• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need pointers for my resume

jc1cell

Ok guys.

I'm pondering a relocation to the lower 48. While the decision is not set in stone yet I'm working on my resume and before year end I will have made my decision on what to do.

Hoping you all would take the time to read it over and give me any suggestions on anything you feel should be modified. I'm looking for a high production facility that will keep me busy, even if I have to work extra shifts consistently. I just want to work consistently during the work day!

I didn't include that there because I personally would not be interested in reading that in a resume. Maybe during the interview I would like to hear it, but not on the resume. Nor did I include the side projects I work. Don't think it would apply.

If you have any company names that would fit the profile. Their info would be great as well.

Thanks for any help with this guys.

jc

Attachments

• JoseResume_English.pdf
    87 KB · Views: 120

James Chrimes

I am not much of a judge on writing a resume, as I don't ever rember having to create one. But the thing as an employer that stood out right away to me was the time frames that you have held your past jobs. I think the longest you have been at one spot is three years. Could be that some of the companys went out of business... I'm not sure. Best of luck to you. If you have design skills, I would be putting together a portfolio to share with this.

jc1cell

The ones locally have been just that. Closing, downsizing, etc.

The ones in the US were actually moves made stepping up to better positions and pay. I thought it was noticeable. I would've stayed in my last job but had to relocate due to family matters.

Production here as been steady but on the low side and I'm the kind of guy that likes to work and be active all day every day. Sure, some days with low production is ok but not as bad as it is here. I understand cycles and all things related but what I see here is crazy. Plus, the pay leaves much to be desired in the entire industry here.

Thanks guys for the remarks.

****Edit

As far as design skills....ask signmaniac...jajajjaja. More of a production guy really and would like to gear the resume towards that.

Maybe I should add some older jobs I held for longer in the US. I'm a career type of guy if the culture for it is present.
jc

WildWestDesigns

One phrasing that didn't sit well with me started with "I don't claim...", in fact, it's those three words. Not something that I would want to read, it just comes off the wrong way to me.

jc1cell

Maybe change:
"I don’t claim to be the best at what I do, but..."

to:

"I always aim for my best effort and"

What do you think?

jc

Marlene

I don’t claim to​
be the best at what I do,

I agree with WildWest on this. not a good thing to say. put that with the short times on the job listings and the two don't make it sound like you are some one that a person should consider.

can you generalize your work places so that it doesn't look like you don't stay anywhere for very long? I have seen the designs that you have posted and you are good. I would never have connected the person I know from the site to the resume posted as you are much better than that!

jc1cell

Appreciate it guys...I don't lack confidence, just don't like to oversell. Rather over deliver on the job.

I'll try and re work it. Maybe indicating why I left for each job will help with the date issue. How about my above suggestion for modifying the the mentioned text?

jc

WildWestDesigns

Maybe change:
"I don’t claim to be the best at what I do, but..."

to:

"I always aim for my best effort and"

What do you think?

jc

Still kinda wishy washy. I don't have so much a problem with the willing to learn, but I would actually keep it at that and maybe even put that at the end saying something like "Always willing to learn new [insert term]".

I understand the urge to not make a claim that you may not be able to live up to, but instead of adding that "caveat", just focus on what claims you know you can back up and back up in a big way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think what everyone is saying is... it's not a good idea to tell someone the things you aren't good at or don't like right upfront. You can't sell yourself, if you're using negative undertones. Then again, don't exaggerate about yourself. Simply don't mention it and if it comes up in a face to face interview, then tell them, yes, you can do that and are still improving those particular areas. For the most part, we're ALL improving and continuing to hone our skills, but no need to set up a road block or red flag before you get your foot in the door.

Marlene

it wouldn't hurt if you included some photos of your work as that speaks for itself. not sure if that is common in a resume as I haven't done one in 30 years but I sure would think that seeing what you can do, your use of color which is outstanding would "say" more about you than anything else

GoodPeopleFlags

I've always heard that you want to keep a resume to 1 page. Simple and to the point. You can create a website for yourself with your portfolio and go into more detail about what you've done, what you do and what you want. Then send a potential employer your resume and a link to your website.

jtrainor56

jc,

Being in IT as a contractor for over 20 years I have done a number of these. The one thing that stands out that others have mentioned are these sentences..

I don’t claim to be the best at what I do, but am always keen to learning new techniques that will help improve the production line. Anyone looking for a dedicated employee that can perform on his own or within a team environment would benefit by adding me to their team.

I would change it to something like: I am always looking to learn new techniques that will help improve production and grow the company. I work well
within a team environment and as an individual.

As for the length at the different jobs, I would not worry too much about it. I worked for 3 different consulting companies over a 5 year period all for the same client. The client was always looking for the consulting companies to cut costs and showed no loyalty to anyone.

Also, stating why you left each company in a resume should be left for an interview and not the resume.

jc1cell

Thank you all for your comments and pointers.

I will be adding a link to the second page leading to a portfolio of projects and layouts done. Not created yet, but when it's done I will post it here for review.

Also. Here's the modified version of the Objective:

Looking for a relocation opportunity within the United States lower 48. I have many years in the printing industry starting from Digital Imaging through Offset Printing and finally in the Large Format Printing arena dealing with digital files print prep and graphics installs. I am always looking to learn new techniques that will help improve the flow of production. Everywhere I have worked has seen improvement in production and have been more than satisfied with my work. Anyone looking for a dedicated and multitalented career employee that can perform on his own or within a team environment while growing with the company, would benefit by adding me to their team.

Marlene

Looking for a relocation opportunity within the United States lower 48. I have many years in the printing industry starting from Digital Imaging through Offset Printing and finally in the Large Format Printing arena dealing with digital files print prep and graphics installs. I am always looking to learn new techniques that will help improve the flow of production. Everywhere I have worked has seen improvement in production and have been more than satisfied with my work. Anyone looking for a dedicated and multitalented career employee that can perform on his own or within a team environment while growing with the company, would benefit by adding me to their team.

well that is a whole lot better. it tells them what you know and what you can do for them.