• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new customer logo

signswi

perhaps you missed the customers requests of "clean, simple, and clinical"
also, the visual hierarchy of text is as the customer has requested with Spine & Disc being the most prominent. The box surrounding the text, I feel, ties the smaller text in with the rest of the logo making it feel more unified. the tic-tac-toe you reference is a 3X3 grid meant to represent the 33 human vertebrae. As always, I appreciate everyones input, but constructive criticism is much better received than strings of negative adjectives with no suggestions. :toasting:

What I think he's saying is that the negative space isn't balanced well in relation to the type. I'd also go with some variance in the face choices and the kerning needs a lot of work. Helvetica is fine it's just not very inspired and you haven't really pushed or balanced it effectively.

ucmj22

What I think he's saying is that the negative space isn't balanced well in relation to the type. I'd also go with some variance in the face choices and the kerning needs a lot of work. Helvetica is fine it's just not very inspired and you haven't really pushed or balanced it effectively.

Thank you for giving me an idea to work towards as far as kerning and space adjustment. as for the boringness of helvetica, I have an Erik Spiekermann school of thought as far as type and design wich I understand does not mesh well with "Signs" but that is just my perspective.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
perhaps you missed the customers requests of "clean, simple, and clinical"
also, the visual hierarchy of text is as the customer has requested with Spine & Disc being the most prominent. The box surrounding the text, I feel, ties the smaller text in with the rest of the logo making it feel more unified. the tic-tac-toe you reference is a 3X3 grid meant to represent the 33 human vertebrae. As always, I appreciate everyones input, but constructive criticism is much better received than strings of negative adjectives with no suggestions. :toasting:

There are many ways to set this up to be "clean, simple, and clinical" without making it look like a No Parking sign. The box, interrupted as it is, is a distraction and an eyesore. The 3x3 turning into 33, even if anyone on the planet besides some other chiropractic shaman might know that, is an exercise in the obscure.

This is a public forum, when it's your turn to post you get to post whatever you want. When it's my turn to post I get to post whatever it pleases me to post. You asked for opinions, I gave you some. No one is under any obligation whatsoever to make any suggestions. The fact remains that this is a piss poor design and it's up to you to figure out how to do something even marginally acceptable. Which this is not.

ucmj22

There are many ways to set this up to be "clean, simple, and clinical" without making it look like a No Parking sign. The box, interrupted as it is, is a distraction and an eyesore. The 3x3 turning into 33, even if anyone on the planet besides some other chiropractic shaman might know that, is an exercise in the obscure.

This is a public forum, when it's your turn to post you get to post whatever you want. When it's my turn to post I get to post whatever it pleases me to post. You asked for opinions, I gave you some. No one is under any obligation whatsoever to make any suggestions. The fact remains that this is a piss poor design and it's up to you to figure out how to do something even marginally acceptable. Which this is not.

You're right, you can be a pompous #$$ all you want, and I cant stop you. the fact of the matter is that your posts hold no weight as suggestions, or constructive critiques, and I will disregard them as such.

ucmj22

Used the three box idea

I like it. Having talked to the customer at length about the style he is looking for I dont think he would go for it though. I might try incorporating something that looks a little more like vertebrae just so my blocks aren't so abstract.

10sacer

Spine logo

My two cents...

Attachments

• MVSD.jpg
    MVSD.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 97

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You're right, you can be a pompous #$$ all you want, and I cant stop you. the fact of the matter is that your posts hold no weight as suggestions, or constructive critiques, and I will disregard them as such.

One might suppose that in your village 'constructive criticism' is something at at once confirms what a wonderful thing you've manage to produce and makes gentle suggestions at to just what might make it even more marvelous. That's the typical mindset of 'constructive criticism' whiners. Perhaps it's something they learned while attending Pollyanna U.

Here's a newsflash sport: All criticism is constructive. Calling a turn a turd is every bit as constructive, even more so in this case, as taking you by your little hand and trying to improve your turd. It's a turd, it's unsalvageable, flush it and try again.

If, as I suspect from your mindless defense of the indefensible, it's the best you can do then perhaps you might give serious thought to seeking other employment not so taxing of your meager abilities..

ucmj22

One might suppose that in your village 'constructive criticism' is something at at once confirms what a wonderful thing you've manage to produce and makes gentle suggestions at to just what might make it even more marvelous. That's the typical mindset of 'constructive criticism' whiners. Perhaps it's something they learned while attending Pollyanna U.

Here's a newsflash sport: All criticism is constructive. Calling a turn a turd is every bit as constructive, even more so in this case, as taking you by your little hand and trying to improve your turd. It's a turd, it's unsalvageable, flush it and try again.

If, as I suspect from your mindless defense of the indefensible, it's the best you can do then perhaps you might give serious thought to seeking other employment not so taxing of your meager abilities..

With your utter lack of any design credibility im sure you would prefer a nice flashy sign design with 4 fonts that you discovered on the internet last week to make up for your lack of design prowess and colors that will make your backside pucker. as soon as you can explain how a series of lines surrounding and joining elements of a design serve to disjoin them i'd like to hear it, until then, call up your local community college, and take a beginners design class, or read Dan Antonelli's books. :peace!:

inthesignbiz

All of the square edges, crooked squares, and pointed fonts make my spine hurt.

Rounded edges (to me) are more soothing.

Attachments

• mvs.jpg
    mvs.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 131

Custom_Grafx

This is the direction I took based on the brief.

To give your OCD client and his associates something to count and play with while on the phone to a whinging client complaining about him breaking their back etc, the total number of discs is 33.

Attachments

• spine disc.jpg
    spine disc.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 105

ProWraps

bob you sure are an asshole. but i truely do enjoy reading you beat the sh*t out of people.

this logo is exactly what you called it. a fat turd.

Last edited:

Tim Kingston

My first thought was to use circles instead of squares, perhaps a single row. My second thought is to hunt down an interesting ampersand to use as a single special character, perhaps placing emphasis on an internal "S' curve. Since you seem to like typography so much ( which is good thing ), play more with that:

http://ampersand.gosedesign.net/herb-lubalins-mother-child-logo/

Also, I think a civil critique will carry a lot more weight than a somewhat rude one. However, it works both ways and cooler heads usually prevail. Just an opinion. Tim