• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question New JV100-160

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Good day,
We have been the user of this UJV100-160 printer for almost a year.
Firmware 5.2 (the dealer himself sends us the firmware, the firmware from the Mimaki website does not get up), USB connection.
Everything is fine, but there are problems:
1. Magenta (stops printing), we are told "ink defect", they clean the channel and replace the ink. They put a filter, it doesn't help. We are waiting for the next stop, it's good that not often, for the whole time, this happened twice.
2. The ink cans are not easily removable, the mechanism is plastic, we are afraid to break it. Now, to put a new can, lubricate the rubber rings with silicone. We consider the system with banks to be unsuccessful.

PS: RIP RasterLink is a separate topic, but you get used to everything and adapt to everything.
Just yesterday, the dealer sent a letter recalling Magenta ink, leaving only ink with a serial number that starts with 65XXXXXXXX.

We haven't seen any ink issues here in America. That might be a regional thing specific to you. I agree with the plastic bottle holder feeling breakable. I haven't had one go on a customer's machine yet but they also haven't been out super long. It's the same holder they use on the JFX200 and I've never seen one of those break either.

tbullo

Superunknown
Here is the story so far on my new jv100. First 1 came in about 2 weeks time and was damaged in shipping. Second 1 was here about 3 weeks after that 1. Tech set it up and was running fine. One morning came in to error 528 on the screen. Did what the book says to do, which is turn main power off and wait awhile. The printer boots back up no problem and used it the rest of the week. Next week same thing. So I'm thinking this must just be a Mimaki thing, cut the power turn it on all's fine. 3rd time I call the tech and tell the story and he pays me a visit a few days later. Meanwhile this is becoming a daily thing. Tech gets here and sure enough it throws the error and calls were made. Turns out maybe the maintenance fluid wasn't primed so the tech pulls the fluid through and after that the error stopped popping up. And he updated firmware to 3.5.0. So we use it for a couple days and the error pops up again. Cut power and turn on and it works the rest of the day. Call the tech and he says that he will order a new pump. Problem now is that it will not finish the boot up after cutting the power and waiting awhile. So, hopefully this new pump will get me back running. When the machine works, it print very nice. This is my first printer that wasn't a SEIKO product( hp8000, colorpainter w-64) and it's making me miss them.

Side note, my tech has only installed 2 of these printer so far. He told me both have had issues. The other 1 has has a wiper motor that has locked up and he says it on back order for several weeks. YIKES

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Here is the story so far on my new jv100. First 1 came in about 2 weeks time and was damaged in shipping. Second 1 was here about 3 weeks after that 1. Tech set it up and was running fine. One morning came in to error 528 on the screen. Did what the book says to do, which is turn main power off and wait awhile. The printer boots back up no problem and used it the rest of the week. Next week same thing. So I'm thinking this must just be a Mimaki thing, cut the power turn it on all's fine. 3rd time I call the tech and tell the story and he pays me a visit a few days later. Meanwhile this is becoming a daily thing. Tech gets here and sure enough it throws the error and calls were made. Turns out maybe the maintenance fluid wasn't primed so the tech pulls the fluid through and after that the error stopped popping up. And he updated firmware to 3.5.0. So we use it for a couple days and the error pops up again. Cut power and turn on and it works the rest of the day. Call the tech and he says that he will order a new pump. Problem now is that it will not finish the boot up after cutting the power and waiting awhile. So, hopefully this new pump will get me back running. When the machine works, it print very nice. This is my first printer that wasn't a SEIKO product( hp8000, colorpainter w-64) and it's making me miss them.

Side note, my tech has only installed 2 of these printer so far. He told me both have had issues. The other 1 has has a wiper motor that has locked up and he says it on back order for several weeks. YIKES

Good info. We had a few hiccups with our first few installs as well but once they were figured out, it's been smooth sailing. Sounds like Mimaki jumped the gun just a little bit and hadn't worked out all the bugs. It's pretty rare for them as older models worked well on day one. I chalk it up to, new printer, new problems. It happens.

tbullo

Superunknown
Printer update. New pump came in and the tech came by to install yesterday. Up and running, so far no errors.

Headstrike

Mimaki Wide Format Printer Services
Good day,
We have been the user of this UJV100-160 printer for almost a year.
Firmware 5.2 (the dealer himself sends us the firmware, the firmware from the Mimaki website does not get up), USB connection.
Everything is fine, but there are problems:
1. Magenta (stops printing), we are told "ink defect", they clean the channel and replace the ink. They put a filter, it doesn't help. We are waiting for the next stop, it's good that not often, for the whole time, this happened twice.
2. The ink cans are not easily removable, the mechanism is plastic, we are afraid to break it. Now, to put a new can, lubricate the rubber rings with silicone. We consider the system with banks to be unsuccessful.

PS: RIP RasterLink is a separate topic, but you get used to everything and adapt to everything.
Just yesterday, the dealer sent a letter recalling Magenta ink, leaving only ink with a serial number that starts with 65XXXXXXXX.
The ink bottle mechanism is stiff because it's new. It shouldn't easily break (I forced it very very hard, never broke one).
However there is a trick to fix it:
Wipe the inside of the top part of the tank (where the bottle cap will seat) with a swab dipped in cleaning solution.
Then try.

SLord

The ink bottle mechanism is stiff because it's new. It shouldn't easily break (I forced it very very hard, never broke one).
However there is a trick to fix it:
Wipe the inside of the top part of the tank (where the bottle cap will seat) with a swab dipped in cleaning solution.
Then try.
The cleaning solution has been tried, it dries up over time, especially on cans of white paint. They began to use a silicone solution.

gabagoo

If your running Flexi with this printer there is only 1 profile available from SAI at the current time.

gabagoo

Question about the cartridges on this new machine. Last week turned the printer on and it keeps showing an illustration of an ink cartridge in the info screen and you can't do anything until this problem is addressed. It seems like it wants the ink changed yet there is easily at least a third to half the ink still in the cartridge. The only way I could get the machine to work was to pull the cartridge out and leave it out. It is not my machine but a friend in the business so I am not to familiar with this new form of having to replace the bags of ink as to just buying a new cartridge...any ideas why the printer thinks the cartridge is empty?

Headstrike

Mimaki Wide Format Printer Services
Do you use 600ml cartridges? You most likely need to weigh them and re-enter the correct weight into the machine (I believe it's under machine setup).
If you don't do this the printer doesn't really know how much ink is left in it and it's just doing its best too guess.
Keep in mind that you don't want to run the cartridges completely dry (and a little bit of ink is always leftover) because it would start sucking air into the ink lines.

APCInk

Merchant Member
Question about the cartridges on this new machine. Last week turned the printer on and it keeps showing an illustration of an ink cartridge in the info screen and you can't do anything until this problem is addressed. It seems like it wants the ink changed yet there is easily at least a third to half the ink still in the cartridge. The only way I could get the machine to work was to pull the cartridge out and leave it out. It is not my machine but a friend in the business so I am not to familiar with this new form of having to replace the bags of ink as to just buying a new cartridge...any ideas why the printer thinks the cartridge is empty?
Yes was going to say same thing that you probably have to weigh carts and enter weights.

gabagoo

Do you use 600ml cartridges? You most likely need to weigh them and re-enter the correct weight into the machine (I believe it's under machine setup).
If you don't do this the printer doesn't really know how much ink is left in it and it's just doing its best too guess.
Keep in mind that you don't want to run the cartridges completely dry (and a little bit of ink is always leftover) because it would start sucking air into the ink lines.
Why did Mimaki decide to do this? If it were me, I never would have bought the printer based on having to weigh the ink.. whats wrong with cartridges? I don't get it

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Why did Mimaki decide to do this? If it were me, I never would have bought the printer based on having to weigh the ink.. whats wrong with cartridges? I don't get it

I agree 100%. As soon as I saw this ink system I thought, wow, this is a step backwards. I can't be 100% on this but my theory is that they no longer use Epson heads in these machines, which means they can't use Epson's ink delivery system. You may have noticed that all Mimaki, Roland, and Mutoh printers that use Epson heads use the exact same ink delivery system other than the smart cards/chips. That system had a sensor that could detect a near empty and empty cartridge so you wouldn't need to weigh them. My guess is Epson's system is protected in some way like with a patent or something similar and Mimaki had to come up with their own design. Weighing the cartridges is a very cheap, all be it inconvenient, way of fixing that problem. But that's just my conspiracy theory at the moment.

tbullo

Superunknown
Here's a new one for today. Printer is on. Went to do a nozzle test and the head moves out to print the pattern, printer beeps, head returns no pattern was printed and error 128 is on the screen. Power off the printer and turn it back on and now its clear and working as normal. Should I worry about that error?
Just keeping a running post of the little things I run into for future help.

dudeinthemoon

Here's a new one for today. Printer is on. Went to do a nozzle test and the head moves out to print the pattern, printer beeps, head returns no pattern was printed and error 128 is on the screen. Power off the printer and turn it back on and now its clear and working as normal. Should I worry about that error?
Just keeping a running post of the little things I run into for future help.
This error means bad communication between carriage and main board, this error will appear much often in future. Ask your tech guy to replace communication cable its a weak spot on them