• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Alienware computer... which processor?

Letterbox Mike

I did a search on this but didn't really see exactly what I was looking for. If it's out there already, sorry, please point me in the right direction.

I'm in the process of ordering a new Alienware computer, but I'm unsure of which processor to go with.

The rest of the specs are fairly straight forward, 4gb ram, WD Raptor 10k HDs in Raid 0, basic video card, Windows XP Pro. I'm not a gamer, this computer will just be a design station.

First, for Adobe design applications (no web or video, just print) am I better off with an AMD or Intel processor? I've heard intels are a bit more stable and have always had good luck with P4s, but now I've got the option of several different Core 2 Duos, or Core 2 Extreme quad Core, or dual-core AMD Athlons.

Is the quad-core overkill for what I want to do, or is it worth the extra money? I know it's probably a matter of personal oppinion, but for my application, am I better off with Intel or AMD, or does it even make a bit of difference?

I noticed with the AMD processors, the 6000+ has a clock speed of 3.0 ghz but a bus speed of 3000mhz, while the 6400+ is 3.2 ghz and the bus speed is lower than the 600+ at 2000mhz. I have no idea what the differences in bus speed means, is it significant? Will that make a difference or is it only something gamers would notice?

Also, Alienware offers standard cooling (which I assume is decent on their systems anyway) or liquid cooling. Is liquid necessary for my app or would it depend on the processor chosen? What about the power supply... 700W is standard, is it worth the money for 1000w, or is that overkill given I'll only have two small (160gb) drives and one small video card in there?

Any other suggestions? Am I not paying enough attention to the video card? I'll probably either end up buying a Dell 30" or 27" monitor if it makes a difference with the card.

Grr, I hate computers.

Techman

you will pay an extra premium for the name "alienware"

You can build your own box for less. Good luck..

gpzjack

I'm a dell hater...lol I have a dell laptop..i use it as a paperweight.

I hear bad stuff about alienware these days

bullcrew

q6600 quad its a 1033 fsb but multi tasks and will OC faster than a e6850.

BTW: My computer can beat up your computer! :D

bullcrew

I did a search on this but didn't really see exactly what I was looking for. If it's out there already, sorry, please point me in the right direction.

I'm in the process of ordering a new Alienware computer, but I'm unsure of which processor to go with.

The rest of the specs are fairly straight forward, 4gb ram, WD Raptor 10k HDs in Raid 0, basic video card, Windows XP Pro. I'm not a gamer, this computer will just be a design station.

First, for Adobe design applications (no web or video, just print) am I better off with an AMD or Intel processor? I've heard intels are a bit more stable and have always had good luck with P4s, but now I've got the option of several different Core 2 Duos, or Core 2 Extreme quad Core, or dual-core AMD Athlons.

Is the quad-core overkill for what I want to do, or is it worth the extra money? I know it's probably a matter of personal oppinion, but for my application, am I better off with Intel or AMD, or does it even make a bit of difference?

I noticed with the AMD processors, the 6000+ has a clock speed of 3.0 ghz but a bus speed of 3000mhz, while the 6400+ is 3.2 ghz and the bus speed is lower than the 600+ at 2000mhz. I have no idea what the differences in bus speed means, is it significant? Will that make a difference or is it only something gamers would notice?

Also, Alienware offers standard cooling (which I assume is decent on their systems anyway) or liquid cooling. Is liquid necessary for my app or would it depend on the processor chosen? What about the power supply... 700W is standard, is it worth the money for 1000w, or is that overkill given I'll only have two small (160gb) drives and one small video card in there?

Any other suggestions? Am I not paying enough attention to the video card? I'll probably either end up buying a Dell 30" or 27" monitor if it makes a difference with the card.

Grr, I hate computers.
1: you wont need liquid cooling unless your OC in it and by the sounds of it you wont. I run a coolit tec/liquid cooler on mine but my q6600 (intel) is on its way to 4ghz + and a prime 95 8 hour small ftt test so yeah I need extra.

2: Intels are kicking the cr@p out of amd and the penyren processer 45nm is on its way to put the nail in the coffin for AMD. I was AMD last year and now Intel all the way.

3: No you will not need a 1000w psu thats ridiculous, I run a PC P&C silencer 750 and thats more than I need. i can run dual 8800 ultras in sli easy as well as my cooling system and the cpu OC'd no problems.
(I have abt so its crossfire but i can run that OC'd as well).
I have room for more drives and OC'n big beast GPU's and more till I reach my dynamic threshold.

Have someone build you a computer if you want a smooth case get a zalmann and be done with it. Alienware makes great stuff but my little beast will run an alienware at a fraction of the cost.

DRPSignsNGrafix

with the prices of stuff today online you can build yourself for a lot cheaper. Get exactly what you want. Build it yourself. Price shop for the parts on line. If you don't feel safe building it your self, have a local shop build it. Better tech service.

Rod

Bought new chassis and power supply

Due to power and overheating issues, I recently bought a new chassis and power supply. Just this past weekend I transferred the motherboard, video card, etc. over to the new chassis. From the experience, my comment is that larger power supply (read: higher wattage) can have a lot of extra cabling that just takes up space, unless you are expecting a need.

In my situation, the chassis was an Antec P180, and an Antec TruePower Trio650 power supply (i.e., 650W). I'm happy to have the system up-and-running, and it appears to be working satisfactorily in terms of heat dissipation. But running the power supply cabling from the lower chamber of the chassis was a little tricky and involved several cable ties (included with chassis) to keep things organized.

If you're curious, here's product link for the chassis:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800

Cheers,

Rod

bullcrew

Due to power and overheating issues, I recently bought a new chassis and power supply. Just this past weekend I transferred the motherboard, video card, etc. over to the new chassis. From the experience, my comment is that larger power supply (read: higher wattage) can have a lot of extra cabling that just takes up space, unless you are expecting a need.

In my situation, the chassis was an Antec P180, and an Antec TruePower Trio650 power supply (i.e., 650W). I'm happy to have the system up-and-running, and it appears to be working satisfactorily in terms of heat dissipation. But running the power supply cabling from the lower chamber of the chassis was a little tricky and involved several cable ties (included with chassis) to keep things organized.

If you're curious, here's product link for the chassis:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800

Cheers,

Rod
Should have done a 182 with mobo tray its alot easier. I am looking into the 182's now or the 180 with the upgrade mobo tray as well as the tj-09 and o6 by silverstone.

Rod

Need to run cables far side of motherboard

bullcrew said:
Should have done a 182 with mobo tray its alot easier. I am looking into the 182's now or the 180 with the upgrade mobo tray as well as the tj-09 and o6 by silverstone.
I just watched the product video for the 182, and the case appears the same as the 180. The thing I overlooked was running the cables along far side of motherboard. Silly me, I simply ran cables through the sliding panel that separates the comparments. When I have a chance, I'll go back and reorganize the cables.

Oh, and I actually bought the 180 casing because I preferred the silver.

Thanks,

Rod

bullcrew

I just watched the product video for the 182, and the case appears the same as the 180. The thing I overlooked was running the cables along far side of motherboard. Silly me, I simply ran cables through the sliding panel that separates the comparments. When I have a chance, I'll go back and reorganize the cables.

Oh, and I actually bought the 180 casing because I preferred the silver.

Thanks,

Rod
Oh, then you should have bought a silverston or lian li!
I dont much care for the gunmetal grey I actually prefer the black case.