• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help with my HP 9000s

Im getting what looks like over spray around my logo and images. I turned the heat up a little but didn't seem to help. Can anybody tell me why this is happening? My logos look like poop on a stick big time and the customer wants nice and crisp looking edges. Thanks for looking and all your help.

Jay

HulkSmash

I had this problem once. It had to do with little fibers that were caught in the print heads from when they slid across the edges of my scrim banner. Take a flash light check if you see little fiber or fuzz hanging down from the print heads. Also... static could cause this. what material are you printing on.

I had this problem once. It had to do with little fibers that were caught in the print heads from when they slid across the edges of my scrim banner. Take a flash light check if you see little fiber or fuzz hanging down from the print heads. Also... static could cause this. what material are you printing on.

yea i clean and run a daily maitence on it everyday. I take very good care of my HP. It just seems like its getting worse.

Im printing this on Orajet 3641G-10 Media.
It also did it on my Banner i printed last week too.

Thanks again.

csc

Make sure the plastic shields on both sides of the printhead carriage are seated down properly. A friend had his shield up higher than they should be and excessive air was getting in between the head and media causing ink to drift instead of dropping like it supposed to. Also when not printing banners, carriage should be at it's lowest height.
Using a small mirror and flashlight, check the surface of the heads for dry ink build up. Fibers and lint will attach to the surface if ink deposits that are present. I move the carriage over to the wiper side and use swabs, slightly bent at the swab side, soaked with cleaning solution to soften the dry ink and carefully rubbing back and forth but yet avoiding the piezo nozzles.
You would be surprised how just a little deposit can cause spraying.

Make sure the plastic shields on both sides of the printhead carriage are seated down properly. A friend had his shield up higher than they should be and excessive air was getting in between the head and media causing ink to drift instead of dropping like it supposed to. Also when not printing banners, carriage should be at it's lowest height.
Using a small mirror and flashlight, check the surface of the heads for dry ink build up. Fibers and lint will attach to the surface if ink deposits that are present. I move the carriage over to the wiper side and use swabs, slightly bent at the swab side, soaked with cleaning solution to soften the dry ink and carefully rubbing back and forth but yet avoiding the piezo nozzles.
You would be surprised how just a little deposit can cause spraying.

OK im gonna try this next. thanks so much.

ok i tried the cleaning and gently cleaning the heads and it looks the same if not getting worse. I called a tech and he said it could be out of calibration. Is this something I can do myself?

tbaker

heads like all pieces of equipment wear with age. Calibrations are best left to the techs, but HP does allow for a little user level calibration. Check page 98 of your user manual for more information. Overspray can be caused by a couple things, improper head voltage, nozzle deflection, or could be cause by after market ink. slowing the printer down, and printing in uni-directional mode "should" help improve print quality, but you will sacrifice production speed. Hope this helps.

Quix

I get this overspay when environment temperature is too cold, and only in Cyan and Black.
I believe it's because of the density of the ink (I use TechInk Platinum Advantage SK - and I´m not very happy with my choice).
After working for a while, the spraying stops.

Bill Modzel

I bought the Printhead Nozzle Plate Cleaning kit when I was getting some overspray also.
It's a pad that you wet with cleaning solution and than shim up to contact the print heads and let soak overnight to clean off any dried ink residue from under the heads. It certainly helped mine even though I run through the normal cleaning steps at least three times a week.

I think it's a good preventative measure to use occasionally even if your heads aren't acting up.