior vinyl for easy application/removal. To clarify, I do not own one of these machines yet -- I've only researched it. The other noticeable difference (at least for me) is that Colex doesn't have an automatic tool changer like the Zund. I don't have the luxury of nesting many jobs together because I offer so many different types of signs (and specialize in rush jobs), so the automatic tool changer is high on the priority list for me.
I've got a different answer from my rep and the tech. You need to align the substrate perfectly on the bed but they said it's doable. I will double check this tho.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
I've got a different answer from my rep and the tech. You need to align the substrate perfectly on the bed but they said it's doable. I will double check this tho.
You can always pre drill holes and use them as registration marks. That is what i would suggest if you have the room. It takes and extra step or two but its not impossible. Just more impractical.