• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New to sign making and need lots of advice!

MI Bearcat

Quick question, are you ordering multiple times a year, or once a year? I'd get a quote for 1k, 10k, and 50k signs, then figure out what you have the storage space for (and obviously whether it's economical to use it for sign storage) and then order the biggest quantity that you can afford.

He would need quite a bit of space just for the printer and cutter as well as storage space for all the 4 x 8 sheets he would need to buy so he must have a lot of spare room.

mkmie

Lost Soul
Sure, youll need to get a contractvwith a satellite company if your choice, get all of the required insurance they need. If they want a store front youll need one of those. You'll need to hire technicians unless you just want to be a single technician operation. If so you won't be purchasing anywhere near that many signs. Trucks, tools, ladders, meters. The list goes on. But if you were really interested I wouldn't be a jerk about it, I would help someone that was really wanting help.
I got insurance, I have a building, I have employees. Truck, tools, ladders, meters (probably different meters but what a couple of hundred bucks?) CHECK. I got a list too. It goes on and on also. "Signage" is just trying to point out how ridiculous your request is. Do you give away your expertise to anyone? We share our knowledge to advance our businesses or help those new to our business. NOT someone trying to circumvent our businesses. I don't know enough about the satellite business for an analogy but somehow stealing cable or dish broadcast might fit the bill.
Don't get pi**ed because basically the whole forum tells you to buy the signs at the incredible price your getting.
Ever hear the old saying "Jack of all Trades. Master of None".

netsol

Ya they aren't as friendly as you'd like them to be.

peerlessdani,
they really are not a bad bunch, a bit too quick to go to the pitchforks and flaming torches (like the villagers in the old black and white frankenstein movie) when someone decides they have sufficient volume to take sign production in house.

i certainly understand the reluctance to give away " trade secrets" but over the years in my other businesses (commercial video consultant in the late 1970's and '80's & computer consultant in the 1990's to present day) i have assisted many clients "taking operations in house". we always maintained a good relationship with former clients, and many times got much more business from them after assisting inhouse operations.

i imagine this is one of those issues where i will be at odds with many in our group.
i wish fusiontech good luck in his venture, and will assist wherever i can

netsol

So screen printing would be the way to go? If I were to do a screen printer would that help with the costs per sign or woukd i still be somewhere in that same price range?

fusiontechs

i still think a partnership/timeshare/joint venture, perhaps with someone with screen printing experience is ideal. your learning curve stops being a problem, with experienced partner.

someone who wants to do political signs is only busy for election season.
whole rest of the year to produce your signs
partner with someone who can't afford the screen printing/flatbed equipment
let him produce your signs & earn "sweat equity"

i would look on craigslist for an experienced production person, interested in being your. inhouse sign department

you gain the flexibility of being able to produce or purchase screen printed signs (run the numbers, see which way makes sense) but, with the right partner, you can keep that extra production capacity in play. you stil have the option of buying ebay/craigslist or a liquidator like lease acceptance. i would shop for the right employee (potentially partner?)
this will decide what mix of equipment/ technology works for you both

a little outside the box thinking, and your original idea to shave the margins might really work

fusiontechs

Quick question, are you ordering multiple times a year, or once a year? I'd get a quote for 1k, 10k, and 50k signs, then figure out what you have the storage space for (and obviously whether it's economical to use it for sign storage) and then order the biggest quantity that you can afford.

We typically order 2-3k a month at a time

fusiontechs

I got insurance, I have a building, I have employees. Truck, tools, ladders, meters (probably different meters but what a couple of hundred bucks?) CHECK. I got a list too. It goes on and on also. "Signage" is just trying to point out how ridiculous your request is. Do you give away your expertise to anyone? We share our knowledge to advance our businesses or help those new to our business. NOT someone trying to circumvent our businesses. I don't know enough about the satellite business for an analogy but somehow stealing cable or dish broadcast might fit the bill.
Don't get pi**ed because basically the whole forum tells you to buy the signs at the incredible price your getting.
Ever hear the old saying "Jack of all Trades. Master of None".

I'm not pissed, maybe flabbergasted at some of the responses but based upon the responses of people that actually tried to educate me (without being rude about it) it definitely sounds like it's an endeavor I don't need to attempt. I do appreciate everyone that has been helpful with this though

fusiontechs

peerlessdani,
they really are not a bad bunch, a bit too quick to go to the pitchforks and flaming torches (like the villagers in the old black and white frankenstein movie) when someone decides they have sufficient volume to take sign production in house.

i certainly understand the reluctance to give away " trade secrets" but over the years in my other businesses (commercial video consultant in the late 1970's and '80's & computer consultant in the 1990's to present day) i have assisted many clients "taking operations in house". we always maintained a good relationship with former clients, and many times got much more business from them after assisting inhouse operations.

i imagine this is one of those issues where i will be at odds with many in our group.
i wish fusiontech good luck in his venture, and will assist wherever i can

Thank you so much for understanding

fusiontechs

fusiontechs

i still think a partnership/timeshare/joint venture, perhaps with someone with screen printing experience is ideal. your learning curve stops being a problem, with experienced partner.

someone who wants to do political signs is only busy for election season.
whole rest of the year to produce your signs
partner with someone who can't afford the screen printing/flatbed equipment
let him produce your signs & earn "sweat equity"

i would look on craigslist for an experienced production person, interested in being your. inhouse sign department

you gain the flexibility of being able to produce or purchase screen printed signs (run the numbers, see which way makes sense) but, with the right partner, you can keep that extra production capacity in play. you stil have the option of buying ebay/craigslist or a liquidator like lease acceptance. i would shop for the right employee (potentially partner?)
this will decide what mix of equipment/ technology works for you both

a little outside the box thinking, and your original idea to shave the margins might really work

This is an excellent idea! I will definitely look into this option. Thank you for the help :)

Ready

Ready To Go
I own a company that uses standard sized yard signs as our primary source for advertising. We use a LOT of signs per year, somewhere in the range of 25-30k signs a year. I've gotten our sign supplier down to quite a low cost on these but lately I'm starting to wonder if I were to purchase a machine for myself and print them myself if I were to save enough money to make it worthwhile.
Problem is I have no knowledge in this industry and not really looking to sell signs to anyone, rather just save myself some money over the long run. I understand there's an upfront cost to purchasing such a machine and I've come across global garage but I have no idea what I'd be looking for.
From what I've researched (which I'll admit isn't much) it seems like the flatbed printer with an LED UV bulb is the way to go? I've heard there are even printers with hoppers as well?
So if someone could point me in the direction of what kind of printer I should be looking for as well as suppliers I could get the coroplast and stakes from as well as ink that would be awesome! Thanks in advance

Some things to consider- Cost of a good reliable Flatbed; Training someone to run and maintain the Flatbed; A computer & Software to create your signs; On going Maintenance for the equipment; Ink; floor space; If you print on 4'X8' sheets, you need to be concerned with registration & size & you will have to cut them up; You'll need a decent cutter; you may need additional insurance... I may be leaving things out that other sign professionals can add to the list.

Lots of folks on this site also outsource work when it makes sense. Hope this helps in the evaluation.

Just sayin' Bob P
x