• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New large sign material help.

altereddezignz

So we are new to the larger outside signs. We did a inside sign the other day that way 8x16 no lit just a printed full color vinyl sign. My question is how are you guys keeping the seams from being seen so bad. We hung the sign then laid the vinyl over the sign but you can see pretty good where the edged of the sign is at.

We have a couple more that need to be done on the outside of a building and we are going to build a frame out of steel then hang the whole sign at once.

The first 8x16 we did we used 4 4x8 sheets of metal. We have a 10x10 to do as well that we will be using 2-5x10.

Just trying to hide the seams a little better

Thank you.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
We do a ton of multi-panel murals for our exhibits, typically on sintra, but even if we apply directly to 47.5" wide wall panels, we print a 1" bleed around the entire graphic and wrap the bleed around to the backside. I made a jig that I align on the corners to cut 45 degree corners so that the meet evenly on the back. In the exhibit industry there is always the possibility that the frame may not be 100% flat and if we trim the graphics to the edge of the material, you'll see that thin white line where the substrate doesn't lay flat and it looks terrible. With us wrapping the edges, we eliminate that possibility. It also helps when you have union labor on a show floor attaching graphics and not taking the care needed to make sure they are flat at the seams. Customers love it. It's more time and effort, but the payoff when side by side with a mural that has the graphics trimmed to the edge is immediately apparent. Good luck.

altereddezignz

We are also wrapping the outside edges as well. My issue is where the panels meet int he middle. We use a 1" overlap as well.

Maybe this will help to make since of what i am asking. There are 4 panels 4x8. Each panel is stood up 8 ft tall.

The overall sign is 16ft long and 8 ft tall. So you 4 panels that stand 8 ft tall. Each printed panel is 52" wide and has a 1" overlap. The issue is where the metal meets each other under the vinyl. There are no seams in the vinyl itself as it seems to be one piece. It is where each of the 4x8 sheets meet. It looks like it has a seam there but it does not. I guess more screws to hold it down and screws closer together to hold it to the frame?

Hope this helps to describe my issue a little better lol..

Billct2

Some kind of seam is inevitable, especially outside. The only way around I can think of is a flex face.

altereddezignz

Some kind of seam is inevitable, especially outside. The only way around I can think of is a flex face.

The signs are not lit internally but front lit from ground or over the sign. If i am right isnt the flex face a banner or fabric type flexible material?

Again i am probably not right lol.

Billct2

Yes, it a banner type material and some versions are backlit.
The main point is it's a large "banner" that can be installed stretched on a frame, eliminating the need for panels.

letterman7

No, you're right, but flex face requires an extrusion in order to tension correctly. There is really no way to hide seams as you are describing unless you want to run an additional portion of the print where the seam will be and apply that to a piece of aluminum T molding, and slip that in between. Depending on the thickness of the molding it might look worse, though.

altereddezignz

We are going to do some testing today to try and improve the seams and see what happens. I am thinking that we simply did not ahve enough screws holding the panel at the edges.