• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In New Coloured Screws For Signage

Barker03

Hey everyone I found some cheap Coloured Screws Online. We used to use Signgears however these are the exact same but cheaper and also work with masonary plugs (not sure if Signgears did). They offer different size packs 25s 50s 100s, they also offer a Starter Pack which I purchased first which was 20 of each colour and a Magnetic Screw Sleeve which helps hold the screw when they go in. They are Self Drilling, Self Tapping, Rust Proof and I believe they have 13 different colours which are RAL coded.

If you're interested, I found these on www.colouredscrews.co.uk. They've got a decent selection, and the prices seem reasonable to me. Of course, you can always hunt around for other options too, but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up on these. :)

All RAL Coloured Screws.jpg

CanuckSigns

Thanks for the heads up, any idea of anyone makes anything similar but with a Robertson head? I can't imagine trying to use a self drilling screw into metal with a Phillips head would be fun, I would end up with a circle of holes around the screw from where the bit slipped off and poked through the sign face lol.

Barker03

I had the same worry however surprisingly they hold fairly well. I believe they also sell a magnetic screw sleeve/holder which grips the screw stopping it from slipping out.
IMG_7462.png
I think the green bit Wraps around the head stopping it from slipping off.

JBurton

Signtologist
Great screws, but all the sign suppliers around me sell these for pennies. I can get 1,000 for $80 USD, delivered. They are fantastic, paint holds up as well as sheet material and matches most standard brands. I'd opt to pre drill rather than using a magnetic holder (magnetized tip is always worth it's wait in gold thought)
anything similar but with a Robertson head? I can't imagine trying to use a self drilling screw into metal with a Phillips head would be fun
Ya frigging canucks and your robertson heads! These are the only thing I've seen holding trim cap on channel letters, it helps to pre drill the holes (before you ask, 'why predrill a self drilling screw', because sign suppliers only sell the self drilling screws in pre-painted colors, idk, cause they're jerks). And you're right, it's not fun, one out of 20 gets ya.

Sky Bryan

I like LED's and wraps.
Now I use robertson or better (like hex head or torx) as a seasoned installer I've learned that whatever goes up must come down. Many times I have been the one removing or servicing old signs with rusty and corroded fasteners or stripped phillips heads.

ikarasu

Robertson is the best. You cheap Americans don't want to pay the royalties to use it .. :p

I hate Philips. It always strips, doesn't hold the bit as good so it cams out.... I try to only use Robertson's or torx, but it seems like torx isn't used for most things... so I'm stuck with Robertson's... or in rare cases the dreaded Philips.

We usually paint our own screws when it matters.... I guess these would be handy for when it "doesn't matter" since it's still look better - but we usually just drop into Sherwin Williams and get a pint matched to the color of the vinyl, it's always a near perfect match - and costs like $15.... tiny paintbrush and paint it after it's screwed in, and you won't see any screws unless your a few inches away.

JBurton

Signtologist
We usually paint our own screws when it matters.... I guess these would be handy for when it "doesn't matter" since it's still look better
You guys don't use any prepainted aluminum? These are basically the same as wrisco brand colors that most folks stock around here.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
At least it's not a flathead tek screw.
If you're having issues with heads stripping, you should be using a drill driver with all self drilling and self tappers, not those stupid little impact drivers. They are ok for removing old screws but for putting new ones in sheetmetal use a drill. The impacts tend to over drive, strip, weaken the heads, screw up the finish etc. I also agree with burton on pre-drilling for coated fasteners, an 1/8" bit works good for this.

ikarasu

You guys don't use any prepainted aluminum? These are basically the same as wrisco brand colors that most folks stock around here.
The only pre-painted we use is White. 99% of what we do is full graphics applied to aluminum, So silver edges dont matter. We use white when we're screen printing directly to the metal, but thats about the only pre-painted we use - And the customer supplies their own screws for those.

Anything else is usually custom color... in which case it gets Mathews painted, or powder coated. I can count the times we had to paint screws in the past 3 years on 1 hand though... It doesn't happen a lot!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Well, I didn't even know these painted screws, besides white, even existed! I've been painting my own for years LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm still gonna paint them here in the shop. As for which driver end...... I have them all on board and for those tough ones I have vice grips and for the even harder ones, an angle grinder.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I have all my own tools kept where no one can get at them. In that collection, I have everything. Basically, it's about duplicated in the bucket truck, but mine are cleaner and not stripped or hogged up. Mine own tools consist of about 4 major boxes, unless I know I'm gonna need some others.

unclebun

Robertson screws are square head, right? I hate those. They build trailers with them and they always strip out, even on a brand new trailer.

The screws the OP pictured are just self-drilling lath screws, with the head painted. We prefer the point tip lath screws, and paint them ourselves. Perfect for 3mm ACM.

JBurton

Signtologist
I have vice grips and for the even harder ones, an angle grinder.

No speedout? Every once in a while you can't get an angle grinder that close to the product.
they always strip out,
Try not using an impact to remove them, and seat the heads, don't just run and gun. Of course it's all for not if it's been impacted together by the clowns at Interstate Trailers...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No speedout? Every once in a while you can't get an angle grinder that close to the product.

Never had luck with 'em (speedouts) at that small size. I have/had a set and used it a few times with very little success.

Just had one last week. Taking the screws outta the one end of the retainer. One got so frickin' hard, I took the cutoff wheel and took it right off. Ever so slightly touched the cabinet. When I buttoned it up, just took a lacquer pen and painted it the same color. Ya can't tell a thing.

JBurton

Signtologist
Ya know, now that I think about it, I think I have an ez out set.
They're great but your right on size. These little button heads aren't going to work great. It's nearly the only option once someone has spun the head off though. That or if it's the last screw, rotate the whole panel to 'unthread' the sign... I have mixed results with that, especially when it's 2'x10' and only 3' off the ground...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Try not using an impact to remove them, and seat the heads, don't just run and gun. Of course it's all for not if it's been impacted together by the clowns at Interstate Trailers...
Another trick is to tighten it a hair first, just a little bump of the driver and then reverse.