• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Traffic Signs in Bulk (4000+ Signs)

Night Owl

I am looking for Traffic Sign manufacturers who can supply 4000+ Traffic signs in a single order, All signs needs to be High Intensity Prismatic grade.
I am looking for someone with the best pricing.

rjssigns

My how times have changed. Apparently it has become exceedingly difficult to do a web search and cold call companies these days.:rolleyes:

Note to the OP:
Be careful what you ask for. I got a glowing recommendation for a company on this forum.
Turned into a horrifying mess of lies, excuses, late by months, and to top it off the order was jacked up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not only using the search, but when did municipalities start using unauthorized traffic sign shops to supply their needs ??

So many hoops to jump through for these kinda things and the way this request was worded, this OP doesn't have a clue as to what's needed. In for a bad undertaking.

rjssigns

Not only using the search, but when did municipalities start using unauthorized traffic sign shops to supply their needs ??

So many hoops to jump through for these kinda things and the way this request was worded, this OP doesn't have a clue as to what's needed. In for a bad undertaking.
Lotsa clueless people out there and it seems to be getting worse. This forum gets more "how do I do this or that" requests than I ever remember.
If you don't know don't "F" with it! Absolutely clueless regarding regs, some jobs needing stamped engineering drawings, the permitting process etc...
Seems folks are no longer capable to work through a problem on their own and find a solution.

"I don't wanna learn, pay my dues, or earn my chops, just pay me a lot"

ikarasu

Seems like a scam post to me. No one in their right mind would order 4000 traffic signs from a sign shop who isn't capable of making traffic Signs.

We just supplied a city with a year of traffic signs - it was a $130,000 contract, all in one go... The hoops you have to jump through just to be considered is insane. At least in Canada there's maybe 5-6 shops that can handle that volume, and anyone placing an order that big knows how they are.

I can't see a municipality ordering 400 signs from an unknown shop, let alone 4000 signs... Unless of course this is a municipality trying to cut out the middle man.. either way, sounds fishy to me!

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I agree with Ikarasu...this sounds like a scam. I'm not sure of any city that would need 4,000+ traffic signs in a single order. How would the order person even be able to keep track of all those signs without a enormous spreadsheet. If this is true, I would have them pay upfront and make sure the check clears. At $50 per sign that is $200,000.

How long will it take 25 men to hang 4,000 signs if 25% of the signs take 30 minutes per man and 75% take 1 hour with two men?

I have no idea, just sounded like a good story problem.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I agree with Ikarasu...this sounds like a scam. I'm not sure of any city that would need 4,000+ traffic signs in a single order. How would the order person even be able to keep track of all those signs without a enormous spreadsheet. If this is true, I would have them pay upfront and make sure the check clears. At $50 per sign that is $200,000.

How long will it take 25 men to hang 4,000 signs if 25% of the signs take 30 minutes per man and 75% take 1 hour with two men?

I have no idea, just sounded like a good story problem.
That hurt my brain.

citysignshop

Yeah, me too. I pulled a muscle in my head.
Ouch! ...good thing I don't have that muscle group! :)

....this is actually not THAT weird...coming from a municipal sign shop....we have about 15,000 PARKING signs alone in our city of 110,000! So the traffic planners could be budgeting to upgrade all their old Engineer Grade type 1 reflective with HIP, perhaps over the next 5 years, and thus want to know what that will cost. Budget exercises like this are very common, and sadly, a shop can waste a lot of time with them, and the job never goes ahead.
...or...as others have noted, the big traffic supply plants are most likely to win the bid, and get the work anyway!...which is kind of what you'd expect, right?
Nothing wrong with "swingin' for the fence"....but a cautionary note, going for a big job entails the potential of big risk, and a big loss if things go sideways.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ouch! ...good thing I don't have that muscle group! :)

....this is actually not THAT weird...coming from a municipal sign shop....we have about 15,000 PARKING signs alone in our city of 110,000! So the traffic planners could be budgeting to upgrade all their old Engineer Grade type 1 reflective with HIP, perhaps over the next 5 years, and thus want to know what that will cost. Budget exercises like this are very common, and sadly, a shop can waste a lot of time with them, and the job never goes ahead.
...or...as others have noted, the big traffic supply plants are most likely to win the bid, and get the work anyway!...which is kind of what you'd expect, right?
Nothing wrong with "swingin' for the fence"....but a cautionary note, going for a big job entails the potential of big risk, and a big loss if things go sideways.
That's interesting to know!

And that raises a point in that most companies/cities require more than one bid so they could very well already know who is getting the job but simply gathering 1-2 additional bids to full fill their requirements.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's all well & good, but for the most part, the OP here is from the states and down here, for the most part..... other than private property ( which wouldn't need near that many pieces), these kindsa orders are generally furnished by an authorized company, such as you are. Run of the mill sign shops are not usually used as they are not authorized. However, many people don't realize that and just go willie-nillie and order from the cheapest supplier. That's why you see many faulty signs around the country..... these idiots don't know what they're doing.

CanuckSigns

As someone else posted, there are a handful of shops in the country that could handle an order of this size, any city ordering this kind of quantity will know who they are and go to them directly.