• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Never did this before..................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Customer came in yesterday and asked if I could use the perf on her back window area, but instead of covering the whole area, could we just cut all the white lettering out of perf.

Didnt have a chance to test or try anything, yet. Would cut out perf, like die-cut vinyl stay down ?? Can you even cut it out on that backer ??

:thankyou: Gino​

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Realistically it will probably fail even faster than regular perf does due to all the exposed edges. Shape cutting perf (even basic, big shapes) doesn't really go that well either.

Personally, I'd discourage the idea and either just go with regular cut vinyl or full perf.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We did some perf contour cut graphics on a few dealer showroom windows. They were fairly large and held up for the most part - a few months. I agree that it wouldn't be too durable on vehicle glass.

jc_0125

Creative Director
I contour cut perf into a circle for a customer's back window on a car a few years back. Went well overall. Haven't heard anything since so I presume its still holding up well

Why not print black dots on the vinyl? Same look but will last longer. If the client wants window perf just use laminate (optically clear)

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Why not print black dots on the vinyl? Same look but will last longer. If the client wants window perf just use laminate (optically clear)

I think they wand the visibility more than the look. Why would you print black dots on regular film just for the look? :confused::confused::confused:

Dan360

We've done it a couple times, had best success with cut contouring the perf, then laminating and cutting the lam offset from the perf .25" to act as your edge sealer.

Andy D

Gino, you print white right? I would print a square perf design on clear, black and then white & then laminate & cut.

Baz

I would recommend doing the whole window.
Print the black background and leave white letters.
Might even look cool if you can get close to the vehicle color instead of black.
Laminate with optically clear vinyl and seal the edges with strips of clear as well (if possible).

Malkin

I agree that all the edges would likely cause it to fail early.
If I HAD to do it, I would print/cut/apply the perf, and then cut the laminate (seperately) with a 3/16" +/- outline and apply over the letters to essentially seal them in. Not unlike using the 1/2" wide 3M edge seal tape laminate stuff along the edge of a normal perf job.

JetPress

We've contour cut on window perf couple times for our front door and never had an issue with it. It was on the door for years and was only replaced because we updated our information.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I should've mentioned the lettering is somewhat small and wispy.

And no, I don't print white.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, anything on a rear window is supposed to be perf or nothing at all. It's the law. Even side rear windows are subject to that. It was also too much money to do a complete cover. So, I told her I'd put it on, but if she gets stopped, the invoice says we made the decals, but she put them on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It supposed to be state-wide, but not a lotta places enforce it. It was a big deal years ago, when cops were coming up on vehicles they pulled over for whatever and the windows were clogged up with bullsh!t. Cops couldn't see in and were blasted away when coming up to the driver's window. However, they made it sound like when someone is backing up, if a kid on a tricycle or in a baby carriage walking by, regular vinyl might just block your vision at the wrong moment causing a death or near death experience.