• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions New Laminator Suggestions 55"+

Goatshaver

It's going to be time for a new laminator. Had a tech come in a check out the rollers on my laminator and found they are warped, but in a way I wouldn't have expected. The center is tight and the outer edges are the spots with lower pressure. Anyways...it's not worth buying a set of rollers @ $2k a piece.

I mainly do decals, labels, stickers...nothing really large like walls or vehicles, but that would be in the future possibly.

Are there advantages to heated rollers for the laminate or not?
I've been looking at GFP 255C or 355TH or the similar model to what I have now which is the Royal Sovereign 1400C.

There must be some benefits I might not know about and hope someone here can guide me a little.

Saturn

Aging Member
That's the way a lot are made, I don't think it's warped. It's a "crowned" roller. That's how my smaller RS is and it works great. Is yours particularly worn or old?

For what you're doing, and the printer you have, I would skip heated rollers, as there would be little to no benefit and would only add another variable into the mix.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah some manufacturers specifically advertise their rollers being like that and it is better. It should not be flat or low pressure in the middle.

JulieS

I also have always heard that the rollers are supposed to be "crowned" in the middle. Might get a second opinion on the "warping"?

Goatshaver

That's the way a lot are made, I don't think it's warped. It's a "crowned" roller. That's how my smaller RS is and it works great. Is yours particularly worn or old?

For what you're doing, and the printer you have, I would skip heated rollers, as there would be little to no benefit and would only add another variable into the mix.

The laminate will sometimes get waves when it's coming off the roll, and I'm thinking some of my cutting issues are because of this. I've noticed the cuts aren't cut as deep on the outer edges.

Something I didn't know....I do know that one side was higher than the other but the tech measured the pressure and got them as close as possible to be even all the way across. And even if you look at the roller adjustments it says to have even pressure all the way across.

I'll say that I don't have any techs anywhere near me that can help. The guy that came was from Bell & Howell to service it and he said they only really do installs.

Attachments

• PXL_20201130_191435218.jpg
    PXL_20201130_191435218.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If it gets a little wave like that put your hand on the roll of laminate for a little tension and it will usually go away. Make sure you are loading it straight too. I doubt it's the laminator, we have one that is way out of wack and it'll still do the job as long as your tensions are right and you load it straight.

netsol

It's going to be time for a new laminator. Had a tech come in a check out the rollers on my laminator and found they are warped, but in a way I wouldn't have expected. The center is tight and the outer edges are the spots with lower pressure. Anyways...it's not worth buying a set of rollers @ $2k a piece.

I mainly do decals, labels, stickers...nothing really large like walls or vehicles, but that would be in the future possibly.

Are there advantages to heated rollers for the laminate or not?
I've been looking at GFP 255C or 355TH or the similar model to what I have now which is the Royal Sovereign 1400C.

There must be some benefits I might not know about and hope someone here can guide me a little.

we have a RS1650C and we love it

have you considered

contact a local machine shop about taking a new thousandth's off to true the rollers

there is a company that rebuilds the rollers, their add says typicallyfor 1/3 the cost of new rollers

i will try to locate the company

Goatshaver

If it gets a little wave like that put your hand on the roll of laminate for a little tension and it will usually go away. Make sure you are loading it straight too. I doubt it's the laminator, we have one that is way out of wack and it'll still do the job as long as your tensions are right and you load it straight.

Yeah I'm going to refeed it and reset the tension on it to see if I can smooth out the "waves". I just never knew these were crowned and neither did the tech, which means I have no teach to even service this at all. I do have new pressure springs if I need to put some of those in. I'll start with the easiest solutions first and see.