• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New start!

scottsnyder

Just pondering on printing and all aspects of the industry. I am wondering how one starts with their first client? How did the client out reach go?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Find someone (a friend, relative) that is starting a business. Do the logo for free, do some vehicle graphics at cost, maybe some business cards.

I started with lettering late models at my local dirt track. Payment upfront is a MUST - it's really not a good idea to mess with race cars cuz you get screwed at every turn (no pun intended) but you asked so I'm telling you LOL

Once you get the first couple jobs under your belt you can post them on your FB page and small jobs that are a PITA will come your way. At some point you will get a business and slowly you can get rid of the little PITA stuff and focus on commercial jobs.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm confused, if you have over 5 years of experience, how are you just now pondering how to get started?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya gotta start somewhere.

He just finished painting all the rooms in his new place and is waiting for the carpeting to be installed. All good things take time. You oughta know about that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why is it...... all these wannabees seem to have a chip on their shoulder[s]. They ask half baked questions and when someone needs more information in order to help, the OP cops an attitude. I'm seeing this more & more.

I mean, this is a site for professionals and people who want to better their business, their trade and all sorts of other things, but a complete novice who evidently has no head for business asks a basic business question. They don't even bother using the correct category or give near enough information, but they sure know how to look a gift horse in the mouth. :doh:

Last edited:

scottsnyder

Why is it...... all these wannabees seem to have a chip on their shoulder[s]. They ask half baked questions and when someone needs more information in order to help, the OP cops an attitude. I'm seeing this more & more.

I mean, this is a site for professionals and people who want to better their business, their trade and all sorts of other things, but a complete novice who evidently has no head for business asks a basic business question. They don't even bother using the correct category or give near enough information, but they sure know how to look a gift horse in the mouth. :doh:
The question was fully baked dude. Carry on

scottsnyder

It was literally just a question. I have seen so many people ask but only a simple question and all you people want to make more of it than what it should be. JUST A QUESTION. Not once did I say I myself was starting a company that I wanted to get a better understanding on how others have gained their business. But I guess I was asking on the wrong "professional" site

gnubler

I got "lucky" and acquired a business that was closing and got all the accounts. I'm three years in business and a lot of them are still with me. Some I probably scared away, oh well. About half of my customer base came with the business, and the other half are new. Most new people find me online, or are referred by an existing customer. I'm in a small town and word of mouth is king.

I often get jobs while out on installations. People see me doing something and approach me about a sign project they need done.

Boudica

It was literally just a question. I have seen so many people ask but only a simple question and all you people want to make more of it than what it should be. JUST A QUESTION. Not once did I say I myself was starting a company that I wanted to get a better understanding on how others have gained their business. But I guess I was asking on the wrong "professional" site
And this is literally an online forum, people are allowed to participate. You post a vague question, and then get pissy when someone wants more information. You are not the only one in the room, get over yourself.

scottsnyder

And this is literally an online forum, people are allowed to participate. You post a vague question, and then get pissy when someone wants more information. You are not the only one in the room, get over yourself.
Sigh.... I am not going to continue to entertain you any longer. I am strictly here for answers. I shall no longer respond to you after this. Have a nice day.

Boudica

Sigh.... I am not going to continue to entertain you any longer. I am strictly here for answers. I shall no longer respond to you after this. Have a nice day.
Sometimes to get answers, you need to have an actual question.
Oh, around here, it's ..... Have a GREAT day! BTW, you are not very entertaining. Good luck with your Fresh Start, you or the friend you were asking for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're fully baked alright................. how do I find these threads ??

Okay, so in 'carrying on'...... why do you ask such thoughtless questions ??

You started out with 'pondering'. In my book, that means you wanna hear about... just about everything. We answer you with more questions you didn't think of and you bite peoples' heads off and with snarly dimwitted comebacks. You won't get sh!t with your question. Just answers that are hitting on barely what you need. Then, your real question comes out about 'wondering how to get a first client'. I'm supposed to guess what a 'client reach out' is in your mind. First you say pondering, then wondering, but in my book a client reach out is a well thought out plan and all the various ways of doing it. Again, you're vague, because of your lack of business savvy and really wanna bash members.

So, in trying to reach a person such as yourself in dialog, we've got to stoop to your level. Nope, no interest in helping a nobody. You are more fun to watch...... like a cat playing with a mauled mouse.

Carry on and have a Great Day !!! :rock-n-roll:

JBurton

Signtologist
Frankly guys, sounds like he's spent the previous few hours profiling a difficult material, just came back from lunch break fully baked, and was thinking to himself, 'wow, ya know, my boss pays me, but other people pay him, for stuff I do' and had such an existential moment that he thought he'd reach out... and get slapped!
Freal though, pound the pavement, carry a portfolio if your oldschool or an instatok link if you're young and ask businesses if they have any X needs. (the X is where you put signage, or printed ping pong balls, or whatever you specialize in). Facebook is great if you want to wade through tons of 'how much for' just so they can sh*t on your pricing.