• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Goosenecks for Post& Panel Sign

fresh

I have this idea to install goosenecks on the top of a post and panel sign... but i think I might be imagining this product. I've photoshopped the general idea of what i'm looking for. (this is the profile view)

Am I crazy? Does something like this exist?

Attachments

• goosy goosy.jpg
    goosy goosy.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 216

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It exists, but the way you have it drawn, you'll create glares. Most of the time, it's better to put them in the ground, a little distance away..... so the entire sign can be lit up and not just a spot.

fresh

It exists, but the way you have it drawn, you'll create glares. Most of the time, it's better to put them in the ground, a little distance away..... so the entire sign can be lit up and not just a spot.

Do you know where I could find one? This was a quick illustration, the lights should be further away from the face and there will be 2 or 3 fixtures.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You've got to consider the incident angle of the light from the source and map the foot-candles on the reflected surface. A wide angle beam will yield the best results in most cases (the one linked to below is 110º). Econolight has a lighting design tool that can prepare photo-metric diagrams. Too many times I have seen lights too close to the sign surface, creating a hot spot, and aimed downward creating glare from the viewing position. Also, the light will need to be "brighter" in well lit areas, and "less bright" in darker locations. This can be achieved by selecting the correct wattage/lumens of light output, distance from the reflected surface, and beam width.

Most photometric programs you will find deal with parking and wall mount lights. Just turn the diagram sideways to get the info you will need for lighting a vertical surface.

Uploaded is a bracket from the Sign Bracket Store customized with longer extensions and wide beam LED floods. Works great! I ended up painting the shiny bolts and hardware flat black.

https://www.signbracketstore.com/sign-brackets/lighted.html

https://www.e-conolight.com/led-directional-floodlight-small-700-lumens-e-conolight.html

Attachments

• Lucca sample.jpg
    Lucca sample.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 131