• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to update to Windows 10 - can I still run Signlab 8?

Neil

As the title says - I haven't found a definitive answer to this yet.
What are my options?
Does Signlab 8 run okay in Windows 10? 11?
I have new hasp drivers ready for my purple dongle, in case that gives me trouble.

I may get a new PC with Windows 10 or 11 - or I may keep this PC and just update my current win 7 to win 10.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I don't use Signlab so I can't answer to that program specifically, but, I do have a multitude of computers from XP through to Win 11 in my shop. Some workstations just run one specific machine or program.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
what OS was it originally designed for?
Most software ~Should~ on win10, as there is compatibility mode.
I've played games from XP on win 10. Anything older than XP you'll probably run into issues.
Win10 & 11 are eventually the same.
You should be updating to windows 11, not 10 as it wont be supported for much longer.

Worse case, run it in a virtual machine. Annoying, but allows your main OS be up to date and run a virtual machine with the right OS for signlab.

Neil

what OS was it originally designed for?
Most software ~Should~ on win10, as there is compatibility mode.
I've played games from XP on win 10. Anything older than XP you'll probably run into issues.
Win10 & 11 are eventually the same.
You should be updating to windows 11, not 10 as it wont be supported for much longer.

Worse case, run it in a virtual machine. Annoying, but allows your main OS be up to date and run a virtual machine with the right OS for signlab.
This version is Dec 2010, so probably XP originally?
I'm thinking I may need to do like you say and run it in a virtual machine.
But, there's a lot of Signlab users like me that still run the older versions, and surely someone has updated their Windows by now and knows the answer???!

...I'm hoping the answer is not to update Signlab. The latest version(10) they removed the profiling module.
I'll update when I have to if I buy a new printer that needs the new version to drive it. But not until then.

Cadlink have been bought out by EFI, so I'm hoping they may release an all new version of Signlab (with profiling) eventually.

MikePro

Can't speak for Signlab specifically, but i haven't had any issues yet running compatibility mode on older versions of software designed for windows 7.

HIGHLY recommend using the googles to find the steps to making windows11 look like windows 7 and removing all the extra crap microsoft is trying to cram into the OS. There's programs you can buy to do it for you, but a little rabbit-holing and you can do it all yourself easily.

jimdtg

But, there's a lot of Signlab users like me that still run the older versions, and surely someone has updated their Windows by now and knows the answer???!

...I'm hoping the answer is not to update Signlab. The latest version(10) they removed the profiling module.
I'll update when I have to if I buy a new printer that needs the new version to drive it. But not until then.

Cadlink have been bought out by EFI, so I'm hoping they may release an all new version of Signlab (with profiling) eventually.
Does profiling module mean color profile maker?

Neil

Does profiling module mean color profile maker?
Yes, they call it "Advanced Calibration Wizard".
It means you can create your own printmodes from scratch. Set Max ink, print the the linearization chart, scan with a spectrophotometer, it plots the curves...can then print the icc targets.
I create the icc in another program (i1 Match). Then import it into the new printmode. But need to do the first steps in Signlab.

As far as I'm aware, this capability no longer exists in SL10?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

If it was designed on XP, it should work. As mentioned, i've ran old games from XP on windows 11 with no issues.
But, id probably look at upgrading cadlink. See if the new one has the profiling module. Get a demo of it. It's probably called something else.

The software is over 20 years old. Im sure the new one is leaps and bounds better than the old one.

jimdtg

Yes, they call it "Advanced Calibration Wizard".
It means you can create your own printmodes from scratch. Set Max ink, print the the linearization chart, scan with a spectrophotometer, it plots the curves...can then print the icc targets.
I create the icc in another program (i1 Match). Then import it into the new printmode. But need to do the first steps in Signlab.

As far as I'm aware, this capability no longer exists in SL10?
As I know that feature is still available in SL10. Did you try demo version last time and it's not active?

Neil

As I know that feature is still available in SL10. Did you try demo version last time and it's not active?
I tried version 9, which had the profiling and pre-flight colour editing removed.

I have downloaded SL10 trial version but haven't installed it.
It's a full install, so I'm worried that when I uninstall it, it may remove some important dll's or alter things in my perfectly working, not broken - don't fix it, version 8.

Last edited: