• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Router Advice

vectorvictor

Yes, this will be my first cnc machine. I have been casually looking for a few years. I figure I send out about 40 - 50k a year in dimensional acrylic lettering and creating unique signage is the direction I would like to go. I'm also a wood working hobbyist with a commercial wood working shop next door to me and they really do not do any cnc work. I turn down a fair amount of small orders that require contour cutting on print jobs because it's too much hassle to take it somewhere and be on their schedule and the flat fee is too much to mark up much if any. I have a summa t 160 for my vinyl cutting and I'm perfectly happy with it's performance.

One caveat is I currently only have single phase power, but I have a 3 phase power pole close by so I could bring it in, but it was one of the reasons I first looked at a Colex sharpcut. I have had several reps at other companies tell me they can wire their machines for single phase though. I suppose I next looked at the Laguna smartshop MT. I remember being really impressed with the AXYZ machine about 4 years ago at the sign show and ran into them again this year in Atlanta. I have even taken a wood engraving job over to Atlanta to see how well their machine cut on hardwood. The other day I was on here and read someone mentioned the Sabre pro 510. I got some pricing from them and they seem to offer a little more at a lower price point.

All this said, I do not know enough to know what I don't know... if that makes sense. With this being a first purchase into a new segment of business I would like to make a choice I'm not quickly second guessing or flat out regretting. No part of my business plans involve putting in a digi print and getting into the coro market. Our background is commercial printing although we have moved mostly to signage over the past 5 years. Point being we are pretty good with adobe creative suite, but we are completely ignorant in the ways of CAD so if there are software difference that interface better with design softwares that might help us transition a little better.

Thanks in advance.

Simonsigns

I ordered a shop sabre pro 510 in March. Was supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks. Never have they updated me on progress. Called them about a month ago to follow up after the 12 weeks. They said another 8 weeks.
Waited about a month sent them an email 2 days ago...no response, had to follow up and they said another 7-8 weeks. I asked them what the hold up is, never got a response....been paying the payments the last 4 -5 months ...but no router.

Eric H

They make three phase converters. I would think the router company would be able to help you source them. Or do some research online for what you need.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Yes, this will be my first cnc machine. I have been casually looking for a few years. I figure I send out about 40 - 50k a year in dimensional acrylic lettering and creating unique signage is the direction I would like to go. I'm also a wood working hobbyist with a commercial wood working shop next door to me and they really do not do any cnc work. I turn down a fair amount of small orders that require contour cutting on print jobs because it's too much hassle to take it somewhere and be on their schedule and the flat fee is too much to mark up much if any. I have a summa t 160 for my vinyl cutting and I'm perfectly happy with it's performance.

One caveat is I currently only have single phase power, but I have a 3 phase power pole close by so I could bring it in, but it was one of the reasons I first looked at a Colex sharpcut. I have had several reps at other companies tell me they can wire their machines for single phase though. I suppose I next looked at the Laguna smartshop MT. I remember being really impressed with the AXYZ machine about 4 years ago at the sign show and ran into them again this year in Atlanta. I have even taken a wood engraving job over to Atlanta to see how well their machine cut on hardwood. The other day I was on here and read someone mentioned the Sabre pro 510. I got some pricing from them and they seem to offer a little more at a lower price point.

All this said, I do not know enough to know what I don't know... if that makes sense. With this being a first purchase into a new segment of business I would like to make a choice I'm not quickly second guessing or flat out regretting. No part of my business plans involve putting in a digi print and getting into the coro market. Our background is commercial printing although we have moved mostly to signage over the past 5 years. Point being we are pretty good with adobe creative suite, but we are completely ignorant in the ways of CAD so if there are software difference that interface better with design softwares that might help us transition a little better.

Thanks in advance.
There are some good used colex options in NJ that should still be available.
Multicam, AXYZ, Colex are likely going to be the better choices for thick dimensional lettering.
The benefit from those platforms is the collet types they use that allow for larger diameter tooling to be used when needed.
For ref on some lower price points if you are interested is sales@rapidvisualsolutions.com
He has a model bought in 2019 ($45k) and 2022 ($65K) that he is looking to sell.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
I think this depends on your contour cutting needs and expected needs. I do this for customers but it's a pain if the machine is not set up for it, and I gather machines like the colex are. Heavier letter work probably favors the routers and doesn't need a vision alignment system.

I myself don't know the how the software would vary but certainly for regular work, you have a lot of flexibility with a router setup. I would expect (but could be wrong) less flexibility with a cutter system but a smoother workflow. I guess all I'm saying is you should check out both and see capabilities and the workflow each system has.

Anything with a tool changer would be worthwhile for you from your post, and that also might point to the colex as a router ATC is usually quite high power requirements.

vectorvictor

I ordered a shop sabre pro 510 in March. Was supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks. Never have they updated me on progress. Called them about a month ago to follow up after the 12 weeks. They said another 8 weeks.
Waited about a month sent them an email 2 days ago...no response, had to follow up and they said another 7-8 weeks. I asked them what the hold up is, never got a response....been paying the payments the last 4 -5 months ...but no router.
When their sales person reaches back out I will ask about your situation. If you would like me to refer to your specific order you can message me your business name and I can specifically mention your situation as a concern with me looking at their machine.

Simonsigns

When their sales person reaches back out I will ask about your situation. If you would like me to refer to your specific order you can message me your business name and I can specifically mention your situation as a concern with me looking at their machine.
I appreciate it. I reached out to them again and they said they are awaiting on parts. The reason they didnt get back to me is because they have anther 300 customers asking for updates....idk man...im very frustrated...I feel like they should have kept me updated....
I ordered an accubend at the same time it came before the promised date.

Simonsigns

I got the freedom. I'm very happy with it. It works as expected. I think it took two weeks to receive it. The customer service has been fantastic. They will log into your computer and teach you how to set up the files. We were doing it by hand what would take a half hour to 45 minutes takes like 5-10 min and u can be doing trimcap or attaching the backs while the machine is working....I added a attachment to the end of it that the letter can sit on... I think it's a no-brainer.