• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new machine is driving me crazy

Neil

That's a great idea Howard.
I covered it with some frosted etch vinyl and have cut several things so far without any problems. Will continue to evaluate it for now but so far so good!

NBaessler

Hi Neil,

I talked with some of our engineers last night about this problem and they suggested that if you have stand, you should mount the brackets on the stand rather than the head. This way it will lower the roll of vinyl allowing the vinyl to cover the sensor. It will also lessen the effect of the media, as it is moving back into the cutter (-X direction), from rubbing against the roll causing it to bubble up (which will allow the light to reach the sensor).

I don't know if I am in complete agreement with this as being a solution so please view this a temporary solution. If you try this step, please report to me the results if you can at nbaessler@graphtecamerica.com.

Neal Baessler.

Flame

Bummer about the problems. Wish I could help, but I'm a newbie to the FC7000 myself (I have the 100). It has worked perfectly for me though. Even better than I thought it would. My favorite plotter I've ever used. :thumb:

Neil

Update: covering the sensor with frosted renders the sensor inactive. In fact I even tried clear scotch tape and that too blocks out the sensor!
So it's just like covering it with magnetic or similar.

Neal, I have mounted the rollers on the stand. That was the reason I got the stand, because the problem was happening a lot more often when I was using it as a desk top.

robpruitt

I have a Vinyl Express Q75 which is the exact same thing but black. The Vinyl Express are Graphtecs but are made for Sign Warehouse exclusively... anyway. I had the same problems you are having and found that I had the media lock on. It prevents the bars in the back from spinning (for easy loading) and if it's locked the roll of vinyl will get knocked right on the floor.

The problem with getting the "load media" message most likely has to do with the positioning of the rollers. There are little marks on the aluminum bar that the cutter slides on that shows you exactly where to place the rollers. If you don't place them there it would mean that the top rollers won't match with the bottom rollers and you'll have problems. So, make sure they are matched and that your media lock is off and you should be in business.

BTW I think your model is the best possible 30" cutter you can buy (except; if you would have bought my model you would have basically gotten a 3 year warranty for the same price you paid :( ). I'm cutting 50 real estate signs and I'm near the end of my 30" 50yard roll and I haven't had to adjust the tracking once. My weeding time is really minimul and I cut fonts that I don't think many other people would touch and that I would have refused to do on the Master at the Reprographics shop I worked at a while back. I've used several cutters and I think your model owns them all. Don't feel bad about your purchase because there is nothing better out there. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging. I just really love my cutter.

Last edited:

NBaessler

Neil,

Thanks for the report. GOOD NEWS is that the engineers have duplicated the problem and should have a fix by the end of this month!!!

BTW Bob ... I meant to mention that you were dead on about the plotter causing this error when the plotter is going in the -X direction.

Neal Baessler
Graphtec

robpruitt

You know; within minutes of making my last post I put a pretty heavy roll of vinyl in my machine and started getting the "load media" error. I knew I should have knocked on wood. I'm glad to know that this is a problem that they are working on because the machine has worked great. For the mean time I unroll a bit on vinyl before I work on a project so that machine doesn't have to pull so hard. It's a good bandaid for now at least.

Neil

Neal, that's great news that they can fix the problem.
As it is, I couldn't imagine that the cutter could be used as a desktop model without continually getting the "Load Media" message.
I'm glad there is this forum to enable users to discuss these things, and to know that they can be relayed to the engineers.

I still have some other points to bring up with you, which I'll do by email first.

Rob, you'll get that same "load Media!" error if you don't pre-feed the media and it suddenly pulls against the roll.
This is also a bit touchy IMHO and could also benefit from allowing us to continue instead of just coming to a sudden dead stop half way through a plot.

I don't like using the Auto Pre-Feed, so I don't have it on.
Instead I try to remember to spool out enough vinyl for the plot.
You can do this with the down arrow, and look at the display till it reaches the desired amount. You don't have to re-wind the vinyl, as it goes back to the origin automatically when you send the data for cutting.

robpruitt

Neil said:
This is also a bit touchy IMHO and could also benefit from allowing us to continue instead of just coming to a sudden dead stop half way through a plot.
Can you please clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying that my posts were interrupting you? LOL; I just can't seem to make friends here. Don't worry, i'll keep quiet.

Neil

Hehe, that gave me a chuckle Rob!
That's not what I meant at all.
Let me see if I can clarify....

I originally hijacked this thread voicing my concerns about the "load Media!" message and how it activates too easily with no way to cancel it.

My suggestion was to have the machine allow us to "Continue" whenever we get that message - instead of just irretrievably stopping.

Hence, this... ("allowing us to continue instead of just coming to a sudden dead stop half way through a plot.) is talking about the machine, not you!

By all means, interrupt away! - thats the purpose of these forums. That's a good point you make about the "load Media!" message activating from the slightest tug of the roll.

Hence, this...(This is also a bit touchy IMHO and could also benefit from allowing us to continue...)

So I hope you re-read the post as it was intended and continue to add to it whenever something comes up...

Custom Bob

Cover the rear sensors with a piece of vinyl. Then move the roller holder up as high as you can so the roll can't fall off, the stand and plotter hold it on the rollers if it jumps up. Thats what we did to cure the problem.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Ditto: We have a QE 50 VE and it did the same thing until we covered the sensor. Now if I can just figure out the damn ARM system to contour cut....

EndlessOptions

Sign-Man Signs said:
Ditto: We have a QE 50 VE and it did the same thing until we covered the sensor. Now if I can just figure out the damn ARM system to contour cut....

I have the FC5100 and gave up on the ARM, I use the laser bombsite and the generic 4 pt. registration marks and it works great EVERYTIME. The ARM I think is another work in progress by Graphtec.

tdgraphics

Just looking at these posts and we had a problem with our FC-5100, (about 8 years old now). What was happening was when the roll was being fed through the cutter quickly, the lever that lowers the pinch rollers was moving ever so slightly. It would then say, 'Load Media' etc and yet once it had stopped, everything seemed to be fine.

Got Graphtec in the UK to service it and they tightened up a few things and the machine has been fine for the past 4 years.

Just check if there is any play in the lowering lever for the pinch rollers.

dzign

I just got an FC7000-130. I'm running an Ioline Super88 - 30" until I get all the low downs on this new machine. Regarding the flying roll problem, I'm not sure if this relates to this machine, but I insert the leading edge of the vinyl between the rollers that support the roll before resting the roll on top of them and loop the vinyl under the front roller then up to the plotter and feed it into the rear of the machine. I usually run the machine about half speed and make sure there's plenty of material pulled off the roll before I start to cut. But this is an Ioline running without the auto-feed function.

ahollow

Looks like firmware version 1.80 will "fix" the Load Media screen and allow the option to continue with cutting.

Thanks Graphtec!

Derf

I have a new FC-7000-130 and this crap happened to me in the middle of a huge run of 48" vinyl!

I now just put a piece of tape over the sensor and remove it when cutting sheets!

Neil

Looks like firmware version 1.80 will "fix" the Load Media screen and allow the option to continue with cutting.

Thanks Graphtec!
:cool1: Thanks for letting us know Allan.
I've downloaded and uploaded, but I must admit I'm used to life without a rear sensor now ( covered permanently with vinyl).
Still, I may as well try it to see how it goes.
It's good to know that Graphtec take this stuff on board and can tweak the firmware as needed.