• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New SP300V...have some rip questions.

JAMEY

I am picking up a new SP300V and GX24 (for mobile) and am considering SignLab to make my designing and such less hassle for me.

I am told by Beacon to just use SignLab Designer (just under a grand) with Roland's Versaworks. They said that combo works real good. He told me that people are reporting better colors than when using the SignLab Print & Cut (no versaworks) with this setup.

Signlab told me that they offer a competitive trade in allowance for Versaworks on new units. Basically I'd be getting the SignLab Print & Cut for just over a grand. He told me that Signlab Designer offers better designing though.

Decisions decisions.

Before anybody asks: I'll be doing motorcycle graphics, truck lettering and such. Maybe some shirts also. I use PhotoImpact for my photo work and love that program. I want a specialized program and have no problem buying it. I am not looking at Corel. It would be nice to be able to import my jpg's and bitmaps into a program once in a while too.

From your experiences with the above mentioned Signlab Software and Versaworks....what would you do? Get the SignLab Designer and use Versaworks or scrap the Versaworks and just get the Signlab Print & Cut for a few hundred more?

Maybe the savings could buy me some Aurora graphics or something...

Last edited by a moderator:

JAMEY

I goofed above. I meant Signlab Designer and Signlab Print and cut. Can somebody edit that for me? Seems the editing time here is low. Nothing to do with Flexi actually...again...my bad.

mediaman

Bottomline,

I don't think you spoke to Beacon about SignLab. We (Beacon) are a Flexi Dealer, which does have a Designer version we often recommend to VersaWorks users.

petepaz

we use adobe illust. , sign engine and photoshop with versa works on both our sp300v and vp540
no problems as of yet (1 year on the sp300 and 6 months on the vp540)

cfbeagle

I would get Corel Draw and Use the Versaworks RIP that comes with the SP300...

I have a SP540 and this combo works very well for me.

pindesign

Versaworks has a few quirks, but which RIP doesnt!?

Mainly the nesting and layout is a little cumbersome, but I have found it to be a very functional RIP for all of our jobs.

We print, laminate and cut all sorts of stuff.

It is fully functional, free with your printer, designed to work with the roland. I have not found anything I can't do in it yet. If you require more than two queues each with dedicated set-ups it may be limited, but I can't imagine you would use a sp-300v in that situation anyhow.

I reckon start out with the Versa (as it's free) do a training module to jump start your way in (unless you are very experienced in IT and RIPs) - only then if you find it is inadequate consider another solution...

TresL

Using ILL, Photoshop & Versaworks here.

Once you get your work flow down, you should do fine.

mediaman

SA International (formerly Scanvec-Amiable) has a Competitive Upgrade path to FlexiSIGN PRO 8.5. If you turn in your VersaWorks disc, Flexi is available at a significantly reduced price.

Gene@mpls

SA International (formerly Scanvec-Amiable) has a Competitive Upgrade path to FlexiSIGN PRO 8.5. If you turn in your VersaWorks disc, Flexi is available at a significantly reduced price.

Just called my supply guy at Xpress Graphix and he thought it was 40% off
of list for Fpro 8.5 upgrade- what is FPro now days- I paid $5k 11 years ago.
I don't want to upgrade my 7.6v2 to 8.5 and lose my parallel key- I still can
use it with Fpro 5.7.