• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions New Printer

1leonchen

Good day. i am contemplating a new machine. i had experience with Mimaki, Epson, Mutoh,sekio colour painter,Roland and Chinese. Currently my Mutoh died and i want to replace it. i like the mimaki its such a beast. i love the inter weaving on the mutoh. i love the epson in feed and out feed system. i love the roland print and cut options.

i looked at the new mimaki CJV150-160 and i am leaning towards that. what are your reviews. i am open to all opinions. i have a brief knowledge in repairs but most manufacture wont allow u to fix the machine any more. as the have locked the ink counts and various other components that are dealer change only.

If u we in my case what would u buy.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well looks like you need to look at HP-Latex, you might as well since you have seen many others already. The real question is, what are the main applications your going to be doing? Do you have a cutter and laminator already?

heyskull

Why not another Mutoh?
My old 1604 is built like a tank and much better built than the smaller 1204, 1304 and 1324 machines.
It will be 10 year old in September of this year and still prints as well as the day it was installed.
I do 95% of my own maintenance now with consumables and main parts bought a lot cheaper from the likes of DIGIPRINT SUPPLIES in Belgium.

My biggest issue with not replacing my machine, is nothing has changed.
The new Mutoh line up doesn't look any different from my 10 year old machine either.

Also have a friend who has a new HP Latex who has found that although the print heads are a huge amount of money cheaper than my Mutoh he is replacing them at a rapid rate.

SC

1leonchen

Well looks like you need to look at HP-Latex, you might as well since you have seen many others already. The real question is, what are the main applications your going to be doing? Do you have a cutter and laminator already?

i have two laminatior machine. two cheap cutters and one contour cutter. i looked at the hp latex but i wasn't wowed at the show. i prefer a solvent machine.

1leonchen

Why not another Mutoh?
My old 1604 is built like a tank and much better built than the smaller 1204, 1304 and 1324 machines.
It will be 10 year old in September of this year and still prints as well as the day it was installed.
I do 95% of my own maintenance now with consumables and main parts bought a lot cheaper from the likes of DIGIPRINT SUPPLIES in Belgium.

My biggest issue with not replacing my machine, is nothing has changed.
The new Mutoh line up doesn't look any different from my 10 year old machine either.

Also have a friend who has a new HP Latex who has found that although the print heads are a huge amount of money cheaper than my Mutoh he is replacing them at a rapid rate.

SC
love the mutoh but i looking at a higher color gamut cmyk lc lm. want to do higher end stuff. still have a old machine i can run stuff for cheap. but i want some thing to do full wraps. no banding lines. smooth gradations. good colour matching.

Hp also have a Sovent printer that prints with orange color, all printers always have problem to print a nice orange, this one also have Lc Lm colors.

heyskull

love the mutoh but i looking at a higher color gamut cmyk lc lm. want to do higher end stuff. still have a old machine i can run stuff for cheap. but i want some thing to do full wraps. no banding lines. smooth gradations. good colour matching.
I didn't find an issue with banding on the valuejet and much like most printers the colour gamut is acceptable.
Adding more colours into a printer can just add more things to block and go wrong.
If a client is getting fussy about matching colours perfectly, maybe they should go elsewhere.

SC

1leonchen

I didn't find an issue with banding on the valuejet and much like most printers the colour gamut is acceptable.
Adding more colours into a printer can just add more things to block and go wrong.
If a client is getting fussy about matching colours perfectly, maybe they should go elsewhere.

SC
u are right about that. i was planning to get a mimaki CJV150-160. my mind is shifting. i don't want to combine the machines. too much head aches. also i have one 60 inch cheap printer and one old 98 inch machine. i had just felt like i don't want to fix some things any more. i am thinking abuot the CG-SR III Series plotter. what are your opinions. bought a GCC and only used it 10-15 times and i don't work any more. only small contour cut jobs. worse than my old Chinese cutter i started with ten years ago. i will never buy a gcc product again. worse customer support ever. took them 6 month to figure out their own machine.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Check out the new Epsons. They have a real nice new interweave pattern. We used to have Mimaki JV3s here and tried switching to latex. Didn't like it and went with Epson. Everyone is happy now.

1leonchen

Check out the new Epsons. They have a real nice new interweave pattern. We used to have Mimaki JV3s here and tried switching to latex. Didn't like it and went with Epson. Everyone is happy now.

ran a gs 6000 epson beautiful prints best i have seen about two years ago. nothing but headaches. red burnt out in less than 1 year under lamination. i am in florida sun light conditions. boss i was at bought a sure colour s360 and ran beautiful until it wanted parts. epson has good warranty. they came three times to fix the machine. three print head in 2 years.

still contemplating the right machine. but epson is a good choice.

coastguy111

The new SureColor models- s40 s60 s80?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jfiscus

Rap Master
ran a gs 6000 epson beautiful prints best i have seen about two years ago. nothing but headaches. red burnt out in less than 1 year under lamination. i am in florida sun light conditions. boss i was at bought a sure colour s360 and ran beautiful until it wanted parts. epson has good warranty. they came three times to fix the machine. three print head in 2 years.

still contemplating the right machine. but epson is a good choice.
They have come a long way from the GS6000. Epson SureColor S-Series Printers | Epson US
See if your local sign supply dealer has a demo model running you can go look at.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
i have two laminator machine. two cheap cutters and one contour cutter. i looked at the hp latex but i wasn't wowed at the show. i prefer a solvent machine.[/QUOTe

I am curious what part didn't blow you away vs. ANY solvent machine out there? Was it the slow speed of solvent that you like? Or is it the daily maintenance and smelly fumes that makes you want another solvent machine? Is it the instant dry times of latex and more variety of print materials that steers you away?

1leonchen

maybe i am stuck in my old ways. but i not switching to latex,not cost effective consumables. i only use 3m for wraps and thats it.

AKwrapguy

maybe i am stuck in my old ways. but i not switching to latex,not cost effective consumables. i only use 3m for wraps and thats it.

Being stuck in your ways is fine but how is latex not cost effective? Eco-solvent waste ink is probably costing you more than you realize, the long term health issues alone make the switch to latex more efficient.

New latex printers with built in spectrophotometer and gen 3 inks are awesome and efficient. With print head optimization you can get more life out of the print heads, since print heads less expensive than eco-solvent you're able to maintain print quality over a much longer time. The variety of materials you can print on is far grater than you would expect (basically if you can fit it through the machine it will print on it) allowing you to explore new money making opportunities. Probably the best thing of all it doesn't slowly kill you with toxic fumes..

I'm currently rocking two HP 8000's and we switching them out with two HP 570's next month.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
IMG_2875.JPG

Me either!! Oops :)

Niun

Waffle Baron
:p We actually threw our old Roland Eco-Solvents in the garbage.. that was an interesting day. Boss hates waiting for dry times and the smell. I was very skeptical about replacing them with HP 360 Latex machines, but they have both been work horses for the three years they have been running.

Back to the topic, I loved our Mimaki back in the day. Great color and quality and never had a complaint there either.