• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New computer Edge/Plotter questions

Chuck Peterson

Hi,
I posted this on 4Edge talk and it was suggested I post here also.

I have a five year old Dell Optiplex 330 desktop computer running my Edge 1 and a Gerber 4B vinyl cutter. The computer has been having blue screen crashing problems lately and I'm tired of getting it fixed, so its time for a new one. I recall having to have a parallel port, I think, installed on this computer to run the Edge. Another non-USB port,
serial, I think, connects the cutter. I'm running Omega 2.61 with Windows Vista. I will upgrade to The latest Omega version 5 since Tony already answered I would need to. I don't know yet what OS the new computer will have. I don't really want to buy a new Edge and cutter since I'm not doing a whole lot of this type of work lately, but am open to it if it would end up making more sense.

My questions:
Do I need USB converter cables for both the Edge and the vinyl cutter?
How do I get drivers?
Any suggestions on what computer to buy?
Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks for any input.

beckys

I had to get a window7 34 bit, but downgraded to an XP in order for my 4b to work.
Tried many various cable Gerber recommended but none worked.
I have Omega 4, scared to try 5...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I feel like I post this at least weekly in threads where someone bought some new home user computer and is having problems getting their serial and/or parallel devices to work right on USB adapters. My advice, do NOT get some pc intended, designed, and created for HOME users.

Get a business class PC. Many true business class PC's like Dell Optiplex and Precision still come with real parallel and serial ports. Real on board ports just work, USB converters and many add on cards to add ports use software emulation to try and convert the signals and require more often than not flaky drivers to sit in the middle of things.

You will not regret going with an Optiplex, or some other business class machine. You can find great deals on then at Dell Outlet and DFS Direct (dell financial services). The Optiplexes are not going to be rocket ship design workstations but they will work great. I recently updated ours that drives an Edge LE with an Optiplex SFF 755. Installed Windows 7 x64, Flexisign Pro, connected the Edge using some old HP branded parallel cable we had laying around. Guess what? It worked immediately with zero issues, no fuss, nothing. It just works. Just be sure whatever brand/model you go with is a business class machine and that it has parallel and serial ports.

beckys

Mine is a Dell Optiplex..
4b didnt work.
On phone for 3 months with Tony D @Gerber.
just telling my issues...

OldPaint

chuck many place build computers to your specs. i really have never seen the need for a "dell", "gateway", hp or compac. THESE ARE OFF THE SHELF computers as far as iam concerned. great for hospital, banks, ect where many computers are. NEW EGG, sells computer built to what ever you want. the parallel port has become an issue for anyone with older equipment. BUT IF YOU KNOW YOU NEED 1 or 2 OF THEM in a new computer, ordering a custom built from somewhere like newegg..........YOU CAN HAVE PARALLEL PORT. all they have done, with most new M/B is remove the one out the back. the pin connection IS STILL ON THE M/B. ONLY IF YOU TELL THE BUILDER you need to have an active parallel port, they can add 1 or 2 for you. i wouldnt go above XP for an operating system. ask youself the question.....WHAT DOES WINDOWS 7 do better for you, then XP? and most of it is not usefull to your existing programs. heres what you will need, just make sure the new m/b has a connection for this. PCI TO PARALLEL:
http://www.newegg.com/Add-On-Cards/SubCategory/ID-73

Chuck Peterson

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably see if I can still get the Optiplex with the ports like I did 5 years ago. If not, maybe I'll have one built. You folks are helpful. I'm clueless.

Chuck Peterson

Moving along here.... I just talked to Dell. They can build an Optiplex computer for me with Window 7 that will run in XP mode. Will that allow my Gerber 4B to work? And they can build one with either a serial or parallel port, whichever I chose. The other I would have to add on.

Am I on the right track?

I guess my simpler question at the beginning should have been:
Is anyone running an Edge 1 and 4B on a new computer, and how?

Thanks.

OldPaint

you gota have a dell? plenty other computer builders out there.....if you got do a WINDOWS 7..........STICK WITH A 32BIT INSTALL!!!!!

Chuck Peterson

It doesn't have to be a Dell, but I've been happy with the last 3 and don't feel like spending time to check out others unless Dell can't provide what I need.
I may end up getting newer printer and cutter if this proves to be too much hassle. I don't want to buy a computer I think will work and then still be stuck.
If someone has been through the same thing I sure would like to hear from them.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The one I recently used to replace ours to drive our Edge LE is an OptiPlex 780. I had both onboard (not add on) serial and parallel ports.

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com

They do not list the 780 SFF (small form factor) specifically but choose desktops, then Optiplex, then in the options select SFF, then Windows 7 and you will see them come up.

Granted they do not come with big hard drives or 64 bit Windows but just to drive and Edge and a plotter they are really fine for that. I honestly do not know if the other models specifically have both of the legacy ports on board but I do know 100% that the 780 SFF does.

OldPaint

i have built every computer since i bought a 386DX40, IN 1992)))) it was built for me. i have only owned 3 name brand computers, and 2 of those were laptops, the other is an EMACHINE for the wife which i bought at OFFICE DEPOT on sale for $250, without a monitor. the most i have ever paid for a custom computer, to fit what i do, has never been more then $400. i built this one, 2.8 gig, quad core, 4 gig ram ddr3, with 2 LPT PORTS, 6 USB, 6 SATA. i have 3 hard drives i run as main drives, and 2 external backups. i run a ENCAD 736, HP K850, ROLAND CX-300, A CANON PIXMA 4000. and i also have an A/B PARALLEL SWITCH so i can run 2 PARALLEL machines off 1 port.

Billct2

I'm not a computer expert so I couldn't answer any tech questions but I run my Edge and a SuperSprint plotter on a Dell Optiplex 780 Windows 7 w/ XP redundancy. I'm also thinking it's a 32bit.

Chuck Peterson

Thanks for all the answers. One more thing, if anyone knows: Will my Illustrator and Photoshop CS3 work on windows 7? I guess it will be XP actually. I know I'm outdated but it seems to get the work done so far.