• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Kid on the Block

SignSage

Greetings from Boise, Idaho! I am new to this forum and new to signmaking. I am currently selling on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/signsage while I learn and prepare for phase II of my business. I have the cheapest 24" vinyl cutter available, but it works for now. I use LXI software, but I use illustrator for my artwork and lettering. My background is diverse. I currently work for a closet company operating their cabinetry software. Prior to that I worked for http://www.cafepress.com as their only technician/inventor for two years. I saw a lot of cutting edge technology come through there! While I was there, I worked with the Graphtec 4200 quite a bit, although we only used it to cut out preprinted material like bumper stickers. Anyway, looking forward to learning from the pros here on signs101!

-John
SignSage

Geary

Hey

Welcome from Hanford. I'm new to the board as well. Been around hundred years though in the biz. :rolleyes:

Nice stickers!

:wink:

~gear

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I couldn't shake off the feeling that you got somewhat of a stilted welcome here compared to most - usually. Anyway, here goes-

First impression of your post to me was the name "sign SAGE"? You are new by your own admission, & the highly knowledgable implication of "sage" made me wonder. Probably others as well I'd guess.

Second, I guess nobody wanted to get into the fierce area of "cheap Ebay" signs that get railed on in here, and flea market pricing hurting the industry overall. It has been hotly debated often in here.

I'm not raising these as issues with you - you came off very straightforward and enthusiastic! I just wanted ya to know that more than a few of us were likely biting our tongues on your behalf.

Anyhow, with that outa the way, WELCOME TO the board!

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. There are many ways to make it in this business. There are alot of "closet" eBay sells that don't admit it. Nothing wrong with decals on eBay or anywhere else as long as they are made well and you get paid resonable for your effort. We have "Speed Shops" and decal storefronts, mostly related to cars and racing around here that sell decals.... but not custom. You can get a perferated window graphics at the Farm Store auto parts department for $40.00......not custom. Welcome and I thought SignSage is for Sage Brush????

SignSage

Jackpine,

I've played around with different pricing on ebay and found something that works. I am open to constructive criticism on my pricing for sure, but I don't think I would sell very many of my $12.99 custom decals if I charged $40 for them. Ebay isn't all that great anyway, but it's a place to cut your teeth.

Thanks for the welcome!

Arlo,

While I am new to the sign industry, I have a lot of experience in design work using photoshop and illustrator. I have experience in web design and web development. I also have experience with large format printing and on-demand printing. I am an expert in dye sublimation and have developed a patent-pending image transfer process owned by cafepress.com. I can repair almost anything, with or without a manual. My point is, while I am new at the sign industry, I have a wealth of experience and knowledge that qualifies the "sage" in my name. I also live in the high desert, so it has a dual meaning to me.

I hope my skillset can benefit the forum, and I hope to learn a lot more about the industry here.

John

Arlo Kalon 2.0

SignSage said:
Arlo,

I hope my skillset can benefit the forum, and I hope to learn a lot more about the industry here.

John

I'm just glad my earlier post got ya a few more "welcomes" & some recognition!

Jackpine

SignSage .... your prices on eBay are very reasonable. I have made thousands on eBay selling digital prints. The thing about eBay if you find a nich you can sell 100's of one item. I sold a heavy metal printed decal and made over $3,000 on that at $10 bucks each. The decal was 3.5"w x 6" h. The Farm Store window print is 1/3 of what it should sell for.My comments are positive not negitive. Your decals are nice and a good price! Welcome again.