• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printhead not printing.

Michael Snook

Hello, I have just installed a new printhead in my Roland VS640 the test print was odd, so I changed the cables again, but now I get nothing. I have new cables coming, but I’m just not sure what is happening, why no print at all.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FrankW

Which printer?

Your description is like „my car is not running“. Nobody have a chance to help you.

FrankW

Have you filled the print head after replacement? Does the nozzle test show up not a single line?

Have you plugged the cables correctly (right direction)? The flat cables are easy to check, they have open metal contacts to one side only, as the connectors on the head have too. Correct cables into correct connector?

Sometimes, when removing the head cables while the printer is still connected to power, or the cables are not correctly connected to the head when switching the printer on, the head fuse could be blown.

Michael Snook

Hello, yes, filled the head, done a few cleans. Not one drop coming out.
I have looked at cables and made sure they are correct, I’m as sure as I can be.
I’m now hoping a fuse may have blown. I just need to find it….thank you.

netsol

lets start at the beginning
why did you replace the old head? what was it doing?
where did you buy the new head?
in what way was the nozzle check "odd". ?

Michael Snook

lets start at the beginning
why did you replace the old head? what was it doing?
where did you buy the new head?
in what way was the nozzle check "odd". ?
Hello, the printhead was basically dead, so I purchased a new one from Digiprint with new capping, dampers, cables, wipers etc.
Entered head rank etc.
first test print after a clean was odd. Picture below, presumed it was the cables as they were very awkward to fit, so I took them out and tried again. Now I get NOTHING with all text prints.
Every time I do anything I turn off machine and unplug etc.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 29702F60-6413-4682-8604-3D6FAC67412D.jpeg
    29702F60-6413-4682-8604-3D6FAC67412D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Michael Snook

I guess that the SMD fuse on head board is blown up.
Thank you for your reply. I only had some 3a fuses so replaced with them, but I then get Feed Motor Error 00cc 0004, so I put the old fuses back in, then ok apart from printhead. I am ordering 3.15a fuses as I type….
Here is a picture of original fuses.
Is this the SMD fuse??

Attachments

• 24135844-45F5-4509-9958-F5849672113F.jpeg
    24135844-45F5-4509-9958-F5849672113F.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 122

netsol

wrong value fuse CAN NOT give you a feed motor error.
i would agree the printbis odd.

is there ink spilled on any of the ribbon cables? ink is conductive & dissolves the white, insulatiion, can cause a short

also look at carriage board for ink, are you sure a conductor on the ribbon cable did not lift and fold over. (i have done this myself)

DO NOT run machine with a larger value fuse. lower value (2amp in place of 3) will simplynblow the fuse.
higher value can burn up several boards & turn the machine into a junker

back up a little, EXACTLY WHAT WAS THE SYMPTOM that caused you to order a new head?
before everything came apart

i still think the answer to your mystery lies there

Michael Snook

wrong value fuse CAN NOT give you a feed motor error.
i would agree the printbis odd.

is there ink spilled on any of the ribbon cables? ink is conductive & dissolves the white, insulatiion, can cause a short

also look at carriage board for ink, are you sure a conductor on the ribbon cable did not lift and fold over. (i have done this myself)

DO NOT run machine with a larger value fuse. lower value (2amp in place of 3) will simplynblow the fuse.
higher value can burn up several boards & turn the machine into a junker

back up a little, EXACTLY WHAT WAS THE SYMPTOM that caused you to order a new head?
before everything came apart

i still think the answer to your mystery lies there
I wouldn’t use a higher fuse! OK, the good news is….I have just checked the original fuses and they are blown! Only if I use the 3a I get the FEED MOTOR ERROR, so maybe the 3a is OK and may solve the new printhead issue, but maybe I have damaged the Feed Motor now! Ha!
I have new 3.15a fuses coming so I will see after that at least the fuse issue will be eliminated! What do think about the ink on the board shown in the picture, I’m about to remove the cable and see what the 3a fuses then say!
Sorry I’m probably not wording this correctly….novice.

Thank you.

Attachments

• E98A653C-6F23-4F8D-B5FF-F6A367CCE66E.jpeg
    E98A653C-6F23-4F8D-B5FF-F6A367CCE66E.jpeg
    980.6 KB · Views: 128

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Did you try to re-insert the cables while the printer was still powered? If so, then it for sure blew the fuses, I learned that the hard way when I was first starting to use these machines. They can be a pain to remove and solder a new one, I would advise to just solder on top if your new to this.