• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Owners of the HP L25500

MachServTech

What are your impressions? What medias do you like/dislike on it?

What rips are you using? problems?

Likes/Dislikes in general?

Looking to purchase one soon and would like some extra info before going to ISA.

KevSign

What are your impressions? What medias do you like/dislike on it?
Ultra Flex 15oz Supersmooth Blockout we got problem with this because Drying system too hot to make material not even when it done, so far we learn this and adjust the temperature from 90 to 70 make sure ink is dry, So far we like to run on 3M180c, Orajet 3165RA for daily job print and mount (great quality, we using to print with HPz6100), we will try with sublimation textile soon ( block-out textile).

What rips are you using? problems?
We using Wasatch rip driving with 4 printers, HP-L25500 could not connect with stand alone network card and fail couple time for power of mother board, Now we connect through local net so far no problem since.

Likes/Dislikes in general?

Like No smell solvent, fast print, replace print head (you don't pay for technician), i1 color built in for calibration for print head alignment, print on sublimation textiles (will try next), leather, Light box. So far ink not too bad for pricing 775ml cost around $139-159 ea. cartridge. NO WAITING FOR DRYING (laminate, trim and ship right way).

Dislike: Waiting for machine warm-up every print waste media (you had to rip ahead and print all same time, in Wasatch using layout add job together and print), Head strike if not advance media, unroll media if thick media with memory will get head strike when machine starting warm-up, you have to have 2 fire extinguisher require from HP (that's funny), cannot leave it run overnight like other printer, if get stuck will catch fire on some medias (our shop will run with Roland printer if need overnight print), will get hot in summer.

Anyway, This printer will help us win more jobs with high quality print, maintenance cost is low, I am sure HP will learn and improve their Firmware fine tune this print will be perfect. We looking for 2nd one when HP come out 2nd genration.

Attachments

• VanWarp with HP-L25500.jpg
    VanWarp with HP-L25500.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 142
  • HP-L25500.jpg
    HP-L25500.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

marcsitkin

Latex Printer materials

So far, these are the materials that have worked:
  1. HP HDPE Banner- Runs well, nice color
  2. HP Heavyweight Fabric- can hold a good black, bright color
  3. Ultraflex Window Perf- not sure which version, we had an old roll
  4. Mojave 13oz Super smooth banner vinyl-good color, handles heat well
  5. Coated 80lb offset paper-prints great!
  6. HP Latex paper- printed very nicely

These materials haven't worked well:
  1. HP Lightweight Fabric- weak black, not waterfast
  2. 3p Tru-color heavy banner-mottled appearence (we will retest with a custom profile)

Still testing, will update as we try more materials

jens

the worst problem is the heating time to start.
but i have heard that you can place it on a standbytemp. A setting in the rip. Wasatch rip ? Is that true ? you can't do this in caldera.

you dont need to drop a high ink limit that is nice,
but the most problem is heating of the media.

marcsitkin

Heat up

In the Wasatch rip is a button labeled "prepare printer" which gets it going up to temp. If you hit it before you set up your file in the rip, it shaves a little time off the warm-up.

Heat-up time seems to be no more than our Mimaki JV3 had.

aerospacial

do you put your machines in nobreak ?

i had 3 day down because of error 86:01... and started work suddenly.

I'm not satisfied with this machine

lets see in the future..

marcsitkin

Updates to Material Tests

• HP HDPE Banner- Runs well, nice color
  • HP Heavyweight Fabric- can hold a good black, bright color
  • Ultraflex Window Perf- not sure which version, we had an old roll
  • Mojave 13oz Super smooth banner vinyl-good color, handles heat well
  • Coated 80lb offset paper-prints great!
  • HP Latex paper- printed very nicely
    Recently Tested and printed nicely (All from Lexjet):
    • Linen SUV
    • Poly SUV
    • Poly Lite SUV

• HP Lightweight Fabric- weak black, not waterfast
  • 3p Tru-color heavy banner-mottled appearence (we will retest with a custom profile)

Atoku

I've been running the 60" latex machine with Onyx Postershop 7.x since mid-March. So far there have been no major issues and it behaves like a typical DesignJet.

We tend to print specialty signage and fabrics for the exhibit trade. The printer also does a good job on outdoor vinyl, banners and perforated window films. Coated (solvent) polyester fabrics and textured polyester films are producing excellent results.

The machine is very sensitive to humidity (we're near the Texas gulf coast). High relative humidity coupled with operation near the top of the temperature range will definitely impact curing and print speed on lower temperature substrates. Best results are achieved when humidity is kept in check with air conditioning and a large volume dehumidifier. At 75 F we maintain 35%-40% RH. Any higher moisture and low temp, low print pass or high ink modes may fail to fully cure inks on some low temp substrates.

HP confirmed my observation (as read by IR temp measurements) that higher temperatures are present on the control panel/service station side of the platten. Some wide substrates, calendered vinyl for instance may experience uneven curing or possible deformation as a result.

In general the machine performs well although further firmware tweaks are in order.

marcsitkin

Updates to Material Tests

Updates 6-29-10
  • HP HDPE Banner- Runs well, nice color
  • HP Heavyweight Fabric- can hold a good black, bright color
  • Ultraflex Window Perf- not sure which version, we had an old roll
  • Mojave 13oz Super smooth banner vinyl-good color, handles heat well
  • Coated 80lb offset paper-prints great!
  • HP Latex paper- printed very nicely
  • Dreamscape canvas wallpaper
    Recently Tested and printed nicely (All from Lexjet):
    • Linen SUV
    • Poly SUV
    • Poly Lite SUV
    • Lexjet canvas wallpaper (application to wall also went well)

• HP Lightweight Fabric- weak black, not waterfast
  • 3p Tru-color heavy banner-mottled appearence (we will retest with a custom profile)

Firefox

Bump

Bumping to the top, hope that is okay!

I am considering the HP 25500, or possibly the Roland Versa Camm VS-640.

If anyone has updates to how they like their HP now that they have been using it a while I would appreciate the info.

The resellers of this hardware are being aggressive with the package deals these days and this HP looks attractive.

Thanks in advance :U Rock:

Thanks for the media testing information... I've been having the same problems with the hp light fabric. Or, I had someone tell me that the tablecloth I printed for them got some water on it and all the color started running.

I've had the same issue with the HP wall paper.

How does the HP heavy fabric work? Would it also be usable as say a tablecloth? Or is it too rough?

marcsitkin

The HP Heavy fabric prints well, but is too heavy for a table cloth.

Try the simple fabric media from lexjet. It might do the trick. Prints well.

MachServTech

Thanks for the media testing information... I've been having the same problems with the hp light fabric. Or, I had someone tell me that the tablecloth I printed for them got some water on it and all the color started running.

I've had the same issue with the HP wall paper.

On the wallpaper I notice a slight rub off when the wallpaper is wet and I am wiping hard, but its nowhere near enough to smear the image.

I have used both of these products from HP on the L25500 now and have had no problems. Currently running Onyx X10.

Could be the curing settings in the RIP are not set high enough. I just tested (poured water) on a printed sample of the light fabric that HP sent me in the mail a few months ago. It didn't bleed or run.

Letterbox Mike

So overall how is the scratch resistance of these inks on regular gloss vinyl? How well does it hold up to any sort of solvents, from Rapid Tac to Alcohol? We're seriously considering the 25500 as a replacement for our aging JV3 but I'm concerned about ink durability compared to solvent ink we're used to.

MachServTech

I find the l25500 has the same alcohol resistance as the epson gs inks. The scratch resistance is much better than eco sol inks. Its nice to pull prints off of this machine and not have the faces stick together. You give and take a little with any ink, but I am really happy since I purchased this machine. I think the best part is not having to wait to laminate. Zero maintenance comes in a close second though.

Letterbox Mike

Realistically do you see it as a viable replacement for solvent inks, leaving the eco-friendly aspect out of the equation? Better, equal, not quite as good as solvent? From what I'm hearing it almost sounds too good to be true but I haven't found the catch yet. Maybe there really isn't one...

Kevin-shopVOX

I heard that you have to replace the heads on these machines every 400ml or so. Is that true? Doesn't it also require two 220 volt inputs?