• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New Mainboard for SP-540V

OldDecals

Hello,
my Roland Sp 540 can no longer be switched on after it has been switched off with the main switch.
If the device is switched off by a power failure or by the main power switch, it can no longer be switched on. When I turn on the main switch, the LED on the print head lights up and, in the best case, the LED on the network card. Only when I heat the mainboard with a hair dryer and then switch the device on and off continuously (for hours) with the main switch does the display light up at some point and shows checksum and other internal error messages, but then the plotter starts again and works without errors until next power outage. Since this procedure is annoying, I bought and installed a new mainboard. The plotter now starts immediately, but unfortunately the brand new mainboard has no firmware and only shows a checksum error in the display. As far as I could find out, I need the Peck Tool from Roland for the first start-up. Can someone help me to put the new motherboard into operation?

(Sorry for the bad English, the google translator did most of the work)

netsol

There is a very common problem, with lptops, for instance, vrry common with nvidia chipsets.
Boards go ded & the fix is to "re-flow" in a re-work oven, this hets enough to repair intermittent solder joints.
You can probably find someone who reworks laptops and have them "run your board through" the re-flow oven. I haveva local company we use, but you hould have no problem finding someone

netsol

One other thought.
Boards tend to flex, becoming concave or convex as they heat
You might be able to see which way it flexes when you heat and either loosen the screws on the edges of the board or add a plastic spacer in the middle after removing a screw. BE GENTLE, but sometimes this is all it takes.

OldDecals

Hello netsol,
thanks for the support. The idea of the re-flow oven is very interesting as a plan B once I get the new mainboard up and running. I've already tried to loosen the screws including bending the board and installing it slightly warped without success. Even a slight push or pull on the board didn't help. Only the hot air dryer worked in a very limited area. It's actually interesting, first nothing happens when you turn it on and then the warmer the board gets, the network card starts to flash and then maybe the display turns on with checksum errors. When the board cools down and you're lucky, a few internal error messages appear and it runs again.

netsol

Most of those boards are muti-level
We have done a lot of this, many computers now have as many as 7 layers, with "feed throughs" plated through holes, making connections from layer to layer.

The new technology allows surface mount components, and much more density in a smaller area, but these problems are becoming more common.

SINCE YOU MENTION isolating to a small area, have you tried using a can of "freeze spray" just in case it is a thermally intermittent component? If it were, a little temperture drop would shut down the machine (without doing any damage).

OldDecals

Thanks again for the help! My problem is when I try that and it works I have hours before I can put the board into operation again. However, since I already have a new board and it shows a checksum error after installation, the priority for me is to get the new board up and running before trying to fix the old one. Please do not misunderstand, I am happy about the suggestions and would also like to try to repair the old board again, but I can only do that when the new board is up and running. Hence my question as to whether it is possible to put the new board into operation without the peck.exe tool, which I don't have, or whether it can also be done without this tool. Or if someone can provide me with the Peck.exe for the Roland SP plotter.

netsol

I do not have access to the peck tool.
There are websites that sell the epson tools for the diffrent series epson wide formats,but not for the rolands.
I believe, though that vanderj (solventinkjet) replied to someone that you can manually enter the NECESSARY VALUES (such as the machine width) after which the machine would be functional

Your problem is a checksum error, which suggests to me that a firmware update failed
You could attempt a firmware update, i think a reinstall might correct this

To determine your ip on the "new board" try running advanced ip scanner (this may not work, since you do not know the range of ip previously used on this board, or even if it becomesactive with a checksum error)

Someone else may respond who has had your particular problem, on your particular machine

OldDecals

I assume that no firmware is installed on the new board.
I read somewhere that there should be a key combination with which you can enter the basic information manually on the board.
Unfortunately that didn't work. It seems that this peck tool is necessary after all.

Thanks for the support.

netsol

Checksum error normally indicates a failed update
You can download WIRESHARK and try to identify the ip address of your ethernet (if it has one)
If this worKS you can use a browser to reinstall firmware

I don't know of a source for the peck tool.
I feel roland is wrong on this issue, but we could spend months debating "right to repair" but it won't change anything.

the above is the way i would approach your problem.

Modtour4

Checksum error normally indicates a failed update
You can download WIRESHARK and try to identify the ip address of your ethernet (if it has one)
If this worKS you can use a browser to reinstall firmware

I don't know of a source for the peck tool.
I feel roland is wrong on this issue, but we could spend months debating "right to repair" but it won't change anything.

the above is the way i would approach your problem.
How would you use a browser to install the firmware?

Thanks

Russ