• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Generation Epsons

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've been meaning to document the procedure for our records but haven't got around to it yet.
I'll try find some time this week and at least get some screenshots of the important parts for you.

BVG

How bad is the orange and red fading on the 80600? We're looking at one for the expanded gamut. Most of what we produce is only outdoors for 1-3 years, so not sure how bad any possible fading will effect us.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
How often do you guys change your waste bottle? From the guys I talk with, they change out that bottle 1-2 times a month, that adds up quickly. That waste equates to $90 – $180 of wasted ink per month, in all cases this is over $1,000 of waste ink per year. Ink colors outside of CMYK are not warranted by 3M under the MCS Warranty (this affects the S80 only)

CanuckSigns

How often do you guys change your waste bottle? From the guys I talk with, they change out that bottle 1-2 times a month, that adds up quickly. That waste equates to $90 – $180 of wasted ink per month, in all cases this is over $1,000 of waste ink per year. Ink colors outside of CMYK are not warranted by 3M under the MCS Warranty (this affects the S80 only)
we have had our s80 for 11 months, only emptied it once

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
How bad is the orange and red fading on the 80600? We're looking at one for the expanded gamut. Most of what we produce is only outdoors for 1-3 years, so not sure how bad any possible fading will effect us.

We have a job using primarily Orange ink which will have been outdoors for 12 months in September. It still looks the same as when we printed it. Will try keep an eye out for as long as possible but this client scraps signage every 12 months for something new.

• Agree
Reactions: BVG

Nickprints

Just Purchased the s60600 model it is an incredible machine for the money, running at 720x720 6 pass for the most part. machine does have a some problem printing light blues at this DPI and Pass rate but prints magnificent at higher pass higher dpi

a77

Hi Nick, by "some problem" do you mean banding?

Just Purchased the s60600 model it is an incredible machine for the money, running at 720x720 6 pass for the most part. machine does have a some problem printing light blues at this DPI and Pass rate but prints magnificent at higher pass higher dpi

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I really wanted to go with one of these. I was between the Epson, Mutoh, and Mimaki at SGIA in New Orleans. Ended up going back to Mimaki which was frustrating to an extent. At the show Mimaki who had the largest booth did not even bother to bring their current solvent printers. They were all about showing off their flatbeds, that new UV printer, and their new laminator. I had to go see the JV150 and JV300 machines at suppliers booths.

The Mutoh was just too much money for essentially the same quality. Great machines though. The Epson turned me off on the longevity of the red and orange inks, one of the key things I was most interested in, a truly expanded gamut. But we do mostly things for outdoor. The other one that bugged me on the Epson was I started asking about consumable and replacing certain things like the cap top rubber. The guy said you cannot buy that $5 part, you have to buy an entire new capping station. That is the only option. I said what if you get a minor head strike and it drags a little piece of crud across the top and nicks it? I then also need to spend $200 on a whole new capping station? He first said that a head strike is simply impossible and that something nicking the capping top rubber is impossible which irritated me a bit. Then someone who was not an idiot salesman who actually knows nothing about running a machine did admit that sure, it could happen and that yes you cannot buy just a cap top. Of course a head strike should be rare, very very very rare on any machine if you properly take care to make sure things are right. Ultimately I did like the Epson machine though but the price was higher and I also do not like how they deal with their print heads for other machines with the intentional locking them down, etc.

I ended up in the end buying two new Mimaki JV150 machines. The deal I got literally ended up being almost half the price of the others. On the plus side, after having run Mimaki's for so many years already they were immediately the familiar workhorses I've come to know. I really did want that expanded gamut on the Epson but if its not going to last and on top of other things I had to make the best decision for our business. I will say though, the prints off that Epson running the expanded ink colors was just stunning! If we were doing a lot more indoor work, I'd had to really revisit that and probably go for one.