• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking woes

Service Sign Co

Talk about networking woes. My wireless Linksys laptop just quit working online. Just the laptop I use downstairs, the only thing I can figure is the metal roof that was just installed on primary residence last week. Commercial areas are full of metal roofs and that doesen't seem to be a problem. I can purchase a power booster, but it may be a waste of $$. The laptop works on the back patio, but I don't want to walk outside to check e-mails. I only have 2 PC desktops networked online so it isn't an address issue. Do any techs out there ever had this issue Thanks, Moody

Bogie

Wireless-wise, when I had my router sitting on top of the computer upstairs, the computer downstairs couldn't see it...

It's now sitting under the desk.

Techman

Did you make any changes to the WEP settings..
move the wireles router away from yoru monitor, cpu and printer.
test by unplugging any cordless phones that are close to the sytem.
Turn the router 90 degrees.

Check to make sure the router is running at 90% power. Default they are often just 40% and sometimes less power.

Service Sign Co

Don't know what a WEP setting is Techman . Yes the router is next to a CPU . No I haven't changed anything. Haven't moved anything yet. Glad you are on top of it , but I have to gas up the 4wheelers & go play around with the Wife. This is the first weekend of decent weather in 3 months & we want to enjoy the sunset. I'm sure you understand. Thanks, Moody

Service Sign Co

Thanks Bogie & Techman, Who would think moving the router under the desk would fix it. Low signal stregenth but I don't need to run upstairs every 10 minutes just to check e-mails, :U Rock: