• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need your input Multi pupose vinyl just starting out

signergy

Hello to all.
Just starting out on my own. Previously ran a small garment screen print shop and most recently did layouts for a local sign shop. I am starting up in a home office looking for extra income.
Really love working with vinyl. My question to all of you... what is a good vinyl that I can use for work vehicles, car decals, and small corrugated signs? glass wear and just your basic decal? LOL I know, asking the world of one product. I don't want cheap. I have read about the oracle 651, 751 and I am not sure which of these two would be the best. I researched and believe I want to go with a cast vinyl. I have talked to a couple reps but would like the input of those out there using the products. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You don't want to use 1 vinyl for all of that stuff or else you will be losing money. There are a ton of options and different features for whatever application you need it for. Are you hand mounting or machine mounting? Hand mounting vinyl is a lot easier with air release features but can add a little bit more to the cost. Are you covering up old signage? You might want to get vinyl with the block out layer so that the old signage doesn't show through. Are your customers applying the decals on their own like bumper stickers etc? You might want to go 6 mil instead of 3 to make it easier for them to apply the sticker without ruining it. There are many other factors and applications that will direct your decision but I think you get the point. Using cast as your main vinyl for everything will cost you dearly. Unless car wraps are your main business, I don't think you will find many sign shops exclusively using cast vinyl. Take the time to learn about different vinyls and what their pros and cons are as well as the cost.

TXFB.INS

you basically answered your own question.

depending on the project is what you need for vinyl,
calendared vinyl is best for short term, yard signs, decals.
Cast is best for long term, vehicles, permanent signs

now with that said we have used 651 for years on certain vehicles and they still look good.
the customer needs to know the difference and they need to see the price difference between the two so they can choose. more often then not calendared material is sold as cast

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you have a screen printing background, you should be aware of the various inks for various products. Well, vinyl application is kinda the same. You need various vinyls for different applications. If you want a basic all-around vinyl, you can do it, but you'll either be cutting corners for some applications or overkill for others. If ya wanna play it safe, go with 651 or 751. Both are in the middle to higher end of basic jobs.

mmblarg

Not sure about a full range multipurpose like you are looking for, but we have good luck with 3M cast Air-Egress vinyls. There's a multitude of different types and levels of quality, but when it comes to vehicle wraps with tricky contours, these are our go-to vinyls because it's easier to snap them up and re-position without tearing and the Air-Egress allows you to flatten trapped air.

Word of advice though: you may not want to turn to lower cost vinyls, but your customer base may not share that desire. We have different grades of vinyl to fulfill not only the order requirements, but the customer's budget. There's no way in heck would we ever waste that high quality vinyl on something like a yard sign - that's just wasteful overkill and our clients would rightfully refuse the huge price difference.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

Msrae

Rae
Like everyone has stated, different jobs call for different vinyl. I have always been a fan of the Orafol/Oracal 651 and 751 as well as their air release vinyls. It can be tricky to learn the different vinyls and even more tricky when you start to learn the different vinyls each manufacturer produces. I know very little about the Avery or 3M because I always use Oracal, so I am branching out and trying a few of the others. It is good to venture out and learn the other manufactures and what they call each different vinyl. Try contacting a local supply house, if you have one in your area, and see if they offer some seminars/webinars/ hands-on training. I have learned a lot by going to different seminars our local supplier offers, from dye sublimation to a complete vehicle Wrap class, see what they might have to offer.