• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need pointers for my resume

WrapperX

Ok a few things at first - sentance structure is something to be desired. If you can't write a sentance properly it shows a lower level of education. I'm sure alot of the problems here are a basis of direct translation but it should still be written correctly if you are to be taken seriously.

Looking for a relocation opportunity [Who is looking for a relocation oppertunity] within the United States lower 48. [Should read ...within the lower 48 States or something of that wording] I have many years in the printing industry starting from Digital Imaging through Offset Printing and finally in the Large Format Printing arena [This sentance seems long and could be broken up to make it easier to read] dealing with digital files,print prep, and graphics installs. I don’t claim to be the best at what I do, but I am always keen to learning new techniques that will help improve the production line. [You don't want to give them any reason to doubt your ability] Anyone looking for a dedicated employee that can perform on his own or within a team environment would benefit by adding me to their team.

Also - in your education section - Watching Videos online about installations doesn't really count as viable education.

Good luck and I hope that you are able to expand to the lower 48 like you want to.

Locals Find!

Don't use the term lower 48 as it just sounds wrong. Your on an island that is lower than most of the country on a globe. Say something like Continental 48 or something along those lines. Only Alaskans refer to the rest of the country as the lower 48.

dsmskyline

Ive always been told that on a resume you never want to list more than 3 of the most recent or most applicable jobs. Also want to keep it as short and to the point as possible.

As far as educations goes, most employers arent going to car about anything you read or watched on the internet. That is, unless you had to take some sort of exam and were given a certificate of some sort.

Just my $0.02. Ive never not gotten a job I interviewed for.

WrapperX

Don't use the term lower 48 as it just sounds wrong. Your on an island that is lower than most of the country on a globe. Say something like Continental 48 or something along those lines. Only Alaskans refer to the rest of the country as the lower 48.

:goodpost: That is a better way to word it. Well put!

jc1cell

Excellent guys. Thank You.

Here's an updated version that I put through a spell checker and grammar checker.

To find a relocation opportunity in the Continental 48. I have many years of work in the printing industry. Starting from Digital Imaging through Offset Printing and finally in the Large Format Printing arena, managing digital files, print prep and graphics installs. I am always looking to learn new techniques that will help improve the flow of production and have helped previous employers see improvements in production. These have made them more than satisfied with my work. Anyone looking for a dedicated and multitalented career employee who can perform on his own or within a team environment, while growing with the company, would benefit by adding me to their team.

LoneRanger01

I didn't read all the posts so sorry if I have stepped on anyone's toes.
As an employer having owned several business from trucking, auto body, software, and computer design, and yes even a taxi cab company the first thing I look for on a resume is how can this person benifit my company? If it were me when listing your experience instead of tell me what you can do you should be telling me how I as your new employer can or will be benifiting from your experiences.......just a thought and keep in mind I haven't looked for a new job since 1972 when I came back from Viet Nam.....
But I have read hundreds of resumes and everyone list what they can do, very few people list what they can do for the new employer leaving him to figure out how he can best use your talents......

SignaramaFL

Ive always been told that on a resume you never want to list more than 3 of the most recent or most applicable jobs. Also want to keep it as short and to the point as possible.

As far as educations goes, most employers arent going to car about anything you read or watched on the internet. That is, unless you had to take some sort of exam and were given a certificate of some sort.

Just my $0.02. Ive never not gotten a job I interviewed for.

+1, I was also told that keep it to the 3 most recent jobs. And keep it under two pages. (not counting a cover letter)

jc1cell

I'm understanding the three most recent. The reason I have more is to show my previous experience in the states. To show that I'm not necessarily going to be a fresh fish in the country but that I have some pretty good experience there.

I worked my way up the ladder for ten years. Working hard and taking every opportunity that presented itself. I went from a janitor at a Photo Lab to their main production guy in the Digital Imaging Department in four years. As the years went by I made it to a prepress supervisor in company with three different locations nationwide.

Limiting it to what I already have doesn't show this progress, but I think it at least can provide some background of understanding practices in the US. I think, anyway.

jc

LoneRanger01

"Anyone looking for a dedicated and multitalented career employee who can perform on his own or within a team environment, while growing with the company, would benefit by adding me to their team. "

As a dedicated and multitalented career employee, I can perform on my own or within a team enviroment benifiting your company as it grows.

Rule number 1701.......never refer to yourself in the third party.

LoneRanger01

Here is something else you might think about. Don't put the dates down as to how long you were with each company. if the new boss wants to know he will ask you at your face to face. Now by not putting down how long you were at each company you can now lump the companies together as 7 years experince doing some thing instead of 3.5 years here and 3.5 years there.
In case you didn't know employers have a secret code they talk to each other in. Most employers that don't know the code will not give or responde to a referance for fear of being sued. If an employer calls for a referance he doesn't ask how long you were there he will simply ask would you rehire this person. there are two answers, the good one would be yes and the bad one would be yes I would give him another chance. Which is code for not on your life do I want this person back,,,,,but above all else remember and continue to use spell check for both of us........

AUTO-FX

It's okay to list strengths AND weaknesses. Emphasize the strengths. Downplay weakness, point out that you are eager to improve. Keep everything simple and easy to read. Short and sweet. Your resume shouldnt be a book, but a summary to invite further inquiry.
Good luck out there!

Tim Kingston

Here is what I was told, from a course I took:

Talk about you acomplishments instead of duties. Target your resume for job coveted. Use point form, no paragraphs. Avoid using "I" or " My duties included" or " I was responsible for" . . . taken right from the book, Tim.

jc1cell

just so you know if you get the job.......I want my 20%........ha,ha,ha....

Count on it....not receiving it, that is...hahahaha.

Here is what I was told, from a course I took:

Talk about you acomplishments instead of duties. Target your resume for job coveted. Use point form, no paragraphs. Avoid using "I" or " My duties included" or " I was responsible for" . . . taken right from the book, Tim.

Holy plagiarism batman. My exact words were on the book. How did they read it if it wasn't written yet?

I'll see if I can revise it and show a revision.

Thanks all, for your help. Greatly appreciated.

jc