• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some help regarding Microsoft Word

evader

I am doing a book for a client...it's a collective bargainning book between a union and it's members or something like that. The thing is they have everything already typed out in Microsoft word (it's about 90 pages) on 8.5 x 11 pages but the pages in the printed book need to be 4.25 x 5.5.
Is there a way to change the size of the page in microsoft word that will automatically reduce the font size to the appropriate size and keep the formatting the same...like the tabs, indents, ect.?

Or is there a way to import from microsoft word into coreldraw that will keep the formatting ect.?

I've done one of these before by copying from word and pasting into corel and then resizing the font but it took forever to fix all the formatting on every page and I was hoping there was an easier/quicker way to do it.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me :thumb:

Rod

Page layout and modify styles

1. You want to go Page Layout and set the change the page size.

2.Then for each of the styles in your document, right-click each one and choose Modify.

Generally, when you set up a document, you want to use header, normal, and body text styles, such that you can quickly modify the entire document by adjusting the styles. Same deal with InDesign, really, though greater control over layout.

Xskimo

I am doing a book for a client...it's a collective bargainning book between a union and it's members or something like that. The thing is they have everything already typed out in Microsoft word (it's about 90 pages) on 8.5 x 11 pages but the pages in the printed book need to be 4.25 x 5.5.

Is there a way to change the size of the page in microsoft word that will automatically reduce the font size to the appropriate size and keep the formatting the same...like the tabs, indents, ect.?

Or is there a way to import from microsoft word into coreldraw that will keep the formatting ect.?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me :thumb:

I would suggest calling your local mom and pop printer. They should be able to take what you have, as is, and send it straight to their digital printer where it will print out as you have described useing the "booklet maker feature", or some such feature....and you don't have to resize/reformat anything. These digital printers are pretty smart and can do this fairly easily.

Techman

I print booklets all the time myself. It's pretty easy with the right utilities.
A color laser and booklet stapler and a great layout is all it takes.

KR3signguy

Yes Pdf it it give it to any local printer that has Quite Imposing. Usually any Kinkos will be able to do it. Q.I. can resize & bookletize your document in a snap.

weaselboogie

primo PDF!!!

http://www.primopdf.com/

Thank shovelhead for this link. This thing is awesome. It acts as a print option, printing to pdf from ANY program. I've been wanting to export excel as a pdf for years, but have been doing screen shots and modifiying it as a jpg.

But the best part is that it's free.

Rod

Print a PDF file

[B]evader[/B] said:
How do I save a word document as a pdf file? I don't see that option anywhere?

To create a PDF, the de facto standard is Adobe Acrobat, which would add "Adobe PDF" as a print destination out of Windows applications.

If you use a third-party PDF generation, then please be aware that there can be variations in how graphic objects are organized within the file. Bear that in mind should you be trying to ask customer to send a file to you.

Regards,

Rod

Rod

The quality of PDF objects will vary

[FONT=Arial]Techman[/FONT] said:
and then ,, a PDF fiel can not be edited, changed, modified in any way.

Um, no. A PDF file is technically just another file format. However, it is a convenient format for sending proofs because all a customer needs is Acrobat Reader to view.

From a design standpoint, a PDF can contain color profiles, registration marks, typefaces and so on, such that it can also be used for exchanging design information between (say) the customer marketing department and your sign shop.

For example, SignLab can import a PDF design and import the various line art, text, font, bitmaps, etc. that are in there. Bear in mind that the data objects within the PDF are largely dependent upon what tool was used to generate the PDF. For PDFs created by a third-party utility, SignLab actually has quite a bit of functionality built-in to interpret such files. However, if a gradient object was created within the PDF as a thousand thin rectangles that vary in hue, then that's what you'll have on the SignLab design space. In comparison, Adobe Acrobat is generally smarter about PDF object creation.

With respect to locking a PDF to prevent it from being edited/printed, this would be a flag when creating the PDF. However, this is not to say that an unethical person wouldn't try to bypass that, so take care how you send out your PDF proofs.

Regards,

Rod at CADlink

Techman

This person is looking for a way to publish a booklet using MS Word.

I don't believe a PDF is what they would use in this case.

There is a way to do it via that link above. However, there are better ways to achieve this goal.

I used Corel Ventura for work of this type. It will format the booklet perfectly and then it has a print utility to puplish that booklet using your regular old laser printer.

Now I use InDesign and the associated plugin to print booklets. Works perfectly every time. One of my printers is not a duplexer. However this is easily overcome using the duplexing wizard.