• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy New to the forum, and wide format printing.

Joe Mc

Screen Printer for many years, now having to offer banners, helmet decals, labels,stickers, etc.
Have a Roland VG540i.Prints great,but contour cutting is iffy.Seems like I have to put in a new blade for every order,and these aren't huge runs.And even though I calibrate the cutting all the time, there is always waste due to inaccurate cutting.These are really the only 2 issues I have with this printer(other than a replacement media clamp is $145, for one side!).If anyone has any tips or tricks to deal with these 2 issues, I would be very appreciative.Thank you and I am happy to have found this site.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Have you checked the offset for the inaccurate cutting? You shouldn't have to replace the blade every time. Perhaps work on downforce and cutting speed to get the cuts that you want.
One more thing to check would be the cutting strip. If the cutting strip has cuts in it, it might need to be replaced.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Probably a good chance the cutting strip has holes in it vs your blade going blunt quickly. Unless you’re setting the pressure waaaay too high. (It’s not meant to cut all the way through lol)

with regards to media guards; why are you changing them frequently? I have an 8 y/o mimaki that still has its original parts. If they ever bend etc I just whip them off, bend them back then screw em back in.

Joe Mc

Probably a good chance the cutting strip has holes in it vs your blade going blunt quickly. Unless you’re setting the pressure waaaay too high. (It’s not meant to cut all the way through lol)

with regards to media guards; why are you changing them frequently? I have an 8 y/o mimaki that still has its original parts. If they ever bend etc I just whip them off, bend them back then screw em back in.
Lol, yes I don't know much, but I do know that the cut line should barely be visible on the backing paper.One of the media clamps came loose and crashed the head and it bent it up pretty badly.We have tried getting the right bend in it, but it has to be just right so that it doesn't come in contact with the head.I want to replace it, But $145 for this little thing seems excessive.I guess we'll keep trying to get the angle right.
I'll change out the cutting strip and see if that solves the blade issue.As far as cutting accuracy, some of the things I have to cut won't allow for a bleed.I just wish it would cut with greater accuracy.Somebody told me that a latex printer and a cutter is the way to go;I would think that you would have the same problems.

rjssigns

If you want to cure your Roland cutting issues once and for all buy a standalone cutter like Summa. That's what I did. Ended up selling the printer but I still have the Summa.;)

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Lol, yes I don't know much, but I do know that the cut line should barely be visible on the backing paper.One of the media clamps came loose and crashed the head and it bent it up pretty badly.We have tried getting the right bend in it, but it has to be just right so that it doesn't come in contact with the head.I want to replace it, But $145 for this little thing seems excessive.I guess we'll keep trying to get the angle right.
I'll change out the cutting strip and see if that solves the blade issue.As far as cutting accuracy, some of the things I have to cut won't allow for a bleed.I just wish it would cut with greater accuracy.Somebody told me that a latex printer and a cutter is the way to go;I would think that you would have the same problems.
I have an HP 315 latex printer. And a Roland stand alone cutter. If you look at the offset on the cutter, you can adjust it so that it will cut accurately.

Joe Mc

If you want to cure your Roland cutting issues once and for all buy a standalone cutter like Summa. That's what I did. Ended up selling the printer but I still have the Summa.;)
RJS, do you find that the Summa is more accurate?I have been thinking about going in that direction ...

Dave213

RJS, do you find that the Summa is more accurate?I have been thinking about going in that direction ...

Had crazy cutting problem with my roland and I bought a Graphtec cutter.
I can print and cut at the same time and I no longer have cutting problems. 100% accurate every time.
Graphtec or summa, both work really well.

Joe Mc

Had crazy cutting problem with my roland and I bought a Graphtec cutter.
I can print and cut at the same time and I no longer have cutting problems. 100% accurate every time.
Graphtec or summa, both work really well.
Thanks Dave, is there a particular model I should check out?

rjssigns

I've only used Summa and have been very happy with accuracy/tracking. So nice to be able to load, get it running then walk away. Only had a couple issues with contour cuts and that was my own fault.

But I haven't used anything else so can't compare against a Graphtec for example.

karst41

Leo at Pioneer Neon taught me this.
Leo ultimately went to work for Graphtec and he was lost to a plane crash in Dallas about 27 years ago. Truly one of the good ones.

The Quick test is to remove blade holder and use your thumb nail
to check for light scratch.

When adjusting your blade/speed and force do your test plot.
Triangle inside a square. the corners should not be raised up.
if it does, Your blade is too deep.
Weed the square first. the triangle should remain.
Now remove the triangle. You should see a very light scratch
in the backing sheet, and should be even depth.
If uneven a 1/8 - 1/4 turn is all you need. If still uneven
increase down pressure by 1.

For 3m SC 50 series, force is 18 speed is 20,
An OEM Graphtec blade will cut about 60 full rolls of 24" vinyl.

Same goes for contour cutting. I am using IJ 35C with 8509 Luster lam
and a CB 15 blade. This requires a Force of 21 and I prefer speed of 20.
I like the Aluminum blade holder for this.

The IJ180 c3 and 8519 I use the red tip blade holder with a CB15 blade.
Downforce set to 18 and speed of 20.

As always, make sure the blades leaves a very light and even score.
You blades will last a long long time.

PAPER DULLS BLADES.