• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new or used printer?

puff5

hi guys i'm looking to purchase a printer/cutter for wrapping . I have a chance to buy a roland xc-540 that is 2 yrs old.just wondering what everyone's opinion is . i was also thinking about the epson gs6000 64"

Thanks,
Jason

laserman70

We bought used to start out.
Buying used means you have no tech support, you will have to fix any problem or have a tech come in and its not cheap.
I have done warranty work for HP lasers for years. These are different animals, but I was able to receive a service manual from a fine member here and did all repairs myself.
If you have no knowledge of repairing things like printers,computers,or some type of equipment, you will soon or you will be broke.
We saved 4500.00 by buyin used, even after the parts to fix it.
Just my .02

puff5

do these printers break down alot? the used one i am looking at is suppose to work just fine at the moment . I do have some mechanical background just not working on printers. Is 19,500 a good price on xc-540 ? do you know of any reputable dealers i could call to get great pricing on new?

thanks,
Jason

AUTO-FX

It's not just servicing that may be required, there is also a considerable learning curve with the operation of the machine in conjunction with your software. As mentioned , mechanical/technical ability is required from time to time. Or you need a decent checkbook.

d fleming

19,5000? For that kind of money you can buy new. You may consider a latex printer w/ support and warranty.

TheSnowman

I think you need to get a little more education about what you are jumping into. I would recommend going to one of the trade shows, and going and seeing what all exists, before you drop money on a product that you don't really know anything about. All the major vendors would be there, and you could talk pricing with them there.

puff5

Yeh, i can buy new . That xc-540 retails for 31,500 . I could get a vs-540 or a epson gs6000 brand new . I should be ok as far as technical side of it , I build my own computers so i've had to fix some issues as far as computers and software goes.

Anyone have thoughts on the vs540 vs the gs6000?

puff5

yeh , I can buy new . That xc-540 retails for 31,500 . I can get the vs-540 or the Epson gs6000 . I should be ok on technical side of it . I build my own pc's ,had to deal with issues on my own before. Just wanted to see everyones thought on the xc-540 didn't know if thats a great deal or not . Guy said that it has less then 5000 linear ft ran threw it.
Anyone have opinions on the vs-540 vs the epson gs6000?

artbot

i wouldn't suggest sinking a bunch of money into an expensive printer until you prove to yourself that you have the ability to market, sell through, install, and also "enjoy" the business. all that can be found out with a $5000 printer. just owning a printer doesn't mean you are in the business. there's a good chance that it will sit dormant or rarely printing for several months to a year as you refine different aspects of your business.

it's like saying, "i want to get into the delivery business"..."i need a $30,000 truck." no you don't. you need a decent, dependable truck.

"new" is for when that machine is running nonstop right out of the crate. and that will not happen for a while.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Buy a new latex printer and a seperate cutter. $17,500 for a 60" Latex, dont get me wrong Roland makes a great machine but solvent is smelly and Latex is the new technology with no odor or dangerous fumes.

puff5

thanks all good advice . I think artbot hit it i would love to find a good print quality printer in the $5000 - 10,000 . Any models that i should look for ? What models would fit that price range?

I will be wrapping golf cart bodies to start out . I am in the golf car sales biz. I just love customizing and think this is the way to go to do that . I currently paint them and that is alot more hazardous to my health than any printer would be.

tomence

The two printers i mentioned are 64". If size dont matter and have 220V outlets than i would buy the 42" latex HP printer

artbot

well, he mentioned that he's currently painting the golf carts. if he can already paint, adding a graphics option to his business would be nice. i don't think that is "going around" a sign shop. it's adding to his design options. and hell, if it's just carts and will stay carts for the near future, i say definitely get a starter sub 40" printer for sure. that kind of work isn't going to be very demanding from a speed and square footage aspect. he'll get his profit from the creative option not selling loads of prints.

@puff5... also, i'd try to standardize the graphics too and sell pre-designed (customizable colored packages) on the internet. i think it'd make a great niche market.