• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Flexi Sign Program

Signguy100

Hello folks,

I was just informed by my supplier that Flexi is no longer available as a disc with a key. He told me that you have to subscribe to a "cloud" option with a monthly fee. I realy need to purchase this as the disc version for my other employer. Does anyone know how or where I could get any version of this software ? I appreciate any help,

Thanks

CS-SignSupply

They dongle and disc are not supplied any longer, but you are not cornered into the Monthly Subscription. You can purchase a fully licensed version with a software license and program download. You will need an internet connection to Activate the software and download the license file, but that does not have to be the actual production computer.

Chat with me online for more questions and pricing; https://purechat.me/cssignsupply

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I haven't looked lately but when we were looking to upgrade a year or two ago there were still some new, older disc versions available on ebay.
Regardless of what version you decide on, make sure it will run the printer/plotter you have or are going to get.
For example flexi version 7.x or probably 8.x will not have drivers for a HP latex printer.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Regarding the Cloud based software lic.

How would I access and run the software lic. in the cloud if Scanvec/Amiable/Flexi went bankrupt and closed up? Does the software lic. expire at some point?

Thinking Enron?...

I have 25+ years of digital files in Flexi format. Mostly FS files and many others converted to FS files.

I prefer and want an installation disk and dongle.

player

Once you stop paying they shut you off. Any files you open and save will only be opened by the latest version you had before the shut down.

Pat Whatley

I've always wondered the same thing Mike. To me it sounds like if I pay for a cloud based subscription my files are essentially held hostage by the software company. I can only access them if I make continuing payments from now until the end of time.

visual800

LXI solftware at signwarehouse is the same and I would also hit the insternet for used flexi programs. I am going to avoid the cloud as long as I can

Steph_Stamm

How would I access and run the software lic. in the cloud if Scanvec/Amiable/Flexi went bankrupt and closed up? Does the software lic. expire at some point?

Thinking Enron?...
While it's somewhat flattering to be compared to Enron, the 7th largest company in America at one time, truth be told, SAi is much closer to the size of your business than we ever were to Enron. And, if it needs to even be said, SAi is a very stable company. We've been in business for 25 years, survived the economic crash in 2007/2008 and have been thriving since. You can also look at our history of innovation to see that we are actively invested in continuing to be in business. Besides, you have this type of risk no matter what piece of software (or energy trading company) you are doing business with.

I have 25+ years of digital files in Flexi format. Mostly FS files and many others converted to FS files.
Your files will always be yours. The software is the piece that you are licensing.

I prefer and want an installation disk and dongle.
With the release of Flexi 11, SAi followed suit of the vast majority of software companies and dropped the packaging, and instead delivers software in a much more efficient and cost-effective way. The packaging was unnecessary and required shipping, which was a cost the Flexi user would incur. The hard keys were also a headache for everyone: lost? stolen? stepped on? You will need a replacement. Again the Flexi user would incur the costs for a replacement key and shipping, as well as the hassle of sending the old key back. Finally, by delivering software via email, you can start using it right away, rather than waiting. Who doesn't love to play with their new toy right away?

To me it sounds like if I pay for a cloud based subscription my files are essentially held hostage by the software company. I can only access them if I make continuing payments from now until the end of time.
This is not the case. Your files will ALWAYS be your files. If you discontinue your subscription, you will no longer have access to that instance of Flexi, but you have the option of re-upping your subscription or purchasing a traditional license.

Once you stop paying they shut you off. Any files you open and save will only be opened by the latest version you had before the shut down.
Files are typically not backward compatible with any software you use - Adobe, Corel, anything. This is because any new features used cannot be understood by older versions. And if you prefer greater control over when the software opens, traditional may be the way to go rather than paying the low monthly cost of subscription.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
and required shipping, which was a cost the Flexi user would incur. The hard keys were also a headache for everyone: lost? stolen? stepped on? You will need a replacement

funny....being a flexi customer from version 5 up to 10, I never once complained about how much I was spending on packaging...and disks... and keys...

funny how the software company invents problems to cover the fact that they are screwing the chit outta you...

I still think the whole "you are licensing a product" is lunacy dreamt up by some lawyer and approved by some moron...

Im against going the Flexi cloud route myself and just picked up Signlab 9, updated from version 7 Flexi.....there is a good deal if you have a legal version of flexi, omega, illustrator or corel.....i think it was called a software swap promo, you dont need to trade it in either......funny the price is $750 almost what the dues from Flexi cloud would be yearly.

but the files are not hostage on Flexi cloud.....nor is the software actually in a cloud where you have to be online to use the software.....

the software is on your hard drive and files are saved where you tell them.

From what i was told the system checks monthly for your subscription. i also was told that there is a 15-30 day grace if your card didn't work.....so it wont just shut down without you knowing it will.

player

Files are typically not backward compatible with any software you use - Adobe, Corel, anything. This is because any new features used cannot be understood by older versions. And if you prefer greater control over when the software opens, traditional may be the way to go rather than paying the low monthly cost of subscription.

Yes everyone is quite aware of how software works. But say I had 25 years of files, I tried cloud for one month, any files I alter with the new rented software are now useless. Any files I open and look at with auto-save on would now be useless.

I bought Signlab Print and Cut for $750. I own it, and anything I create with it I will always have access to.

CanuckSigns

This is not the case. Your files will ALWAYS be your files. If you discontinue your subscription, you will no longer have access to that instance of Flexi, but you have the option of re-upping your subscription or purchasing a traditional license.

I think what people are mostly concerned with is not being able to access their older files. For example if I need to access a file I made in Signlab back in 1995 for some reason, even though I no longer use Signlab, i can install the program, open the file and do whatever I need to (export it etc.)

With a subscription service, i can't do this, even if I subscribe for 20 years, paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in licencing fees, as soon as I turn off the tap, i loose all access to everything.

What would be nice is a small program that would convert .fs files to something like .eps or some other non-propitiatory format, i know this will never happen as it undermines the whole idea of software subscription, which is to lock people in, and increase your cash flow by not having to rely on upgrades to make money. once someone commits to a program like flexi cloud for any length of time, the daunting task of converting everything over to another format so they can discontinue their service is enough to put most people off the thought of switching.

not to mention that you can't sell your software if you decide to move to something else or retire/sell the business.

I will be sticking with regular old software on a CD for as long as I can!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
You can still buy the program. Amiable has not (for the time being, anyway) gone the Adobe route and made the program subscription only. Might be a good idea to burn your own disc of the installer and any needed license files, though.

WildWestDesigns

You can still buy the program. Amiable has not (for the time being, anyway) gone the Adobe route and made the program subscription only. Might be a good idea to burn your own disc of the installer and any needed license files, though.

I would suggest an ISO image kept on a server. Optical discs go bad after so long, at least with a server you can have redundancies in place.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Of course the Flexi files are mine.

My point is if Flexi goes under, shuts down their servers and I can't open the program; what then???

This is why the disk and dongle is the better option...

player

WTF good are a bunch of files your own, that are completely useless to anyone?

I will not go with Adobe either. As time goes on, competing software like Corel will eclipse their advantage.

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Of course the Flexi files are mine.

My point is if Flexi goes under, shuts down their servers and I can't open the program; what then???

This is why the disk and dongle is the better option...

Even with the disc and dongle (we have more than one ourselves as I also prefer it this way) it still requires activation.... if they are gone then you are still stuck. Sure the fs files are ours to keep forever but if the software will not run then they are useless.

mrugen

What happens if.....

What happens if lightning strikes your computers.....NOT LIKELY

What happens if a car drives through your shop.....NOT LIKELY

What happens if a tornado destroys your shop.....RARE, happend to me. I survived, so did my business.

What happens if you have a heart attack.....POSSIBLE, happened to me. I survived, changed my habits.

What happens if terrorist invade your city.....NOT LIKELY. Too many red necks here, we'd destroy them.

What happens if a new sign shop opens right next door to you....LIKELY. Better keep up or you loose.

What happens if Adobe goes out of business.....NOT LIKELY.

What happens if SAI goes out of business....NOT LIKELY.

What happens if there is no SIGNS 101 to complain on....OMG I don't want to think about it.

Why worry about what might happen when you have full control over what can happen? Whether you use Adobe products, Flexi, SignLAB as desktop version or by subscription make business happen while you can and retire! Then go fishing....but what happens if the boat leaks? Is there a Fishing101.com?

rjssigns

Subscription service to anything is purely profit driven. Why sell them a set of disks they can use for many years when you can charge them every month and make far more profit?

Prove me wrong. I'm sure you can do the math.

What hacks me off about this whole subscription deal is the college students. What a stellar idea to saddle them with yet another payment.

I could go on poking holes in this Software as a Service deal, but I won't.

CanuckSigns

Subscription service to anything is purely profit driven. Why sell them a set of disks they can use for many years when you can charge them every month and make far more profit?

Prove me wrong. I'm sure you can do the math.

What hacks me off about this whole subscription deal is the college students. What a stellar idea to saddle them with yet another payment.

I could go on poking holes in this Software as a Service deal, but I won't.

It's the mentality these days, listen to the new car ads on the radio latley, "Own for as little as $55 a week!" pretty soon they will start telling you how little it will cost per hour!

It's all about the "low cost per month" no one wants to know what the actual cost of ownership is.